Is this mold? An infestation?

So I have had some issues in my basement with bud rot this past winter. Generally, it has affected the biggest buds on a few of my plants.

I started growing in a tent instead of my big closet because I thought I could monitor the environment better.

I’ve slowed down my watering from every day to every other day, and now in this tent I’ve only watered every 3 days.

These plants are almost through week 6 since the flip. I watered 3 days ago, and they are due again today. Last time I watered I rearranged the plants and didn’t see anything wrong with them.

This morning I found these tiny cottony growths on a few of the plants, but it’s on the leaves, not the buds.

Is this mold or some kind of tiny cocoon?

Any recommendations? I don’t want to trash this entire batch, but if I have to I will. I have way more weed than I need from my past harvests, but I’m trying to figure out my favorite strain and settle into 1 pheno of my favorite strain, so from that perspective this would be a 6 week setback, so if I can salvage the contents of the tent that would be my preference.

1 Like

@Covertgrower @Hellraiser @Nicky @Caligurl @neofirebird @emgoldslo @Coen3440

1 Like

Have you tried to remove the white cotton objects off the plant? Does it wipe off or sticks to the leaf? Did it move or fly off? I’ve seen something like this in mine but it was cotton from the exhaust filter cover sleeve.

3 Likes

@Konflict pluckedva piece off with my fingers. Slipped right off the leaf. I also saw what looked like a fungus gnat in one of the pieces. And coincidentally I was installing a new carbon filter with sleeve this morning.

3 Likes

Indoor grow? What’s the humidity? Can you get a closer picture of it?

It doesn’t look like WPM but does look a bit suspicious.

2 Likes

@emgoldslo yes indoor. Humidity has been low to mid 50’s. 54% this morning.

I’ll take a closer pic when I get home from work.

I suppose I’ll also clean off everything I can find.

2 Likes

That was my initial thought. Do you have any cheesecloth? Perhaps try loosely wrapping the area around the filter and see if the cheesecloth catches the fuzz.

What kinds of fans/air circulation do you have in your tent?

3 Likes

It’s possible it’s fuzz from from the filter.

4 Likes

Yeah some kind of fuzz, never seen mold look like that.

4 Likes

I currently only have a 4 inch exhaust fan attached to the carbon filter. I will order another circulation fan today, I’ve been meaning to but putting it off.

I’ll get a closer pic tonight and post. Then clean off the leaves and hope it doesn’t come back.

Thanks guys, I’m glad this doesn’t look familiar to you guys who have been at this for a while.

2 Likes

Ensure you have one circulation fan per plant, if your having mold issues run your humidityow (below 50%) and clean your tent really well in between grows (including fan blades in your circ fans)

I hope the guys above nailed the fuzz though

2 Likes

Did it move or jump away when you plucked it? Only other thing besides fuzz (that I could think of)

2 Likes

@Nothingshocking

Fingers Crossed just filter fuzz

2 Likes

@Konflict definitely not the first pic. Maybe but probably not the second either. I wish I didn’t notice it on my way out the door for work. I’ll have better pics in 5 or 6 hours.

2 Likes

Was wondering since you thought you saw a flying pest(fungus gnat). Those white flies can look like fuzz until that fuzz starts moving

1 Like

@Konflict they are definitely fungus gnats. I’ve had them since I started because I’m growing in composted manure which unknown to me until recently composted manure usually carries them.

I plan to switch it up after I get through my next 2 batches probably to coco. I need to get through the thread with hellraisers Jack’s coco grow. I’m using a similar fertilizer Nicky recommended. Chemgro 420 mix. If his end product with Jack’s is good, I’ll give it a shot with Chemgro, and hopefully the gnats won’t be interested anymore.

3 Likes

I got 1 more pic, unfortunately the 12 and 12 schedule just gives me a little time before and after work. I guess that’s a benefit of autos I didn’t think of.

Anyway i took 1 pic where the bugs showed, and the lights switched off. But you can see there are bugs and cottony things, but the bugs aren’t the cottony stuff. I was thinking maybe some kind of cocoon, but fungus gnats don’t make cocoons.

Mealybugs? Since you are in compost. Captain Jack’s dead bug doesn’t list fungus gnats or mealybugs but it’s suggested for organic gardens.

i have a bottle of captain jacks and a bag of diatomercious earth on standby. i guess its time to put them to use

1 Like