Jack Herer Auto got seeds any ideas

Just harvested Jack in the seed stalk lol
Wondering if anyone can help me understand how so far (I’m sure there will be more when I get them ready to jar) I have found 20 seeds most look viable in an Auto that grew entirely in the veg tent as was the only one in flower the entire grow in that tent?

Any thoughts as these were my first round of Autos and this one was on 18/6 under photo boost lights with a tent full of veg plants. I’m happy I have some seeds and if they are viable will they also be Auto Fems?
What are some possible reasons that she did produce seeds?

Thanks all for your thoughts

2 Likes

The only way is she was pollinated. With buds that thick it would be really easy to miss a banana.

2 Likes

If the plant is allowed to get REALLY mature then entirely possible that they can seed. I had the same thing happen to my autos and @Not2SureYet reminded me of that. The photo that was in the space with them is seed free.

2 Likes

Good to know that info.
The seed was in there before I removed it and put it in the ash tray with the others.
I was popping them out as I saw them while trimming.
Was tailed on 5-1 and soil on 5-3 started to flower around 6-10 did have a hick up watering let her get real dry and Big fan leaves shrunk down to crispys almost overnight was weird. That was about 7-28 and chopped her tonight.
So will the seeds if viable also be Auto fems? I’m happy I have them if that’s the case!
This wet weight was just short of 2 pounds (878g) so was happy with that too

2 Likes

I believe you have some bonus fem autos.

1 Like

She probably stressed in some way, heat will do it, maybe one of the spider mites got her pregnant LOL. I am not sure about Auto, but they are FEM with a Hermie trait in their DNA. I have raised plants from hermied seeds and have had pretty good luck with them. Just remember they do have a propensity to do the same thing as their mother so be ready to move her away from others quickly or maybe even axe it if need be.

1 Like

Nice yield. I’m doing 2 JHA’s now, about 10 weeks from tail, and yours look nicer. Some yield.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info @Holmes
The environment was well within range highs 82/40% lows 72/45%
Only stress was repelling the mites with her Brix superpower?
One other stresses was a missed watering that caused fans to crumble but she kept bulking out and had some new sugar leaf growth after that just no more fans.
Mother nature and her curve balls…
I’ll keep an eye out for that when I drop them later on.
20 plus seeds for free can’t complain about that for sure!

2 Likes

Thanks @SteveC
These were my first Auto grows and Jack went beyond my expectations! Looking forward to trying out this strain in a couple weeks for sure

Hope yours grow awesome

1 Like

Cost of using feminized seeds in my opinion. People have discounted for a number of reasons, but those nanners popped a while ago if you have fully developed seeds at normal harvest time. People say things like “I got bonus feminized seeds” all the time. They are herm seeds plain and simple.

1 Like

So does that mean the seeds won’t be a good choice to use?
Will produce herm plants more than likely or it’s a toss up?
Still learning the nuances of this stuff

1 Like

Yea all the others in that tent are still in veg…

I’m going to point out that not all seeds are created equal. Growers use colloidal silver to promote males to then pollinate, I get it. BUT, as @dbrn32 pointed out; the use of feminized seeds is unnatural and there is a latent tendency in all feminized seeds to be hermaphrodites. This tendency CAN be increased under certain conditions. But when you have one or two plants, carefully tended, in among other flowering plants and those seed while the others don’t, is a big indication that something else besides ‘nanners’ is going on IMO. I had a Sour Diesel fem seed on me due to an extreme heat wave. I saved and distrubuted and grew seeds from that plant: all (more than 6) produced beautiful mature big cola plants with no seeds.

Running an auto almost to the point of dying will sometimes cause them to seed. Without any balls being present IME.

3 Likes

Toss up. I would expect at a bare minimum a repeat of what you’re seeing now.

1 Like

I’m a little confused by this. If you have a female that you use colloidal silver on it or rhodelise and get pollen from it and pollenate a female then both parents DNA is female right? Don’t all cannabis plants carry the Hermie gene to some degree, because they will all turn after a certain point to pollenate itself for species survival, or no? If a female has a sex change its still got female chromosomes, adding a D doesn’t change that right? Just trying to wrap my head around it.