Vaping cannabis is a modern alternative to smoking joints. Vaporizing the cannabis is heating the dry herb flower material to a temperature below the combustion point. It produces a stream of vapor, which is sucked in through the mouthpiece. There are many different kinds of vapes used for this, but the most common ones these days are **[dry herb vape pens]
Is [ smoking marijuana ]) better than smoking cigarettes?" Better" is subjective. They are entirely different, so it depends on what you expect from the experience - but they can all do damage to your lungs! This is one reason that vapes or “vaporization” of marijuana have become increasingly popular over the past few years. But what’s vaping, and is it safe?
Which is less harmful?
Based on the available evidence, smoking joints seems to be more harmful than vaping. However, that does not mean vaping isn’t without some risk.
People who atomize marijuana with vapes believe it has health benefits and finds it safer and less harmful than smoking joints. Besides, cannabis vapes are designed explicitly for inhalation and are free of deleterious tobacco-toxins.
But what do the researchers say? Will vaping reduce the intake of potentially harmful toxins such as tar and carcinogens found in marijuana joints? From the few studies done over the years on the vaporization of marijuana, they all conclude that the same thing. That vaporization does produce fewer carcinogenic compounds than smoking marijuana. Although cannabis smoke is often thought of as less toxic than cigarette smoke, both share many carcinogens.
A 2007 report in [ science daily ] showed that “marijuana smoke contains significantly higher levels of several toxic compounds – including ammonia and hydrogen cyanide – than tobacco smoke.”
So it is logical to assume that it can cause similar lung and respiratory problems.
One of the first studies to compare smoking with vaporization, based on self-reported symptoms of smoking, showed less effect on breathing through atomization.
Advantages of vaping
The most obvious reason to consider vaping over smoking is healthy, but there are other added benefits. Vaporized cannabis allows you to taste different varieties of cannabis and control the temperature, its generally more conveniently and more discreet than smoking.
- More pronounced taste: vapor usually produces a more pronounced flavor than smoking. You can get a better taste of the terpenes and cannabinoids of each strain, and smoking kills the taste and nuance of each strain.
- Temperature control: Most [ weed vaporizers ]) have adjustable temperature settings that let you control the temperature throughout the process. Finding the optimal temperature for smoking pot requires trial and error, but it can produce a range of effects, from mild and uplifting to a more intense euphoric experience.
- It’s safer than smoking: vaping is better for your health, according to current research, and you don’t need an open flame. If you are health-conscious but want to hit some herbs, it is easy to switch to vaping.
- No lighters/matches: vapes don’t need an external heat source, so you’ll never get caught in the out without a lighter, and additionally, there’s no risk of burning yourself or anything else for that matter.
- Discreet: One of the great attractions of vaping marijuana is that it doesn’t produce as much odor. If you vape at lower temperatures, then the vapor smells much less than smoke, so if you want to avoid drawing attention to yourself, then using them is a wise choice.
The disadvantage of vaping
There is limited data on the long-term effects of vaping because it is still relatively new.
Vaping is still putting something into your body, and that does have risks:
- There have been several reports that vaping may have long term health risks and damage the lungs, but it is still unknown yet. This is why in 2019, health authorities started investigating if an outbreak of severe[ lung disease could be associated with e-cigarettes] and other vaping products. This was later linked to an additive in some THC-containing e-cigarette or vaping products. However, dry herb vaporizers were not related to this.
- When your vaping free radicals are released into the body, these can promote the development of cancer.
- Weaken the immune system.
- Delay brain development in fetuses, children, and adolescents.
- Future research may show that vaping can have other long-term health effects that scientists have yet to discover.
- Some have also reported exploding batteries due to faulty batteries, but many of these were in inferior products not made well.
Advantages of Smoking
The main benefit of smoking compared to vape is that it usually has a more powerful overall effect. Nor does smoking require much investment. Plus, the whole smoking ritual can be addictive – roll up a joint or pack some herb in your favorite glass bong, which is another reason why some people still smoke the old-fashioned way. Finally, smoking is relatively inexpensive to maintain, and it’s easy to roll up your joint or a cigarette, and its the most portable way to smoke.
- No investment required: Smoking does not require an up-front investment unless you are buying a large glass bong. It is much cheaper to buy some cigarette paper, and all you need is that your weed a roach, and a lighter. It doesn’t get much more straightforward.
- Smoking is a ritual: the whole process of rolling, packaging, and smoking can almost become a ritual. For some people, breaking this routine can be difficult.
- No learning curve: Smoking is accessible and doesn’t require a lot of practice. Anyone can light a joint or bowl. Vaping weed can be a little trial and error. Finding which temperature is best for the different strains of herb you want to hit requires some time investment to acquire the experience and knowledge.
- Low maintenance costs: Pipes or vape require some routine maintenance, such as cleaning. On the other hand, in addition to having to roll joints, the maintenance cost of the joints is relatively low.
- If you forget to recharge it and run out of power, your vape is useless.
The disadvantage of smoking
In the long run, smoking will do a lot of harm to the body:
- Reduce sperm count
- Increased risk in pregnant women that their child could have a congenital disability
- Increases the risk of cataracts
- Impairs immune system function
- Exacerbating systemic inflammation
- It can cause cancer in almost any part of the body, including the lungs, kidneys, and stomach
- Trigger an asthma attack
- Causes obstruction of veins and arteries
- Increases the risk of stroke
- Reduces a person’s overall health, which can lead to other compounded medical issues.
Is vaping weed better than smoking?
“Better” is very subjective, but the majority of studies would indicate it does less harm. For example, if you’re looking for a safer, more discreet way to smoke, or if you’re a medical marijuana patient, it might be for you. But smoking is the cheapest way to do it. Just keep in mind the downside that comes with it.
The choice is yours, but every smoker should at least try vaping to see if they like it. The difference between smoking marijuana and smoking vaping marijuana can be huge. With a good vape, the taste will be more mellow, with different varieties of taste more noticeable. Terpene connoisseurs who start using [ vapes ]will find it hard to return to putting their precious buds in joint instead of enjoying every drop of flavor.