Is this crop salvageable?

This is my second year growing. I felt like I had learned a lot from this forum and from the first year growing and everything was going very smooth, but then I got hit hard! We had a major heat/humidity wave about 2 weeks into flower. The leaves took a pretty bad turn, I started running more fans and a dehumidifier and that seemed to help. Buds were still growing fine so I wasn’t too concerned. Last Saturday (start of week 5 of flower) I noticed that I had a moderate case of spider mites. I keep a close eye out for pests but I got busy and missed them for what looks like a few days. The leaf damage was pretty severe. I made the decision to defoliate a large portion and then treat with Captain Jacks, and it seems to have controlled them. I will keep treating every 5 days with different methods to try to keep them at bay. All that being said, the buds look much different than last year and my leaves look pretty bad. I’m not sure if this crop is going to be saved or if it’s ruined. Info and pictures below :arrow_down:

• ILGM White Widow and Purple Haze
  • Method: Fox Farms Happy Frog with Beanstalk absolute flower nutes
  • Vessels: 20 gal smart pots
  • PH of Water not sure, distilled drinking water
  • PPM unknown
  • Indoor/outdoor hybrid
  • Light system: abriselux a1500 x2
  • Ventilation system; multiple fans and open air
  • Humidifiers/dehumidifiers: dehumidifier

4 Likes

2 Likes

I’m not a pro but the buds dont look affected too bad… I mean don’t go throwing them out. Have you checked for mold or problems in the bud itself? How about trichome production?

1 Like

I took a small cutting off one of the top buds, trichomes production looks pretty low to me and their are some small black spots, but I think it may be spider mite droppings?

How often you water? As the soil looks dry dry.

1 Like

Ooh that doesnt look too good @kellydans @Covertgrower @MidwestGuy @dbrn32 @PurpNGold74 There’s a few of the very knowledgeable folks on here…

2 Likes

Make sure to wash the buds when you harvest. If those are calyxes you pulled for pictures it’s done. Hard to say 100% how far along is it?

For washing 8-10 oz peroxide(3%) per 5 gallons of water. Literally dunk the buds swish and let sit for a couple mins. Then rinse with any other water. Hang in front of a fan or direct wind source should be dry to the touch, then hang to dry…

3 Likes

This was right before a morning watering so you’re right it was dry. Usually having to water about every other day right now.

That was a cutting from the very top of a cola. Where should I cut from to get an accurate gauge on how far along they are? (As of today I’m on day 47 of flowering)

Could be spider mite poop is not good.

3 Likes

Throw out or wash situation?

I would wash, and then inspect afterwards. I’m
Not sure if it would come off, I’ve never had them that bad.

5 Likes

I’ll take some more clippings off the other 3 plants tonight and see if they look the same and post back later. Thanks

2 Likes

Yeah, that was my first thoughts it’s not going to be easy to clean up.

1 Like

Here are some more pictures of the calyx from all 4 of the plants. I did live shots instead of clippings and the spider mites definitely aren’t gone yet, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of them anymore. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated

I would just toss it thc production is going to be low and you could get sick or feel like shit if you smoke it or sell it to someone. Theres really not a good reason to keep it imo. You win some you loose some but you live to fight another day criag.

My next question would be, should I just go ahead and chop it and clean up what I can? Here’s some current pics. Some buds look worse than others.

1 Like

Looking at your first pictures you posted, they look ready to me.

1 Like