Jacks in Coco issues

I should be watering everyday?

1 Like

In coco…absolutely. unless a seedling

2 Likes

You should be feeding, not “watering”. The plants above especially. Shoot for at or around lights on and slowly soak pots until you get a good amount of runoff. If they are dry halfway through light cycle you should be feeding again. Being nearly dry at lights out is pretty ideal.

4 Likes

Ok that makes sense. Ill have figure this timing out. So the coco should never be drying out at all correct?

2 Likes

Ok thanks, I’m afraid of things like root rot and them being over watered.

1 Like

Never is a strong word. General information is you should not be letting coco dry completely out. But If your pots are holding some moisture through most of the light cycle is pretty good. You wouldn’t want to soak pots again right before lights out, but you don’t want them sitting most of the light cycle dry either.

When you find people that love coco it’s typically because of the ability to feed at high frequency. When you find people that hate coco it’s typically because of the need to feed at a high frequency. The constant feedings usually result in explosive plant growth, but comes at cost of more work or automated system. Growing is coco is surely not for everyone, but definitely has it’s benefits once you get a feel for it.

4 Likes

This is what I was hoping for. The more interaction due to the daily watering is something I was looking forward to. I just got to dial in when to feed them, picking them up doesn’t seem to work as well as it did in soil.

1 Like

If you pick pot up right after watering to runoff you’ll know a dry pot when you pick it up.

One thing probably not emphasized enough is feed slowly. Coco becomes hydrophobic quickly when it dries. You almost have to pre-wet top of pot with a little bit of your nutrient solution and let it soak some. Otherwise it will bead right off top and run out or down the sides of your pot. I forget what size pot you’re using, but a mostly full 3 gallon pot of coco that’s dry will easily take a gallon of solution before you start to get runoff if allowed to soak in.

The plant below is in 5 gallon fabric and would get 2.5-3 gallons twice daily in middle of summer.

3 Likes

I used an automated pump for watering.

I used this chart from coco for cannabis to help time my feedings.

2 Likes