It's tax refund time how much LED light can $1k buy

I want to build at least an 850 watt light to replace the three 600w (actual 275 watt) lights I’m using to flower in a 4 x 5 area. The max budget is $1,000 from my tax return. @dbrn32 any thoughts?

6 Likes

juicy! How much height do you have in the 4x5?

1 Like

@dbrn32 it’s 8 feet high. It’s a bedroom converted into a grow and flower room setup.

Oh, nice! Got a particular cob you like?

1 Like

Lol I think your about to light it up with 1K @OldSkunk

3 Likes

No preference. I’m deferring to you on this subject. I’m guessing I will have to build something with different spectrum cobs to cover the correct spectrum for flowering.

2 Likes

If I’m gonna do this right… I need a good light.:grin:

1 Like

Mixing them really isn’t necessary. Something like 3000k 90cri will give you everything you need and then some. But if you’ve seen something somewhere that makes you want to do that, it works too.

You’re not lacking in budget, so can go anyway you want it to. If you’re interested in the new quantum boards I think we could get close to 6 of them for $1000. Probably around $900 for boards, leds, and drivers. Frame design, wire, and hardware would probably eat up the other $100 or so.

Cobs you can do 75 watt bridgelux vero 29 luminous cxm-22, or a couple of the citizens for around $1 per watt still I think. Probably 9ish of those would do. 12 50 watt cobs would be a little more efficient, I think we can squeeze that into under $1000 too.

3 Likes

It would be nice to have a 1kw light with a high PAR. Will I be able to build something that can compete with 1kw HID/HPS without all of the heat? Even with my 3kw solar system, I don’t want to run AC unless it’s absolutely necessary.

2 Likes

If that’s all you’re after,

I can come up with the heatsinks no problem. There’s a metal supplier near me that has everything I need at very reasonable prices. I just need to get the COBs and drivers or would I be better to go with quantum boards?

I would like to follow along here if you don’t mind and learn about building your own light . I have 2 good size pieces of 3/16 aluminum diamond plate just collecting dust in my garage . lol Thinking of going to the dark side soon . QB .

1 Like

Either is a good choice. I tend to like the cobs a little better if their isn’t too much on the end of height restrictions.

The qb’s would probably an easier transition though. They’re a more diffuse light source, so a little more forgiving and versatile. and lots of grows around here with them for reference.

Up to you really though. I’ll try to give you the best information possible, but you’re the one that needs to be happy in the end.

2 Likes

@Seeddog It’s going to be interesting building a good light. I have built several out of low $ stuff and got decent results. I still use a couple of “Frankenstein” lights for seedlings and veg with great success.

So follow along and see how things turn out.

3 Likes

Those are great ! Thats the best part of building your own system is being able to build it for your immediate need and future needs like adding on more lights later on. FrankNstein Lights Patend Pending

3 Likes

I’m following this build for good reasons. You rock @OldSkunk

2 Likes

@OldSkunk for reference my light cost just less then $900 about 940-950 watts of light draws 1kw and change and rock solid buds half way down the plant.

4 Likes

What did you end up with for cob spacing on yours?

1 Like

I was going to point out that your growing style could affect the choice in lights you make. If you like to SCROG, a QB setup might make more sense than a COB. If you are doing LST with autos then the COB might suit you better.

I like the strips I built for my SCROG setup. AND NO MORE BLURPLE HAHAHA!

3 Likes

My spacing is staggered so it’s 12-15" from side to side and diagonally. I am actually going to do some changes on spacing before I spark up my next grow too. @dbrn32

2 Likes