Is this normal or should I be worried?

A question from a fellow grower:

I have 2 feminized amnesia seedlings going. I have them under a 400 watt mh set at 24 inches distance. The seedlings are very tall, about 2 to 3 inches tall with o my 4 days out of the soil. I planted directly into soil. I have seen this with other peoples grow and they have lost the plants. Is this normal or should I be worried?

I’m not sure I’m understanding the question.

Are you worried the plants are stretching too much, too tall too fast?

Having a little breeze to stir the seedling slightly sometimes helps with thin lanky seedlings developing some rigidity to hold themselves up.

400 watt HID sounds like too much for little seedlings, maybe even at 24 inches away from them. Most people use florescent lights until the plants are a bit more developed, and so they can get the light a lot closer to the plant to help prevent too much stretching in the young seedlings.

hope this helps,

MacG

It is common for seedlings to stretch. This is one reason I have switched from a 400 MH for seedlings to a 2’ 4 bulb T5. This allows me to place light 2-3" over the top of plants and they squat down more, eliminating the stretching. As long as you keep a small oscillating fan providing a gentle breeze, the stems will strengthen up. Sadly, sometimes the seedlings do fail. A small shiskabob stick or something similar could be used to prop up the seedling, but be careful not to bend the stem. Hang in there. :slight_smile: