Is pond water safe?

Wondering if pond water is ok to use for watering plants? I searched the forum and saw where it was asked a couple times but never answered. I drew a sample and it ph’d at 6.5 (not done with a pen). Wasn’t sure if there might be something in the water that I wouldn’t want to add to my plants. Thanks in advance.

I think the only correct way to have that question answered is to take it and have it analyzed?

Or you could try it and see what happens. Is it a pond as in not spring fed? If it is spring fed, I’d say it will be fine? If it is like just a runoff pond or retention pond, then I would look around to see where the water is coming from. Is there a Monsanto chemical plant on top of the hill? :grin:

4 Likes

Pretty much a runoff pond. Man made. Stocked with catfish and bream. No Monsanto plant but I have been known to pee in it! Which I hear if diluted is a good thing for plants!

1 Like

OI know I read that using water from fish tanks is good to use
I’m going on a limb and I’m going to say if they stock it with fish :fish: the under water Environment will be a healthy one
@bob31 made a good point you should get a water sample done if you want to be 100% sure what’s in the water
They also sell water sample kits at the local box hardware stores
I would also take a tds reading first you may find it’s has low tds (ppm)

1 Like

Any chance you have a TDS reading from the pond water?

If there is fish, then is not toxicated with man made chemicals much, but send sample to a lab, check for lead, mercury cadmium and arsenic…
Those are heavy metals naturally in rock minerals, once leached to water fish and plants are slowly absorbing it and accumulating…
It does not hurt them
It will hurt you really bad !!!
I tested ours
Good luck

3 Likes

No sir, no TDS reading.

Just curious because if that number is high then maybe that would help determine.

@Aquaponic_Dumme is the man when it comes to water. I think one of his youtube vids has fish in the water.

But it’s also in a controlled environment and not a pond. His set up is nice

1 Like

Right, but I think he knows a lot about water. Clearly not the same thing though, you are right.

I wasn’t hating on your answer, I was just adding to it that his is a controlled environment. No disrespect meant brother. I know dumme knows his stuff

2 Likes

No worries man, I was acknowledging you were correct, different but maybe similar.

1 Like

So I did a little googling and came across this article. Pretty informative. Guess I’ll be having some tests ran.

4 Likes

Yeah man, my wife made me test every water source on our property before we moved in…
Its high up in mountains so no industrial worries, but the heavy metals can be a bad s$%t…
Anyway , its good to know either way…
There are some pretty simple things you can do if something shows up…
Keep me posted

Good article. I think TDS and PH is a good start since they are both meters you probably have on hand if you’re growing already.

1 Like

Well…I will shortly! Last year was my first year to grow and that was outdoors. Did fair. Fell in love with it so I bought me an indoor setup but because I had so many trips planned I figured it’d be best till I got all that behind me and had time to focus on the grow since I’m a noob.
Had a few beers one night and said, “Let’s get this grow rollin!” Put 15 WWa and 8 SK in a glass of water and was like $h!t!!! You’re going to cancun next week. Brain fart!
Seeds germinated but I didn’t have my ducks in a row before I started. Still up in the air on their survival!
Live and learn.

1 Like

You said it… being prepared is so helpful. It’s hard playing catch-up after the fact.

I certainly wish you luck and they make it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually pond water is highly beneficial due to fish emulsion. Look into aquaponics cause it’s a few guys I know that run ebb flow drip irrigation systems from a man made pond out in the country by me and one run his from a coy pond and his plants be ridiculous big and lushes, but he channel PVC pipe with a submersible pump that is control by a Titan system to water and feed his green house and out doors plants.

2 Likes

I seen whole strawberry u pick farm run and grown on one big fish tank , they fed the fish salad greens then use the water for their strawberry hydroponic growth… No chemicals or other fertilizer involved I been told…

Yes look it up, but I used my fish tank water out of my protein scrubber and canister filter. I cyphon the water into gallon jugs and store them with my rain water. The fish tank water is what I add my nutrients with when I’m using nutrients and the rain water I used to water with and my plants did great.

2 Likes