Its that time again

Close, but no blunt :laughing:, New York :grin:

2 Likes

ahhhhh,of course. well be safeā€¦enjoy your big day tomorrow.

I donā€™t really celebrate Fatherā€™s Day haha my wife and kids like to make a it deal of it but was never much for me personally but my wife got me a dope shirt :laughing: she said itā€™ll be here tomorrow lol

My sons birthday is Monday thatā€™s what Iā€™m excited for :grin:

1 Like

Excellent ,you have a great week ahead. Congratsā€¦

1 Like

Thank you!

@beachglass
Well,2-11 has been hanging in 76*/ 53% - 58% humidity for 141 hrs now and thereā€™s no sign of even the weakest branch snapping. The fan leaves within bud sights are very crispy as also sugar leaves are very dry and curling.In the dark with a very low power flash light shining through the bud back at me ,Iā€™m seeing a lot of light.Iā€™m not sure but this being my first shot ,Iā€™m thinking I was lagging in my timing with certain procedures and acted too conservatively wit defoliation and removing larf. WWA seems to be very hardy and for that I am certainly thankful. Bottom line is those indoor plants have Too Much Going on especially after all Iā€™ve managed to put them through.

So my concern is now
1)with tiny little buds would they not possibly over dry if Iā€™m queuing on branches? (both large and small)
2)There appears to be a ton of trichomes on sugar leaves so Iā€™m looking for suggestions as to whether to leave a bit of them on what looks to be smaller buds or get them out of there entirely.
3)What can I do with the worthy trimmings that doesnā€™t require another whole system to create?
4)Should I lower the dehumidifier in the dry room to 50%?Its currently set @ 55% but its not very well ventilated as its a vault really, but I have a fan up pushing warm air out and one down low pulling cool air in BUT when the dehumidifier runs it generates heat and we get to 77 degrees.
I have two hygrometers hanging on the line with the branches and both say 76.5* and 55%-56% humidity.
5)I am considering doing a bit of wet trimming on the next coming out of the hot box.There appears to be some debate on what is best,
Wet while trichomes are fresh and not easily dislodged of shed off,or
Dry as leaves left on can just be brushed off with a quick,well placed swipe of the scissors.
Iā€™m very interested in your thoughts.
6)Iā€™ ve got little ladies,7 of then in Solo cups full of Lightning Warrior Soil and was curious when to start feeding Bergmans Seedling Booster? They are sativa dominant autos(5 skywalker haze and 2 whiskey zulus, the Whiskey zulus and 1SWHA is going outdoors and Iā€™m guessing I need to adhere to a 50% solution of recommended rates.But do you feed bi weekly,weekly?
And thanks again but if I keep typing ,Iā€™ll keep askingā€¦

@Mikedin I thought u may be talking wny. we have wineries ā€¦I think 6 within 16 miles. Farms, applesā€¦Live on lake erie. Hi neighbor!!!

1 Like

@jorkvilleyoe Hi there. Have you harvested? I must have missed it. I have a moisture meter to check the drying. 11 being the sweet spot. I donā€™t trust the bending thing.
I cut fan leaves off. keep sugar leaves on for somewhat slower dry. I use a trim bin and catch alll the larf and small buds and all.
55% is good for the rh. Your temp is too high though. Try to keep at 60ā°. This is hard to do this time of year.
After I do a bud wash, I just take off big leaves. I have a brush to use for the first layer of dry. Then the scissors com out again.
I donā€™t use Bergman nutes or grow autos, canā€™t give opinion on that. Anyhoo have a great day.

2 Likes

What kind of moisture meter do you use? I have one for checking my logs for the wood stove is that the type you are taking about?

2 Likes

Itā€™s not possible to maintain 60*,not yet anyway.
What type of moisture meter is it that you use? Perhaps a pic or link.And how is it used,must you penetrate a bud with it?

1 Like

@MrPeat
Sorry to trouble you but I have some concerns with this first grow and was hoping you could help me out with some of your knowledge.
Ty in advance.
From a previous post I asked the following:Well,2-11 has been hanging in 76*/ 53% - 58% humidity for 141 hrs now and thereā€™s no sign of even the weakest branch snapping. The fan leaves within bud sights are very crispy as also sugar leaves are very dry and curling.In the dark with a very low power flash light shining through the bud back at me ,Iā€™m seeing a lot of light.Iā€™m not sure but this being my first shot ,Iā€™m thinking I was lagging in my timing with certain procedures and acted too conservatively wit defoliation and removing larf. WWA seems to be very hardy and for that I am certainly thankful. Bottom line is those indoor plants have Too Much Going on especially after all Iā€™ve managed to put them through.

So my concern is now
1)with tiny little buds would they not possibly over dry if Iā€™m queuing on branches? (both large and small)
2)There appears to be a ton of trichomes on sugar leaves so Iā€™m looking for suggestions as to whether to leave a bit of them on what looks to be smaller buds or get them out of there entirely.
3)What can I do with the worthy trimmings that doesnā€™t require another whole system to create?
4)Should I lower the dehumidifier in the dry room to 50%?Its currently set @ 55% but its not very well ventilated as its a vault really, but I have a fan up pushing warm air out and one down low pulling cool air in BUT when the dehumidifier runs it generates heat and we get to 77 degrees.
I have two hygrometers hanging on the line with the branches and both say 76.5* and 55%-56% humidity.
5)I am considering doing a bit of wet trimming on the next coming out of the hot box.There appears to be some debate on what is best,
Wet while trichomes are fresh and not easily dislodged of shed off,or
Dry as leaves left on can just be brushed off with a quick,well placed swipe of the scissors.
Iā€™m very interested in your thoughts.
6)Iā€™ ve got little ladies,7 of then in Solo cups full of Lightning Warrior Soil and was curious when to start feeding Bergmans Seedling Booster? They are sativa dominant autos(5 skywalker haze and 2 whiskey zulus, the Whiskey zulus and 1SWHA is going outdoors and Iā€™m guessing I need to adhere to a 50% solution of recommended rates.But do you feed bi weekly,weekly?
And thanks again but if I keep typing ,Iā€™ll keep askingā€¦
Some pics from just this morning and was hoping youā€™ld take a look and offer your advice.

Is there an alternate means by which to check moisture levels during the drying stage?

2 Likes
  1. The larf buds will dry way to fast. These are my taste testers as they are just popcorn size buds. Many cut them off so the plant donā€™t waste energy on them.
    Thus its best to cut them off so the plant focuses on the big bud development.

2. I smoke ALL Sugar leaves. As I donā€™t waste the marijuana on edibles when they donā€™t work on me.

3. Any trimmings with trichomes you can freeze till you have enough. You can make hash, concentrates and edibles with it. But they need trichomes or itā€™s a complete bust.

4. I donā€™t know about the dehumidifier as I live in South Texas on the coastline. So I would be wasting power since the house does not have insulation, single pane windows and no drywall inside.

5. Doing wet and or dry trim has advantages and disadvantages. Doing wet itā€™s easier to trim IMHO as the leaves have not dried and crisp up. I do both. I drop as many fan leaves and other crappy leaves off wet trim. Then let it dry and remove what I didnā€™t get to
    during the wet trim.

6. I use only Fox Farms products exclusively. I have no idea about that soil. I place my seed with taproot straight into their forever home. Less headaches this way. When I use a new bag of FFOF, I top dressed with FFHF as a buffer. So I only know how to use FF. With new soil, I can go 4 to 6 weeks without needing to add nutrients. But what you have, no clue. If it has nutrients in tel he soil, I can see it lasting at least 4 weeks before needing nutrients.

This is when a TDS meter comes in handy. Many growers base feeding off how much PPM in runoff. What number, I have seen other growers say when it drops under 1k ppm, its time to feed.

For feeding I start with 1/4 dose and bump it up to 1/2 strength in like 2 weeks. Then after the first 4 weeks above ground to 6 weeks I go full strength.

Fox Farms is feeding 1 gallon water with nutrients twice a week and the other 5 days is straight water.

Caveatā€¦I do not use snapping the branches to determine when itā€™s dried. The buds should have a cotton ball feel to it.

Caveatā€¦get either Grove Bags and or Mason jars. Put a digital hygrometer in the mason jars. Once to 60% to 62%, you are in the sweet spot. Then just finishing upping and curing. Fire up.
Many growers are switching to grove bags as its so easy to use. Less work.

Caveatā€¦want to see how the plant is, take a larf bud and nuke it in the microwave on high for 1 min. Grind and smoke. This shows you how the high is.

1 Like

The seedlings are in Fox Farms Lightning Warrior in solo cups ,both are strains that are a sativa dominant hybrid auto. I had no choice in the solo cup debacle as there were no vacancies in the hot box.And unless I wanted to have an empty room and dump all that energy into 7 seedlings it had to be.
4 of the 5 Skywalker haze autos are going into the grow room in 5 gallon pots as soon as the last of the previous grow vacates the premises and sanitization and environmental upgrades are complete(1-2 days). A fifth Skywalker Haze Auto is going outside in a 7 gallon container along with the two Whiskey Zulu Autos also in 7 gallon fabric pots. Inside those pots(both indoors and out is a Promix HP w/ Perlite and worm castings than amended with kelp meal,bone meal ,blood meal and Jersey green sand after which there is 7-14 days cooking after being moistened with Liquid Karma/water @ 1 tbsp. per gallon.
I have both an Apera PH meter as well as Apera EC meter. Iā€™ve checked run off so many times in the last 5 weeks because the ladies were hitting the sauce every feeding and I turned them into problem children.
I have mason jars,lids ,vacuum sealer,brevada pacs,c vaults,and little hygrometers to go into the larger jars.(if there are anyā€¦lol.)
Thanks for the microwave info and Iā€™m guessing the flavor will improve with a proper cure.
What size pot are you feeding a gallon to daily,iā€™m guessing a 5 or 7. But I momentarily forgot your outdoors and hot so it maybe a very smokin 3 gallon.

@Mikedin @jorkvilleyoe Wood meter.

2 Likes

so you said 11% if
Iā€™m not mistaken and ty. Are the contacts close enough together to contact two points on the same bud?

1 Like

@MrPeat ,that i minute on high in the microwave maneuver is for off the plant,or out of the dry room previous to cure?

Ok perfect I have almost the same one in my cabinet for wood

@jorkvilleyoe the contacts are about 1.5ā€ apart on my meter so as long as youā€™re using it in a decent sized bud it should work, Iā€™d imagine mixing some larger and smaller buds together in the cure jar would even out the moisture in the buds but I could be wrong Iā€™ve never cured before so what I did was buy
1oz grove bags
A pack of 2way humidity packs
And a 12 pack of mini hydrometers that will go in both the grove bags and the mason jars Iā€™m planning to try and cure both ways and see what I like better

This is the one I have

2 Likes

Off the plant. Long as it has trichomes. You can do it also if you think itā€™s near dry.

1 Like

Please whatever do you mean by bud wash?

1 Like

After you cut them down, put in big bin with h2o2 and water and swish around a few times. Then rinse in 2 bins of plain water. this is only if you want or need to. If u have had some bug problems or moldā€¦Or if you grow outside, or in my case, cat hair, dustā€¦You donā€™t have to do this. Some do some donā€™t.

1 Like