Is my lighting good?

If that’s the case, your best choice will probably be to go with a 5x5 setup from timber grow lights. Par levels would be high enough to do a reasonable job in larger space. I think the bridgelux vero 29 model is the cheapest at around $1300. There would be some other options, but I don’t feel like you’ll save a lot of money lighting that size space well without going to hid.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m making that space smaller by propping up white reflective boards. For better or worse I’m going with the lights I have now, the fluorescents, plus I ordered an LED panel 350 watts from Viparspectra. That’s about the extent of the effort I want to put into this situation right now I think. Because in just a couple months I’ll be able to grow outdoors. I did well doing that last summer you understand. The indoor deal was because I got impatient lol.

2 Likes

I understand maybe nobody cares about this lol. This is my evolving space. There are the two banks of fluorescents 40 watt each 6,500k. They can hang at an almost vertical angle, so they open on this row of seedlings like a clam. Hanging above that is a 350 watt dimmable viper. Appearances are deceiving it looks higher then it is, it’s 30" from the top of the plants. This seems like enough light to me. You know seeing as its my first time and I know nothing about it lol 20180312_153147|374x500

1 Like

8 different strains.

1 Like

I’ve got 6 seedlings growing under 100 watts of CFL and they are doing fine. That lights about two square feet. I have a reflector pointing right down on the plants and they are only a few inches from the lights. For vegging, you need way more light or they will grow very slowly. I’m running about 480 watts for vegging in my 16 square foot chamber. I’ll go to 750 watts for flowering.

I recommend strongly that you build a much smaller space, like just the size of the lights, out of cardboard painted white. This will reflect and keep most of the light on the plants. Doesn’t need a top or bottom, just all four sides.

If you have autos, then put them outside as soon as frost fears are over. If you have photoperiod plants then you can put them outside and just shine a bright light on them at midnight for 15 minutes to keep them vegging until May. Then the natural photoperiod will be okay. They won’t be ready to harvest until September or October but they should be huge by then. Keep topping them to make them branch out if you need to limit height.

1 Like

Yeah I’m thinking outside in general is better on all levels, if you have a choice. I could start building up a proper interior space but why?
Well, if nothing else I have a make shift safe space for fragile seedlings to get a grip before going outside in this cruel world. Or if I have to bring the plants in because of bad weather or whatever.

1 Like

Outside isn’t better on all accounts, it’s just cheaper. A good portion of members here lost a lot of their outdoor grows last year to things like mold, bud rot, and caterpillar damage. Not to mention things like animal damage, and thieves. You can certainly run into at least some of those problems indoors, but at least you have full control over the environment.

The lighting you have right now is fine for the size of the plants, but they won’t grow as well as they could be. Once they start getting a little bigger they will quickly outgrow the available light.

1 Like

Yeah I hear you. I grew outside last year you understand, potted plants on my deck. I lost plants to heat stress, and the fires in northern California, which ruined half of it and but I still came out with pounds. This year I have all these autos, so for some reason I started to grow early under some lights. I can rotate them to outside in shifts, as not to crowd my outdoor deck space.

1 Like

You’ll have to watch that they don’t get stressed into flowering when you transplant if they’re autos. Otherwise if they’re not going to be outside full time, or under more intense lighting inside, you could end up with some fluff as well. If you’re in tune with what to expect should be good.

I think by transplant you mean they might get stressed when they’re moved outside right. The lights I think are just going to be to get seedlings started inside, then I’ll move them outside after a couple weeks, and as the weather improves right now it’s raining all the time.

I meant those pots appear to be small for outdoor plants.

There’s usually about 3 transplanting events per plant yeah.

1 Like

That doesn’t stunt the autos and/or kick them into flowering?

Just by transplanting? Not that I know of.

@dbrn32 You can transplant autos
I wouldn’t once they flower tho myself
I actually start them in forever homes but know @Hogmaster does do the transplant thing at least once
@Joseph49
Im growing a Red Devil right now bro haha

2 Likes

Nice looking plant!

Good to know. It seems like majority of people with auto experience use similar method as you is all. @Hogmaster does seem to do exceptionally well with them! I just feel like the members that end up transplanting them end up with relatively small low yielding plants. It’s possible that other factors are involved though, or just a little easier for more experienced growers.

2 Likes

Thanks @dbrn32
Agreed im still playing with them they are different then photos and i donhave a hard time reading them at times
but once you dial the technique ls down need you can do well with them
I soing a Auto grow outdoors this season just ti see how they do outdoors compared to indoors
I keep a few mixed in with my photos

Heres a wwa i have going

2 Likes

That looks real nice! Hopefully they’ll do well, and finish up early enough to avoid the troubles of last season.

1 Like

These are indoors so no issues there buddy they will finish just fine lol
Im in control in my grow room hahaha
Outdoors Mother Nature is in control :wink: @dbrn32

1 Like