Is'nt it better to have grow bags that are taller than they are wide?

I am new to growing indoors in pots or bags, and in fact have not grown much cannabis in years… I bought these new fabric grow bags, they are quite wide… Seems like most of them are like that? Right? Mine are 5 gallon bags, and are about 12.2" wide by 10.2" tall. Does everyone have grow bags like that? I am growing in soil… So,does anyone know, do the roots grow as much sideways as they grow down? Regular pots for plants are taller than they are wide, for the most part, I think… Do cannabis plant roots grow out sideways a lot right near the surface? Don’t all kinds of plant roots grow down more than sideways? I always assumed that as the soil drys out, it drys out on top first, so then the roots go down more, to try to get to the water… Right? So, it seems to me like pots or grow bags for any plant should be taller than they are wide? Right? Other wise the good soil up near the top is just being wasted? Or once the pot or grow bag starts to fill up with roots at lower half of the pot or bag, the toots near the top half grow more sideways? Anyone know how this works? And if grow bags that are wider than they are tall, are not so good?

1 Like

Welcome I’ve noticed the fiber cloth pots come in different dimensions depending on the maker. Personally I like the Wider pot better than tall skinny pot. I’ve used both the root system will fill the pot either dimension. Just my thoughts good luck

6 Likes

I prefer a wide pot for stability and ease of access. Plants will fill all available space with roots.

6 Likes

@Myfriendis410 I have a question for you, I have my outdoor in the greenhouse, one of the Afghans is showing 2 branches with what appears to be a cal mag deficiency? My question is, the last few days have been exceedingly hotter than any days this year so far, could this be a reaction to the extreme heat? My greenhouse hit 110 American yesterday. Im wondering if that may have caused a metabolic issue that should self correct with cooler temps? Does this sound right?
The other plants dont appear to be exhibiting this deficiency.

Because of the extreme heat I have been pouring the water to them the last couple days. I wont be watering for a few days.

1 Like

@Cannabian,
That 110° heat cannot be good for the plants. Sorry to butt in, but I wondered about something you said. Some of the other plants weren’t showing any problems. Were they all Afghans? What part of the country is your grow?

Im in southern BC and I have 3 Afghans and 1 Johaar sativa.
No 110 degrees is not much good for anything lol.

1 Like

I am somewhat if a redneck at times. When you dont have much $$ you have to make do with what you got. You can make it, or go out and buy something that “will have to do.” I agree with @Cannabian, @kellydans, and @Myfriendis410. A wider pot is going to be more stable. It will be harder to tip over with that wide root base. I would speculate that as long as they held the same amount of dirt/media, it would be a personal preference. That skinny tall pot may have an advantage over the wide one when it comes to LST or HST. You could tie one down at a steeper angle than you could with the wide pot. I’d still go with wide, because I can get too medicated and knock something over if I put my mind to it.

4 Likes

When it’s hot, uptake should go up. I would expect an excess but likely heat related.

2 Likes

yeah, I figure so too. Ive been reading some stuff about metabolism and it appears that is possibly the case. I hope the heat goes away soon.

1 Like

Including me! That’s about where our heat indexes have been lately. Sometimes higher. :dizzy_face: I think my plants hate it almost as much as I do. My little bonsai has been drinking almost a half gallon a day, in a 3g fabric pot.

But to answer to original question: It’s mostly personal preference. I like roughly even dimensions for the compromise between space efficiency and stability.

2 Likes

@kellydans. @AloysiusDevadanderAbercrombie. @Myfriendis410. @patchman . Thanks for the advice everyone!!!

3 Likes

No problem!