Jacks321 PPM question, new to using Jack's please explain

Hello everybody I would very much appreciate it if someone could break down how to use jacks321. Up till now I have used a combo of a few different liquid nutes with my grows , but with my next set of girls that I’m growing I am planning on giving jacks321 a try and using coco instead of fox farm soils like I have in the past. So I guess what my question is how do I control the ppm level using Jack’s? Like with my liquid nutes it tells me how much to use per gallon and I can either add more or less to get to the PPM level I desire. From what I understand Jack’s wants me to use 3g, 2g, and 1g of their stuff per gallon of water I’m guessing? But if that’s the amounts i am supposed to use how would I go about getting a lower or higher ppm per gallon of nutes mixed if I’m supposed to stick with the 3g, 2g, 1g? If you guys follow what I’m trying to say. I’m about to just mix up a gallon with the 321 mix and see what my ppm level is but say I wanted to go higher or lower with it how would I go about that ? Or is Jack’s something where the ppm dosent matter cause I’m getting the correct amount of compounds based on their 321 mix? I’m just confused and really need someone to explain this to me because the next set of plants I’m going to be using it on are already a week or so old and I need to start feeding . Any help would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who can help !

@Hellraiser @PurpNGold74 @BobbyDigital @Mark0427 @dbrn32 @SilvaBack203 @Tylersays @Pet_de_Chien
Tagging you guys just because I know I have either talked to you recently or have seen that you have used Jack’s at some point or another on here . Please tag in anyone else that you may know who could help me out with this please and thank you!

6 Likes

The standard full strength Jack’s mix is as follows

Part A: 3.6 grams per gallon
Epsom Salt: 1.2 grams per gallon
Part B: 2.4 grams per gallon

Listed in this order because this is the order you mix them in. Make sure the first 2 additions are mixed well before you add Part B.

9 Likes

@ReelOfishalTrees so would that mean when using Jack’s that I shouldn’t be as concerned on the PPM of the mix as I would be when mixing up my batch of liquid nutes ?

6 Likes

Feed the same amount from start to finish except for the first 2 weeks of flower. You’ll want to add an MPK booster for the first 2 weeks of flower (0-52-34) try to get something close to that range for MPK booster.
The MKP booster feeding goes as follows

Part A: 2 grams per gallon
Epsom salt: 2 grams per gallon
Part B: 2.7 grams per gallon
MPK booster: 2.4 grams per gallon.

6 Likes

Exactly. They should give you the 1,000-1100 ppm range everytime using that formula.

4 Likes

Also with being in Coco you are definitely going to want to get some silica. You will need to mix that in first before adding any nutes at all.

4 Likes

@ReelOfishal Been reading along. Going this route in a few weeks. The silica, you mean add that in the water before nutes?

1 Like

321 is the ratio, 3 parts, 2 parts, 1 part. So the 3.6 grams hydroponic blend, 1.2 grams epsom, and 2.4 grams calcium nitrate is correct in that order.

Most don’t have to adjust ppm of solution much, but you can always water down if need be. I wouldn’t suggest cutting ratio if you are trying to mix 1 gallon or less, too much possibly for imbalance of mixture.

10 Likes

Yes. I am currently in soil so I haven’t messed with the silica yet, but I’m starting my photo run here in a week or 2 and will be switching to coco. Silica needs to be mixed in the water before adding nutes.

2 Likes

Covered above… :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2:

2 Likes

@ReelOfishalTrees @dbrn32 cool awesome I’m starting to understand a little better , another question that just came to mind. Say I wanted to add some sort of conditioner like fish shit or tribus or whatever , would I add that in before the Jack’s like I would with the silica ? Also when adjusting PH would that be done after mixing like normal ? And by normal I mean like I would with the liquid nutes I usually use

4 Likes

Exactly this. Occasionally you will have a plant that might need more than the other plants of something else.

Example let’s say you have a plant showing calcium deficiency when the others aren’t. You can add more Part B (cal/nit) or let’s say you have a magnesium deficiency in one plant you can up the Epsom Salt (mag/sulf)

5 Likes

I use recharge with mine, so I’m not familiar with fish shit. I add my recharge after I mixed everything and adjusted the PH. Yes after you mix everything you adjust ph like usual. Maybe @dbrn32 can answer this, but I thought I read somewhere you need to ph the water after you add the silica before adding 321 then ph again after 321.

5 Likes

Great coverage right there. Your ladies will love it

4 Likes

Well, I kinda step outside of what most here do. I don’t add silica until my jacks is mixed completely. Then I dillute 5ml potassium silicate solution into about 1 cup of water per gallon of jacks solution. With my ph probe in solution I stir in small amounts of my diluted silicate solution until ph of jacks reaches 5.8. For 1 gallon it will take about the whole cup with 5ml. Then I add tribus and apply to plants.

10 Likes

I do similar to @dbrn32 :point_up_2:stated, at the end. I use 1 gal premix (dry)pot/sil at ph5.8 as a buffer in early flower after any training I’m doing.

My microbes however, I only top feed after a feeding, or alone every other day.
I want them to stay in the oxygenated root zone (concentrated), created by the gravity drainage of my previous feed. Just .03

4 Likes

I’m sure someone has said it, but it’s not necessary. You want to make sure your final solution is at correct ph when you apply it media/plants. How you get there isn’t important unless its specifically to avoid a reaction between elements. This is why you see a lot of people say to add silica first. Potassium silicate is much more stable in lower concentrations, so getting it diluted first is easier for a lot of people to work with. If not, it binds with other elements and will precipitate out of solution.

You’ll know if you mess up. Your solution will get cloudy and/or have little white floaties in it. It’s not very difficult to spot as long as you mix in a clean container.

Back in the day general hydroponics ph up was Potassium silicate. So as long as you were adjusting your solution up you were adding silica at the end. I assure you it was possible and worked fine. But issues with stuff not being in suspension first and highly concentrated silica coming straight out of the bottle gave people problems and led to most changing their recipes to mostly potassium carbonate i think.

8 Likes

Ahh ok that makes sense! Thank you so much for the information.

3 Likes

Still hangin around after 10+yrs, don’t use much of this one.

3 Likes

I do it in this order:

1. silica
  2. Jacks part A
  3. epsom salt
  4. make sure everything is mixed well and dissolved, then add Jacks part B
  5. check ph, adjust as needed
  6. add microbes (like tribus or fishsh!t)
10 Likes