Is this Light Burn or a Nutrient Deficiency

Is this Light Burn or a Nutrient Deficiency I’m wondering? I have 4 UK Auto Cheese plants (in flowering for a month now) showing similar symptoms. pH level 6.4 and I do not overdo my nutrients, if anything I need to step up my nutrient game, but as a first time grower I err on the side of caution. The reason I think it might be LED light burn is because my big Bangi Haze plants sit next to these, basking under the 1000 W HPS light while they very small cheese plants sit under an 1800w LED. I keep them manufacturers recommended distance of 30" away. Additional environmental stressors - I had to move my grow from my man cave downstairs to a very dry basement with humidity levels that were abysmally low (30’s) until I setup a humidifier.
Any advice would be appreciated. thanks

2 Likes

check your runoff ph and ppm. start there. fix that first

2 Likes

Jeepers. Poor little plant. PH off or too many nutes…sure looks bad.

Sorry, not trying to beat you up. Growing IS a learning process. Learn to read the leaves.
Crinkled, curled…bad news. splotches and brown spots…bad news.

Most avoid fertilized soil. No control. Maybe too much at the wrong time.

3 Likes

That is not a light problem if you have a ph meter are you checking it and calibrating it
I have had some expensive lessons with not calibrating my ph meter. If your ph meter is good then i would flush the plant and next feed at 50%strength and work your way up and believe me like @tanlover442 said with the reading of the leaves it takes a couple grows to get it down hope this helps you

3 Likes

I have no problem or objection to constructive criticism whatsoever, so fire away… What do you mean by “fertilized soil” ? Are you talking about organic soil such as the foxfarm soil I read so much about, or the soil I bought from the Hydroponics shop called "ProMix BX Mycorrhizae. As for my cheese plants, they are purely a victim of my own neglect… had to balance my time between moving the grow room, working, and frankly spending more time with my larger flowering plants. I am curious about the ‘fertilized soil’ though, please enlighten me, thanks

1 Like

yes, I need to, and have, get back to focusing on the basics… thanks

2 Likes

Fertilized soil is soil with slow release and fast release fertilizer in it along with other amenities

2 Likes

Many of the “burned to a crisp” grows we see are the result of using pre-fertilized soil.
Miracle Grow and Fox Farms are names mentioned often.
Fox Farms IS good stuff…once it’s diluted.

Best if YOU are the only source of nutes and additives. YOU can decide what and when to use.
Each strain reacts differently. YOU have to learn to read the leaves and NOT get crinkly or curled leaves.

2 Likes

The promix you bought needs to be treated as a soiless grow. Unlike soil there are no nutrients in it. Im using promix hp for first time. Although i gave all my girls nutes i developed a calmag issue. So id suggest to add calmag. Ph should be 5.8-6.5 max. Im using promix hp switching from soil but with it my ph is same as soil. Generally a higher yield is gotten with soiless than soil. We will see.
Happy growing!!

2 Likes

wow, thank you @Larap. I think the guys at the hydroponics shop assume I know more than I do, as it was not actually explained to me that its considered soilless or that it was void of any significant nutrients. I looked it up and on the ProMix website and sure enough: its primary purpose is to provide good drainage and provide better fertilizer uptake (not actually providing those fertilizers/nutrients). Thanks for the tip, a few other issues are starting to make sense now. My larger plants are flourishing, and they have perhaps 20% Pro Mix in them with the remaining 80% being healthy regular soil that I doctored in the beginning of this first grow… so those flowering plants are loving the mixture… however over in my veg room, everything is almost stagnant… I’d been assuming it was my lighting (3 sets of high output T5’s and an LED (920w) with 320w COB)… almost every plant in that veg room was transplanted into a medium of exclusively ProMix (and the small amount of soil from the original pot prior to the transplant which would be their only source of nutrients other than what I add in)… Wow, thanks so much… time to get back to some basics on a few levels… cheers

2 Likes

Good news is theyre still in veg. They are tough little girls! Im sure you can pull them outta their funk.

1 Like