Is this ready to be topped? (pics)

Hey guys, it’s been almost a week since the transplant, one of my plants looks pretty big so I’m wondering if it’s ready to be topped:

I’m trying to do a small grow (only veg for 4-5 weeks before flowering), so where should I cut? Here’s what the nodes are looking like:

I’ve never topped before so I need some direction lol. I’m just trying to do it for height control reasons (growing in a closet), but is topping necessary if I’m doing a small grow? Does it take longer to veg when topped?

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community ! personally I would give it a little time to recover from transplant I like to top at about six or seven full sets of leafs. I’m assuming we’re talking photo plants. Topping will basically slow down the upward growth ,an side branches with catch up to make a even canopy.

3 Likes

Thank you! Do you think it’s necessary to top if I’m doing a small grow? Does it take longer to veg if I top it?

1 Like

Yes, topping controls height.

1 Like

It’s a preference , personally I like to top my photos one time . No it does not take longer to veg if you top. You mention growing in a closet you might want to top one time your height could become a problem.

1 Like

Generally a good idea to top above the 4th node or higher. She has probably recovered from the transplant after a week.

I usually top above the 4th node and then again after each successive 3rd node. I top once for the quick grows that I’ve done. It will only slow me down by a few days. I let the the 2 new mains grow up a bit before flipping her.

Suggestion: leave an inch of nub where you top (~1 inch above the node) so that the plant can develop a bigger knuckle where you’ve topped.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the tips. I think I know exactly where to cut now. I’m gonna wait a bit for them to settle into the transplant. Then it’s snipping time

1 Like