Is this mold under my blacklight?

Hello!
We are growing hemp and after a 10 day dry in a temperature and humidity controlled room we went to curing. We’ve maintained 60-65 humidity in the container and after around 3 days I used my jewelers loupe and saw these neon green flecks, this is on bud we washed and unwashed. Is this mold or something else? I only saw one picture online that shows mold on buds but it’s different enough that I’m not sure now. I’ll try to get better pictures as well.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!
20201010_030202|375x500

Here’s what the buds look like without being magnified…it’s frustrating because they look super normal.

1 Like

If you have anything off with your bud you will smell it @HempHempHooray. Even more so now it’s in the jar. There will be a hint of ammonia if your buds are starting to go bad. Have you thought of bud washing using 3% hydrogen peroxide. There’s a video doing the rounds on here, I will have a look. Found it,

If you’re not sure you can split a bud open, just pull it apart, if it’s rotten you will spot it right away :sunglasses:.

Just read the bit in your post about washing, sorry buddy I kinda doubled up on that bit :man_facepalming:. I will leave it in though as it’s all knowledge :sunglasses:

2 Likes

We actually did a peroxide wash for most of our buds and they look and smell normal, it’s just that with a black light they have those neon green bits which I’ve seen some say is a sign of mold of even mycotoxins from mold. Maybe at this point I just need to send a sample to the lab and see what’s up, just so dang expensive!

1 Like

You will definitely be able to detect that “off” smell, how does it smell. I’ve had bud that had a hint of mustiness about it, something just wasn’t quite right about it. Ended up condemning the full grow, about 3-4 lbs of it as well :slightly_frowning_face:

This is my first grow so I don’t know if I can completely trust my nose but I know that it doesn’t smell like fresh cut. These had a sweet/light skunky smell at harvest and now have a much darker aroma, is it normal for that type of change? I’m just perplexed because we have been ocd about washing, monitoring humidity, etc and I am trying not to overthink it. On another forum someone asked why my buds were so dark, I thought it was normal for that to happen but I see others online with a lighter color in jars and that makes me a bit paranoid now too.

1 Like

What’s the humidity in the jars like. Mine sits at 62% and has been for a few days now. I had a harvest the same colour as yours and it was way too dry, I forgot about :exploding_head::rofl:. The colour could be down to the strain as well. Break a bud open that you suspect of being a bad one. Pick the worst of the worst out and open it. Should be the same all the way through. If it’s black or grey inside then you have a problem :sunglasses:. I know mine change as they dry so that’s normal. What you don’t want is ammonia or similar smell.

I had a small jar of trimmed buds that got moldy, I did the bud washing, then hair dried them and put them in a dehydrator, for a little bit. Didn’t work, they grew mold again. It was a pain in the but to do.

1 Like

Have you tried using 2 way humidity packs in your jars. When u dry the buds try leaving on as much sugar leaf and claw leaf as u can to slow the dry time and it changes the chlorophyll smells and taste by having more time to break down and convert to sugars. I think ive notice a massive difference in smells and taste between using a bowl trimmer wet trimming and trimming with scissors on my own a bud at a time. The slower the dry time the better the smell and taste ive seen this from 3 plants now. The. Owl trimmed buds dried out in like 3 days. Smelled ok but had a chlorophyll snell some for a while. It dont smell so bad now has a way better smell but the smell and taste is half what the hand trimmed was. Any ways u can keep buds drying as slow as possible would be the best bet. I bet u are having the same smell issues i had with mine. Kinda like a real green leafy chlorophyll smell with a hint of the weed smell. The plants smelled great and were stick as can be when i chopped them too.

1 Like

We actually have some boveda we’re going to throw in there after a couple weeks, I read a few people saying they messed with the terpene profile if used immediately. Right now the jar is sitting at about 64RH. We definitely had a hay smell in the room for the first 4-5 days and I now think that’s because we did pretty close hand trims on it. I think buds being a little dry might be because for the first week or so I was using the RH meter on the humidifier which after getting those mini RH meters im finding is off by close to -10 which probably contributed to it drying a little too fast. Last night I removed every bud that had any kind of black leaves under the loupe and anything that was overly dried as it was a little suspect.

A big lesson from this for me is that I grew way too much for a first grow, 14 big outdoor plants, and immediately learned that no matter how much you read or watch it barely preps you for the reality of needing to harvest large batches in one go so everything dries evenly together.

Thank you to everyone! Even with the potential mold issue it makes me want to keep pushing and get this figured out!

1 Like

they look pretty suspect to me unfortunately… alot of brown in that jar… here is what mine normally look like in a jar and they stay this way over time… i would be very leary of using that stuff but thats just me…

2 Likes

Here’s the jar after removing the suspect buds last night. Thoughts?

1 Like

that looks alot better but i would check them all very closely… i would also remove all the extra stem and before jaring the next run to cure i would also aim to jar buds only… if there was a moisture problem it could have happened because of the extra stems in the jar as they can retain extra moisture for a while.

I really appreciate you all! I’m going to label this jar and going forward do each plant in its own just to know what’s what. I think doing an indoor grow to get extra practice would be smart too, hard to get good when you only do one outdoor a year.

1 Like

I buy hemp product to make Cbd oil from. The buds and trim I buy are much darker than the marijuana buds when I dry them. What I buy looks just like what you have in the jar

2 Likes

Good to hear! That’s what I thought too when looking around some local shops. There are some hemp strains out their that are looking a lot fluffier these days but it does seem high CBD hemp is a little different than most of its cousins.

Yeah, I think you’re good. How difficult was the hemp to grow?

I’ve never grown its cousin so I can’t compare but I thought it was really easy. We grew from clones and didn’t have any pest issues other than a few rotted buds at the end of the season. We grew some in pots and some in the ground and both did great; the ground plants where 2-3x the size too with one over 6 foot.

1 Like

Some of mine that are currently drying and sitting at 62%. Still need a bit more trimming, the extra slows the dry down a bit.