Is my light enough?

Wow my baby girls are looking bad right now. I think it’s my soil either too strong or it’s not draining because I only watered when I dropped em in soil and the soil is still damp. I have no clue what the issue really is I don’t know what to do it’s so early I just started.

Ones got white tips and the others drooped bad

1 Like

You got a clear cup or some other kind of “dome” on them to keep the moisture in? Right now they “feed” by getting the water out of the air through the leaves, not in the soil. They’re root building but the roots aren’t good for much in the process.

1 Like

No I don’t have anything over them, I did have a plastic cup cake tray over em but I took it off when they popped up. I’m dumb af I had in double cup and my stupid a$$ didn’t make drain holes in the outer cup. So my soil couldnt dry up it’s been damp since first water. I only watered about a shot glass amount of water the
first day in soil and the soil is still damp due to me double cupping and not making drain holes on outside cup. I’m so dumb I hope they come back to life :woozy_face:

Nah it’s not a stupidity thing, it’s a new and not knowing what to plan for thing. We’ve all done it. I’ve gotten to the point where I tell the guy at the hydro store what I’m about to do and he talks it over with me for a solid five minutes so we’re certain I’m covering all my bases. Even then, I still miss stuff all the time.

It’s not too late to cut drain holes where you need them, but more than that I recommend putting a clear solo cup over the tops of all of them to create a humidity dome. Seedlings really thrive with 75-80% humidity, because it’s how they absorb the water til the roots form. Once they’re touching the sides or top of the cup, it’ll be time to remove the dome.

1 Like

@Graysin tysm since my light has been running my RH is a lot lower i have to get a humidifier i didn’t expect that i figured i was going to have trouble bringing it down. I put my diy clone dome back on right after i seen your msg yesterday. They are looking healthy again the one still has white tips, im thinking it’s just from the sohum soil. Im not sure i went out and got plain ol potting soil @9pm when i first noticed the white tips. I get home open the bag and it was all useless mud, really really wet mud, so im just leaving them alone for now im just checking soil and watering.

3 Likes

Try to find a Cool Mist humidifier instead of a warm one - it will help keep temps in check.

2 Likes

Sorry I been outta pocket because of this hurricane just saw my tag. That unit has a switch on the ballast or at least it’s supposed to brother. It’s on your dimmable knob. Most start at 0 then 250 then 500 , 750 up to the final selection of 1000 watts. Turn your knob all the way to the left should shut it off. Can you take a pic of your ballast yours should look like a car amplifier.

3 Likes

@2GreenThumbs
Stay safe the storm has been horrible luckily i live in central new york the city got hit bad though. Ill get an actual pic later but this is my amp it really does look like a nice car amp. Iv tried turning to the left past 600 it seems to just be dimmable i cant find on/off switch i have it on a timer now but id like to turn it off without a electric arc sending the amp in safe mode for 5-10mins it will be off then kicks on its own. I thought i blew my amp first time i unolugged it.image

Electric arc say whaaaaa? You got it hooked to a timer right? Mine is a regular ol Walmart chepo hooked to a 6 plug strip with circuit breaker built in.

You don’t need to be unplugging and replugging that light as your gonna blow a bulb eventually. Sorry I been out of pocket because of the hurricane but have you determined the cause of the electric arc issue?

I’ll look at my ballast tonight when the light comes on bud.

2 Likes

[quote=“GulfCoastGurilla, post:90, topic:73015”]
have you determined the cause of the electric arc issue?
[/quote] just make sure you n your people are safe don’t worry about the forum a lot of people are helping as well🙏🏼 thank you so much and stay safe✌️
I just think it was from me unplugging while it was on and it has some trip that shuts it down idk I did not have it on a timer I was just checking my light, I do have it on one now and I have no problems shutting it down with timer luckily. I did email Vivosun and asking about this arc issue and power on/off function.

I just noticed in the pic it has a replaceable fuse just incase I trip that I know now

Ok good deal, had me worried about ya a sec. Sounds like you got it figured out as with the timer you shouldn’t have issues. Any other issues?

3 Likes

Not now but im sure i will run into more soon. Thank you very much for looking out for me i appreciate it so much. Hope your doing good stay safe.

2 Likes

@TheVirginian @Graysin @2GreenThumbs @oldmarine @Dr.ofSmokology @Allinherhead @Budz @Kingkupa
hey guys hope your all doing great. Quick question for yas. I dropped my light down yesterday from 41"- 31" today I dropped again to 21" it doesn’t feel hot on the back of my hand at all I can almost touch the glass before it gets hot. What’s a good height in general with my type of light 1000w MH?

3 Likes

i am DEFINITELY NOT the person to ask about MH or HPS as i am NOT experienced in using them at all. I think it was @Oldguy or maybe @Oldhippie47 maybe who are the “gurus” some consider, around here on those types of lighting fixtures for growing? Hope someone can get it sorted. 21" seems low for that with the heat i KNOW they put off

2 Likes

i keep my lights at 18” from canopy.

2 Likes

do you get GOOD light dispersion (spread, whatever) with them that close? Seems the way the “hoods” on those are shaped they’re made to project outward in a bigger pattern of coverage from higher up and they DEFINITELY put off some intensity as some still say it’s the closest thing to mimicking sunlight still. LEDs are getting there but everything ive read since diving head first into this venture still says HPS/MH are the PRODUCERS! :wink: (just not very EFFICIENTLY compared to LED technology)

3 Likes

i run with one light per plant so im not worried about foot print.

3 Likes

Tysm everyone i’m actually 25" away. My lights hood is hooked up to 6" duct fan in cold basement going right through my tent. I didn’t connect my filter I just placed fan outside the tent and through the light and out the tent. The heat isn’t bad at all, I can hold my hand on the glass it’s not that hot maybe 90°f-100°f. I can’t lower my light anymore then 24" I’m out of vent hose. I don’t pay for electric so I’m not worried about that.

2 Likes

I use 400w mh for veg and 600 hps for flower. I was dimmed down to 250w mh and about 30 inches and as they matured in veg I turned up to 400w and then started lowering lights to get the leaf temps in line with the. VPd chart. Did same with the hps lights when flipped to flower. Get a ir temperature gun and watch leaf temp. Your hand has not likely been calibrated

3 Likes

Listen to other guys, I know nothing about hps light but if u have new ish phone there are apps Photone can get ur ppfd reading or DLI reading to give u a better Guess. Not 100% accurate but it free maybe ? I use them along with tips from others to help Guide me, good lou I any ? Keep asking, take a look at this thread I did and learn from mistakes

2 Likes