Is my light enough?

@TheVirginian Thanks for the tag my friend.

@iDontKnowGrow
Hey brother. Arriving a bit late. :man_facepalming: Plants and all. :grin:
21 in is way too close for those lil ones of yours.
36 minimum for now.
I usually don’t put mine under the big light till they’re at least 2-3 weeks old with a few nodes.
And even then I’ll ease them into it with my 600’s dimmed to 50%.
Just don’t go too much too soon. :wink:
Don’t want to cook them right off the bat. :joy:

:v::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

No probs @Oldguy, i know one of you “old” somethings is who everyone told me was the HPS/MH guru here :slight_smile: Was hoping i didn’t tag TWO wrong people because I"M old sometimes in the brain on remembering WHO, lol :smiley:

3 Likes

Glad others chimed in. I’m exclusively rocking LED lighting and don’t plan to change that. It’s already pushing 90° in my tent with my AC on full blast and two fans going. I don’t have any wiggle room to add heat with more light power

3 Likes

This :point_up::point_up: is the reason I shut my room down in the summer.

3 Likes

Yeah I seriously need to lightproof the bedroom Windows and just start running my lights at night. Desert nights are cold, so it should be a non-issue. I’m just lazy and have been paying the price (literally, thanks electric bill) for it.

2 Likes

Ty I pulled my light back up, my bad I thought more light the better. Iv had my ballast on 110% with 1000w MH from the start almost. I can turn it down I think it says on ballast 600w/750w/1000w/Super Lumens. I’m not sure if that even does anything without the right bulb or whatever so I just turned it up all the way. Should I least try to turn down or should I leave it alone. I’m going to look for my instructions again for my ballast rn. I’ll take all the help I can get with this grow I appreciate you all so much tysm.

1 Like

I know with my digital ballasts I have to shut them off , then select the intensity. In your case 600. Then turn them back on for it to switch to that setting.
Better done at lights off.

:v::call_me_hand:

1 Like

Ty for your help I am turning my ballast down now and I’m reading all kinds of literature.

1 Like

Sounds like you have already received good advice, as usual I’m always late.

MH HPS lights make alot of heat so the closer your buds get to the light the more airflow they need between them and the light. I, like most run on the safe side. A1000 watt light I would put no closer than 15 inches when buds are in flower. In veg i am more like 2 to 3 foot but I’m not dimming anything I run it full blast from jump.

If all seeds were started 2 and a half foot under a 1000 watt light in soil we would have almost 100 % germination success in my opinion.

I hang a thermometer between my lights to get a good read on what my temps are close to my light and I run a big fan blowing right under my lights so always remember it’s not just light intensity that you have to gauge as heat is actually the bigger plant killer.

You got a big dog, pretty soon you can let that biotch eat. Good luck!

1 Like

I know this is probably not the correct place for this but I may give you a better understanding, I’m new at this as well and just to give you some Ideals and I’m just a beginner myself

I got a new set of lights coming in today to help with the overheating and light coverage in the tent, this will be the 3ed set. the Lights that came with the tent and grow kit has heat sinks and fans and would put the temps around 92 to 93 degrees and when I turn on the fans to extract some of the heat, then the RH would drop to around 40% the temps would drop to 80 degrees

Then I got the SPIDER FARMER SF-1000 and will be going back to amazon if this new one work hakf as well as this one but the FS-1000 showed me what it should be like to to have some control over the climate in the tent, but it’s to small of light area would do great for 1 plant but I have 2 now and I’m going to try 3 plants next grow something to thing about going forward.

Then I saw a Video on YouTube by Justintime about the SAYHON SH2000 and the price was in the right range and the specs looked good and it was the same size tent (2’7" X 2’7" X 60") as I have

Hope you grow goes well

3 Likes

Sounds like you’re on a pretty good path.

I’m personally running a 2x3 tent presently and currently have a SF-1000 over one of my plants and a HLG 135 R-SPEC over the other. The HLG alone should really cover both plants in this size space, but they are at different growth stages and I wanted better control over each.

My current grow journal if interested in tagging along:

1 Like

I just googled the HLG 135 R-SPEC and saw it was a KIt you put together can the Ballast (I know its not a Ballast not sure of the name hope you get the ideal) outside the tent. I found out a lot about lights and heat :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I have my driver mounted right to the heatsink but it can be remote mounted if heat is an issue, for sure.

The “kit” is SUPER easy to assemble. Its effectively just a few wires to connect and a few screws.

@Kingkupa This is good Information here “Cannabis Nutrient Deficiencies & Excesses” I would have hyperlinked it but don’t know how Thanks a lot I the guy that most times won’t ask for help if the barns on fire and it is half way to the ground :thinking:

Yes. I got the HLG 260 XL and some solid core copper wire to run the driver to the exterior of my tent. It’s sitting on old wooden slats from a pallet. I need to run my other two drivers outside the tent too. They run awful hot.

1 Like

Great Information Thanks

2 Likes

How bad is it to have pinholes in your tent?mine has thousands of pinholes light leaks at every stich but i only notice when it’s pitch black but my light is on. I got a cheap tent on Amazon from opulent systems. How bad is this going to effect my grow? I patched a few pinholes that were not from the stitching I noticed right away and I duck taped em. Is it bad for light out or in? I’m in a basement and I blackd out the window so no light can get in.

1 Like

If you can see light coming out, surely it’s getting in. I recommend rtv black for tent hole patches.

Topic moved to lighting section. Will be easier for others to find.

:+1:

2 Likes

@Low I’m in a basement I already took the light out and I’m blacking out the window. I’m still going to duct tape it up. Mine is Opulent systems and there is pon holes in every single stitch and where the zipper zips it shines through. I’m going to need 2 rolls for this I have flex seal spray I was :thinking: thinking I might just spray it.

2 Likes

If your in the basement with blacked out windows just avoid the area when they are asleep. You’ll be good. I have pin holes in my tents as well… gorilla tents, Mars hydro tents, spider farmer tents.

3 Likes