Issues with light blocking my tent

I bought a cheap tent from Walmart ( not worth it). I’m having issues light blocking the 5x12 intake screen. There’s one 4’’ hole by it that I could use PVC to light block but my exhaust is 4” also. When I grew years ago I made a grow box. And for negative pressure your intake should be 1-1/2 time the exhaust. So Ia 6” hole would have been nice.

2 Likes

Welcomed to the community
You don’t need a tent you can grown in a closet room a soon you control the temp and the HR you be good

Happy growing

1 Like

media, that’s how I started out this time. Very had to get the heat out and light blocking almost impossible, as live in mobile home with the old siding closet doors. I might just try using the 4” intake and see what happens. Thanks for your reply.

2 Likes

This or any other cut to size HVAC filter (green might block light a little better than blue) will work if you use double or triple thickness. On a positive note, it also will catch any pet hair or dust, but of course the downside is that it reduces the CFM’s, but only a bit.
When I used to grow photo period plants, I had many extra pieces of this cut to go over the mesh openings. There are a few ways to keep it in place, sometimes you have to get creative. One way that worked for me was with very strong rare Earth magnets. One piece inside the tent, another on the outside, and a few magnets to pull them together.

In this pic, the side with the little green squares is the back. You want the air going through from the front to the back.

I can’t post a link here, but if you want the green stuff instead of the cheaper blue stuff from Amazon, go to Home Depot or Lowes. By coincidence, the way I found this stuff is because I live in a mobile home as well, and this is the filter that my furnace uses.

2 Likes

I’ve used duct tape and a black plastic trash bag to cover leaky vents.

3 Likes

Do you have a pic of the issue? I am a Design Engineer show me a pic of the issue and…with three tents… I have light under control.

1 Like

Cap_Ron, this is what I have right now.

It’s needing to be 6 layers thick. I have it metal taped at the moment.
Fiefie920, I had a tent in the past never had to worry about light blocking the vent. That’s way I say this is a cheap tent.
Ok guys let me ask you this. Right now I’m only running autos, but I want to run them 20/4. So if I’m running autos right now do I really have to worry about the dark period? I’ll get you a pic in a few. Thanks everyone.

1 Like

No, autos won’t be affected by light leaks. That’s the main reason I switched to them a few years ago. I wouldn’t go interrupting their dark time with bright flood lights or anything like that, but minor leaks are not a problem.

Similar to everything posted here, I cut these to size and they’ve been great.

Filtrete Odor Defense Carbon Prefilter Room Air Purifier Filter 2-Pack https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07XF1VG6G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_G2Q73H78W0YAY862J3P1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

your violent past, thanks so much for that link. I believe the suction will keep it in place also. The ones I have are 6 layers and a ton of tape to hold them together and on the tent. Thanks Fiefie920 and Cap_Ron for your help.

1 Like

Oh I promised to show pics.

I attach mine using Velcro tape!

Now i get it… I never have used those.

Always the intake port… Since yours is so small you could add an inline fan to it to force a bit more air through. As long as the sides of the tent are still sucking in… You still have negative air pressure.

First question like posted above your growing photos or autos ? I grow autos and l have small light leaks and I have had no problems so far

1 Like

How many round holes are in the tent?

I’m doing autos at the moment, but would like to be ready for photos, as I have seed. I might like auto and do them for a while. I had a large ice cream, she was doing great then I gave her some nutrients and she stopped growing at all ; pot still wet after 3 days. I found out the nutrients I was using was expired, and it threw her for a loop. She never received. I wish I took a picture of her before death she had about 13-16 tops mostly even with 4 main branches that I had to train daily.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your loss, it hurts I know. Depending on how dead she might be take a pic, lots of great people we might be able to help you and bring her back if not to far gone, sorry again and good luck

1 Like

kingkupa ,wish I had before I let her go. She was one pretty girl. Really starting to gain more of an interest in Autos,the more I read about them. They’ve come a Long way since 2008 when I grew before. Thanks for replying.

1 Like