Is putting fem seedling in big pot really the best idea?

something I’ve noticed is because i bought fem seeds i planted my seeding directly into the large pot to cut down on root stress in transplanting- I found in doing this that it seemed wasteful and excessive to water that big pot for a seedling and it of course took much longer for uptake - Im feeling that the roots were in water too long between drying with may cause weakness or rot on the fresh baby roots? and I’m just wondering how these roots are doing at his point- it does seem to affect the afghan and blue dream more than the others I’m thinking of going back to the 2 transplant system so i can get a peek at and have more control over the root development as the plant progresses ? thoughts on this?

2 Likes

You should start them then in smaller lots not larger pots

2 Likes

I don’t think you need to put fem seeds straight into large pot at first I believe the only ones need to be place in your large pot right off are auto seeds not fem.
I’ve never tried autos so I can’t help to much but because they have a short veg cycle and flower :hibiscus: on time not light cycles my understanding is to put them in final pot right away to prevent stress

2 Likes

Its tricky using large pots right off because its easy to over water really a spray bottle misted two or three days daily is all seedlings need then about a quarter cup after about two weeks after your seedling starts showing top growth then raise it till it takes about three days to dry out as she grows it will take more water hope i said all this in a way usable to you
Happy growing

2 Likes

My experience has been to start in small pots and pot up when needed. If transplanted delicately the plants won’t even notice it. As others have noted it’s far to easy to over water with large pots and the plants tend to stay wet for too long. Best luck on your grow!

2 Likes

I agree that the best bet is to start in smaller pots, especially if you are a beginner.
With that being said, my last 5 or so grows, I have started directly in 5 gallon smart pots. I DO NOT water small plants or seedlings like I would water a large plant…I do not soak the whole pot, I make about a 5" circle of water around the plant and then water as needed.

Just My Method
Hope it Helps!
Cheers :beers:

3 Likes

up to1 foot growth equals one gallon pot up to two feet two gallon. is what ive been told in the past.

1 Like