Is this a good light?

Considering getting a mars Hydro TS 1000 watt Grow light, I get the feeling that I just don’t have enough light in my tent, 4’ x 4’ x 80” I had my blue ninja in thereUntil my white widow’s got too big there’s seven of them so I put the blue ninja in my slightly smaller tent, and all the little ones on the table inside the bigger tent 16 inches from the lights but when I set them outside for a sunny day they seem to grow as much out there as they do indoors in three days let me know what you think of this Mars light It’s on eBay for $149

I think you will not have enough light. It’s only consuming 150 watts. I have a 4x4 tent that I ran a Viparspectra PAR600 Light and it pulled about 274 watts which is almost double what you are looking at the Mars Hydro TS1000.

And my light definitely wasn’t enough. After joining I added a 2nd one of the same light. Not long after that I said screw it and bought my 2 HLG 260xl rspec lights.

But I don’t have $1000 to spend on the lights, either any of the lights around $100 that would be adequate?

1 Like

You can buy multiple lights but these really are pretty crappy. The most important item in an indoor grow is good lighting so if you can’t afford it you have to scale back your ambitions until you can. Figure 50 watts (from the wall) per square foot for cheap lights. All the way down to 30 watts/square foot with high efficacy LED’s.

You can buy a 400 watt MH/HPS setup for pretty cheap and it would do well in a partially filled tent. And I mean like 2 plants.

2 Likes

Would tend to agree with Dmy, you would see better result putting in a 400w or 600w HPS(personally running 600’s). In saying that what is your temp like? Have a look at different light bays that can link up to your exhaust.

1 Like

I would have to agree with @Myfriendis410. I knew before even joining the forum that lighting was one of the most important if not important requirements for an indoor grow to be successful. I have a 5x5 that I am in the process of putting together and I am going to be using a 1,000 watt Mh/Hps air cooled fixture. Eventually I will be going to LED, much more efficient, just can’t justify it right now. The numbers that @Myfriendis410 is giving you of wattage per square foot, is consistent with what I have heard from all indoor growers. Maybe try to tag @dbrn32. From what I’ve learned on this forum, he is probably who you want to talk to. Maybe he can give you some guidance and advice.

2 Likes

Staying within your budget will likely require you to scale back the number of plants you are growing. Not a bad thing and like most of us you can add as you go. The good news is vegging plants take much less intensity than flowering. So you have time to acquire more adequate lighting.

3 Likes

In a 4x4 tent i would put no less than 4 ts1000. I have a 2x4 tent and have one marshydro ts1000 and two decent blurples. I am running a combined 450 watts about out the wall. I will be soon adding another ts1000.

1 Like

I think there’s good info here. Cheapest light you’re going to get good results with in a 4x4 is 600 watt hps. Most in a tent need an air cooled hood to manage temps. By the time it’s all said and done, that’s not all that cheap either.

You can go smaller, or work up to it. But there’s no $100ish light that you’ll enjoy growing in a space with

1 Like

You can get a 600 watt HID light with a High Pressure Sodium (HPS) bulb and an air-cooled hood for under $150 at growershouse.

I have been researching this light. It seems almost to good to be true. It has a decent spread and good par levels based of what i have seen. It might light a 4x4 ok. Tell me what u guys think. Sorry i dont know how u do link thing.

It is.

It’s a 230 watt misleading advertisement.
Most of the LED lights you will find on Amazon are… cheap junk.

2 Likes

Usually is

@Dmy have you got a local hydro shop? They usually have some second hand gear that works fine, that will help with budget, e.g. 600watt (old white fixed setting) ballast $50 new 600w globe $50 vented hood $70. If you already have exhaust ducting you can extend to the light hood. That was my cheap option for a second light. I now keep that ballast as a spare and a spare plain hps hood with silver fins. They are still great for colder months.
All the best with your grow!

@Dmy, I was going to suggest the same thing @Davegreen did a used fixture from a hydro shop or something similar to craig’s list not sure what is available in your area.

I’m having good results with 3 king plus 1500 in a 3x5 closet but they run hot I have to open the door every morning to regulate the heat . I also have ventilation 6 inch duct fan connected to ac and a 6 inch duct fan at top pulling out hot air

1 Like

@Tom1 looking good mate, Nice scrog!
Personally found if you are running cheaper LED they heat up the space a lot, for less heat and better lumens especially in flower I have had much better success with HPS. In saying that as long as you have the right spectrum and enough lumens your plants will grow.
Also as lots have mentioned it maybe better for you to only do 2 plants at a time, wait a few crops for the savings to kick in and expand from there.
2 plants on good cycle should cover a fair amount of personal. Depending on consumption of course :wink:
Good luck look forward to following your grow.

I do have hps lights as well but I wanted to try led so far if had decent harvest this is my 3 grow this year with these lights I will be buying better lights at some point .I don’t like the power consumption of hps .I think 3 plants is about perfect in my little room .thanks for the advice

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have a good light situation set up now for the winter and is soon as it is 70° plus outside this spring I’m gonna try and get into growing cycles outside. Here’s a few pictures of what I’ve got set up so far my big tent is for the veg and a little tent is for my flowering blue ninja hood today it is at seven weeks flower

You see I’ve been having troubles with my seedlings even growing so out of 10 I would get maybe two of them to sprout, so last full moon I put seven seeds out to sprout well all seven of them truck so now I have seven that I must grow inside of my 4’ x 4’ x 80”One of them is two weeks older than the rest so I’m just going to make do with what I have I figure my blue ninja will be ready to harvest in 3 to 5 weeks, then I will have a room to dry hair out in the closet and I can use my smaller tent to break up the thickness of having seven plants and a 4 x 40 tent I’ve taken the watering with only rain water nowSeems to work really well to