Is the 135W HLG enough?

I have been reading up on lights and about the idea of “maxing” the light for your grow space. I have heard some talk about lights like the HLG 260 XL, the Electric Sky ES300 or the Optic “rack” system with the 4 100W COB’s and the 120W panel for 320W pretty much maxing out a 2 x 4 space. What I was wondering Is will the HLG 135W V2 Rspec do that for say a 2 x 2.5 Gorilla tent? I will be growing autos exclusively.

1 Like

Pretty damn good match up that extra half a foot shouldn’t be an issue the 135 matches up great with a 2x2 but what’s a gorilla tent

2 Likes

It’s a fairly high end grow tent. About $300 more than a Vivosun. And yeah, those HLG rspecs rock!

I’d guess that the v2 r spec qb135 will be adequate for a 2’x2.5’ tent. It may get a little iffy in the corners, but chances are you’re not completely filling the tent.

1 Like

The default for this rig might be one big sativa dominant auto. Hence the choice of a Gorilla tent because of its height. If I was filling the tent say with a SOG grow of 4-6 shorter autos like the Fastberry that I am currently growing, would two 100W HLG boards be better?

1 Like

Yeah, you pay for height. I am looking at growing some of the larger sativa dominant auto strains in the future like tangle and I don’t want to run out of tent.

You will be very happy with the Gorilla tent, I am just getting an 8 X 8 X ~9 foot Gorilla tent outfitted.

Your choice of the HLG 135 is a good one but, I would always go for more light if I could.

Don’t listen to me though, I always think more light is good…LOL

2 Likes

HLG made a 160w light kit in the V2 but they did not appear to carry it over to the Rspec line. That might have been better for the extra 6 inches of tent. I got to thinking bout the Gorilla and the SOG idea. It occurred to me that the reason for paying extra for the Gorilla tent is so that you can grow monsters. I did the calculations and I figure you could get plants maybe close to 4 feet above the dirt with the stock 7 foot tall setup and they ship you the 12 inch extension for free! So no dwarves allowed :wink:

1 Like

I will have six SCROG frames (above 10 gal pots) in my 8X8 and the lights will be about 3ft below the top of the tent. This extra height does two things for me.
First there is a lot more air volume to act as a temperature buffer. The second and most important for me is the fans, ducting, etc will all be up there.
I could easily get by with 6 or 7 ft of height, but more makes it easier to work above the lights when needed and also makes temperature control a little easier as well.

2 Likes

So are you looking for a canopy/net that is around 3 feet above the dirt?
I was thinking that in a smaller tent, I might have the fan and filter outside. Any place where I have this small tent is going to be air-conditioned space, be it with the central air system in may current house or an individual mini-split unit in the next one wherever that might be, so I might be cheating a bit. :grin:

1 Like

The SCROG frame is 22" above the dirt. I try to maintain the main canopy about 18 to 24 inches above that.
I should admit that, to this point, my SCROG’s have not been proper SCROG’s. More of a “Cola Support System”. I am still figuring out when and how to prune and train.

No such thing as cheating so long as it gets the job done and satisfies you.

Are you growing photo or auto? I am going to stick with auto for the foreseeable future so I have to adjust my expectations accordingly. At my current smoking which is a tiny amount at night only I could get by on like 4 ounces of really top drawer stuff…a year. :stuck_out_tongue: I figure with somewhere north of a half pound a year, I could make some new friends when I move to a new town. :wink:

1 Like

I grow photos only. They give more control over plant size.

Could be I am missing out on something, it seems that a great many folks prefer growing autos. I have never tried growing an auto. I would not mind giving it a go but don’t want to purchase $100 worth of seeds to do it. I have dozens of photo-period seeds on hand.

I am on my first grow of a single Fastberry and it is pretty ghetto. I am using Miracle Grow organic soil and such from HD and two 32 real watt GE LED grow lights on stripped down clamp lamp fittings which have an efficacy of about 1.7(?) The plant is around 6 weeks above ground and has been flowering for like 2. It is like 13-14 inches tall and has 9 tops including the main cola, but a number are quite small. It is getting rather purple in places. I try to put it outside a couple of hours a day when I can. I figure that the 135w would-be like at least 2.5 times as powerful as my current lights and maybe more and a plant could stay inside the whole time.
FromwhatI am reading,you control plant size wthautos by pickngthestrains carefully. Although< i have seen one guy say “I was hoping for 4-5 ounces from this Blue Dream auto plant but I got 10 with this particularly large pheno” But I also hear guys saying things like “I got 50 grams!! Hooray!!” So no way to tell I guess.

1 Like

The HLG 135 kit is a great choice at $187 or so.

Here is a photo of a light constructed of Bridgelux EB strips. Each of the panels is 12" X 24" with 13 strips. The total for each panel is 177 watts. Two of the panels could be mounted side by side rather than end to end to cover a 2X2 with over 350 watts for right around $220.

My new flowering tent will have 16 of these 12" X 24" panel, 4 for each 4X4 quadrant.

1 Like

What are black circles that offset 1 strip per set? I thought they were over current devices at first, but could see any wiring.

2 Likes

I thought you might notice that…LOL
Originally I only had nine strips in three sets of three with a 1" gap between and 1" on the edges.
I drilled holes with grommets for wires to pass through…just make it tidy. I then decided that more was better and had the strips and the space so filled them in. The grommets were in same spot as one strip on each panel, so instead of removing the grommet, I just offset the one strip.

I wish there were a fancier explanation…

2 Likes

I can see pretty clearly now that I know lol.

1 Like

7 foot tall… with led is kinda pointless imagine how little light. Will be getting to bottom buds …tellers is not always better if u had some hids ids say maybe but best to keep em smaller with leds