Is there a problem with my seedlings?

Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading…

My pH for all of them is about 6.0 to 6.5.

The temperature in my area averages 14 degrees Celsius to 30 degrees Celsius.

Humidity is fairly low, it normally sits between 15% in the day and 20% in the evening.

I normally water every 2 - 3 days, and I’m growing in an organic potting soil mix with coco peat instead of peat moss which has a fairly airy consistency.

I think they might be experiencing light and heat strain, so I’ve decided to move them in a more shaded area but from what I’ve read the twisting leaves resemble wind burn? I’m not entirely sure.
From my point of view they just don’t look 100%.
Any suggestions or ideas? Would be greatly appreciated.

I apologise, it seems not all my photos are uploading. They all sort of look the same anyways.

Welcome to the ILGM Forums @DBN13

pH… problem

Lets have you fill out the support ticket and then we can go from there.

Are you using a meter?

COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, ILGM… name of strain:

How many plants:

Age from Sprout and Flower:

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco / Brand and type of Medium & Size of Pots:

How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so?

PH of water and runoff or solution in reservoir:

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS:

What brand and products of Nutrients are you using? Strength and how often?

Indoor or Outdoor:

Indoor type and size of grow area or tent?

Light system, size and height from plants:

Temps; Day, Night:

Humidity; Day, Night:

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size:

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier:

Co2; Yes, No:

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you

As soon aswe get that support ticket filled out we can figure out whats happening. @DBN13

2 Likes

Looks like a lot of pine bark in that potting soil. If so it messes with the pH. If you could tell us what soil you are using, one of the experts probably will chime in. I mix my own soil to avoid these issues.

Are you using a meter? Yes

Strain: Bag seeds

How many plants: 7

Age from Sprout and Flower: 30 days from sprout.

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco / Brand and type of Medium & Size of Pots: Culterra professional potting mix.

How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so? Every 2 - 3 days, by checking the top soils dryness about an inch deep or so.

PH of water and runoff or solution in reservoir: local tap water pH is 6.5, I have not check my run off.

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS: N/A

What brand and products of Nutrients are you using? Strength and how often? The potting soil in prefertilized with organic compost but i have used only once a half dosage of Nitrosol organic plant food.

Indoor or Outdoor: outdoor

Indoor type and size of grow area or tent? n/A

Light system, size and height from plants: Sunlight

Temps; Day, Night: in the day it reaches 27 - 30 degrees Celsius and at night 11 - 15 degrees Celsius

Humidity; Day, Night: in the day 15% and at night anywhere between 20% and higher.

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size: N/A

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: N/A

Co2; Yes, No: No

UV index in my area: it can get very high, the sky tends to be almost clear on most days.

I hope this helps, I think you could be right with the pH, but I thought outdoor plants in soil mediums sit in an average of 6.0 to 6.5?
What do I know I’m a newb, so all tips and advice are greatly welcome!

1 Like

Im using Culterra professional potting mix.
Do you think I should maybe transplant them and put them in a less bark like mixture, though the bark content does tend to stay at the surface since I’ve been using it, and I do try to get large chunks out before I plant anything.

1 Like

I would also love to get your potting soil recipe. I’ve been thinking of making my own but considering its my first grow. Just thought baby steps.

1 Like

Thanks for posting the support ticket!

With regards to Potted MJ the pH of the water has to match the pH of the growing medium for the plant to be able to grow properly.

Could you post the ingredients of that mix? @DBN13

You are using a soil MIX Which may not actually contain any soil or it may contain mostly soil

The best thing to do is a slurry test of your soil.

PH your water to 6.5 and put once ounce in a cup. Add one ounce of that soil mix. Stir it up good and let sit 10-30 minutes and then test the pH of the slurry mix.

Here is a graphic that shows why the pH needs to be proper for the soil. Look at both sides where the 6-6.5 range puts you.

Nutrient_Chart2

UPDATE: The Culterra website doesn’t list the ingredients of this soil mix, however I did find a comment from someone that the Culterra professional potting mix contains time release fertilizers and that they are not organic.

I would ditch that soil and get something with organic enrichments like worm castings, kelp or bat guano.

If possible go to your local nursery and see if they don’t offer an organic soil like that. The only thing it would need would be perlite for aeration.

2 Likes

It’s a really hot soil. Not good for seedlings, but great for bigger plants. Basically it’s 1/3 Fox Farm Ocean Forest. 1/3 sterilized garden soil from Aldi grocery store. The rest is a mix of 2 qts worm castings, 2 qts bone meal, 3qts perlite, 2qts vermiculite, and about 4qts Coco. Now this mix is for 6 to 7 plants in 5 gallon pots. You definitely will not need to feed any nutrients for 6 to 8 weeks with this soil.

2 Likes

I shall do the slurry test as soon as possible, so far my water and my soil ph are the same but I think you are correct on the soil mix.
I was thinking of rather doing a coco mix with worm castings, blood meal etc. It might just be best to set up and make your own mixes nowadays because, with the potting soil I’m using they are not very clear with the ingredients besides the more obvious items, unfortunately where i live its pretty common for soil to have high contents of bark chips. You can never seem to find anything with vermiculite in it unless its at a hydroponic store which most aren’t exactly close by either but, I’ll definitely make a plan for a substitute.

Would you suggest repotting my plants into a better medium?
If so how should I go about that?

Thank you for the help @bob31, the help is much appreciated!

@OldSkunk I see, well might be best to just give your mix a go when I can get my plants a little more larger and ready for veg. Maybe I’ll even emend it slight to accomodate for my climate, sometimes hot potting mixes in my area can get pretty intense.

1 Like

I don’t have a problem with that medium @DBN13 but to get your girl back on track she needs to get the pH straightened out and be transplanted into the larger pot and full dosage nutrients per their chart.

1 Like

I would suggest doming the seedlings as your humidity is really low.

3 Likes