Jack Herer AF, our 2nd AF grow

@beardless @BudzMS @Lee25
1/12, week 11 form seed, week 5 of flower.
Harvested Southpaw today, trimmed and hung to dry. Monitoring closely the temps and humidity since the closet/grow area has been converted into the drying room. Current drying conditions are; 55% RH and 68F. Running warm mist humidifier since the winter air is so dry and also for heat as the LED light no longer is in the room (drying in the dark). Working to achieve optimum conditions of 45-50% RH and 65-70F. Still need to tweak a few things. Pic of trichomes is fairly representative of buds thru-out.

Northwind is not ready but trichomes are cloudy, waiting for some amber. I’m guessing she will be ready to cut Saturday. These pics are her trichomes.

All comments and recommendations are welcomed.

1 Like

looks like ur almost there. what are you using for a microscope?

1 Like

@BudzMS
I’m not sure of the brand name for the microscope. It was bought to use with my coin collection so it’s doing double duty. It has zoom adjustment from 20X - 800X. Lighting and angle/height adjustments take a little patience and then you gotta get everything to quit moving or shaking before taking the pic.

1 Like

lol double duty. I need to pick one up, im shopping around

1 Like

I like the one I have. It is a Plugable USB 2. I changed out the flex stand it came with to a solid one though.

1 Like

@beardless
Nice pics!

Drying room is dark and heat is stabilized 65-70F, still trying to up RH from 38% to anything 45-50%. Trying wet sponges in an open top container setting in front of the thermostatically controlled heater air flow and a wet industrial mop head spread out over the mop bucket.
Northwind is outside dark room still under LED 18-6. 68F and 48% RH. I will get some new microscope pics tomorrow to check the trichomes for amber color.

I’ll check that one out. I appreciate it

1 Like

can’t wait to see it

1/14 Northwind trichome pics. Starting to turn but not enough to harvest. Will wait 2-3 more days.

1 Like

@BudzMS @beardless @Lee25
1/19, week12 from seed, week 5 of flower.
Southpaw has been drying for 1 week. Checked moisture in the stems with a meter and readings were 8.5-14%. Removed all buds and put in jars with Boveda 62% packs and will check often. Jar lids from Engineered Essentials have hygrometer built into them.

It’s looking like the buds may be a little dry despite my efforts to keep humidity up in the drying room. Gonna give things a day or 2 to settle in. May need to rehydrate to get to 62% sweet spot. Dry weight = 33 grams. Like anyone, I wish it was better. Will comment on quality after curing a couple weeks.
Still watering Northwind that is still under the grow light. I’ve scoped the trichomes every other day and see slow or no changes to amber on the lower buds. The main cola is ready for harvest. I’m planning to cut and hang Friday.

what was the humidity when you sealed them?

In the low 50% range. Put some cut stems in the jars to try and help. I’d read somewhere it may help. If necessary I may try small pieces of tortilla. That has also been mentioned as a rehydrating method.

1 Like

If this happens to me I will put the buds and stems in a tote and let the moisture in the stems hydrate the buds. It gives you a couple more days of dry time.

2 Likes

1/26, Southpaw has cured 7 days today. Jars in darkness, maintaining 68-72F, and 57-60% RH, and Boveda 62% pack. Smell just keeps getting better.

1/22, cut Northwind, trimmed fan leaves, cut branches from trunk, topped the main cola, and hung to dry. Drying room started at 36% RH @ 68F. Added warm mist humidifier and raised conditions to 49%RH at 72F in a short time. Added a small fan about 5’ away to circulate the humidity thru the closet. Been able to keep things pretty stable despite the dry winter air. Distilled water for the humidifier has been running almost 3 gal. per 24 hours. With some good luck I’m hoping to jar these buds in 3 more days. Checked a few stems with a moisture meter today and found readings from 20-30%. Outside of buds are starting to dry.
As always, comments and advice are welcomed.

1 Like

It’s so mind blowing to be growing and harvesting in the dead of winter. Never thought I’d see the day. SMH

1 Like

nice yield. I can’t wait to harvest mine

1 Like

Thanks, you always hope for more but my goal on this grow was 100 gr for 2 plants. We’ll probably fall short of that but better than the last grow…progress.
Good luck with your harvest, I hope it is your best ever.

1 Like

I appreciate it, maybe you will get that 100 grams, they look good

1 Like