Is my light enough?

that’s DEFINITELY inaccurate on the wattage figures. I have the BestVA DC 1500 series (2 of them) and it is enough with 2 to do 2 plants nicely. THOSE, are only 195W each (but SAID, 260W ea i believe it was, it’s in my journal when i bought them) but again, are doing two GSC plants VERY nicely. They were NOT doing much with 6 under them , lol. What they are telling you is correct. The newer quantum board LEDs (especially with the Samsung 301b leds and Meanwell drivers) are top notch and put out MUCH higher PPFD and PAR values than the BestVAs could hope to achieve. You have them, USE them and like others said, STILL save, then you have two strong enough lights to veg with, and/or flower with, and two (or one if you get a big enough QB light) to VEG a tent full (because all VEG, a bigger footprint than they’ll FLOWER)

2 Likes

Enough light to cover a 4x4 fully is gonna run u between 350 and 450 for a cheaper lights but good quality. Ur gonna want atleast 650w draw from the wall for that tent. U can split it up for now grow a few plants sell ones worth lol get a couple more lights or 1 bigger one for future grows and expand to fill that tent.

1 Like

I’m sending my lights back but I’m still screwed I can’t even get close to 650 watts for $200 and I can’t get more then the refund of $200. So no matter what I’m stuck with not enough watts. Should I just keep them, what light is going to do better for the same price? What if I just grew 1 plant at a time in my 4x4? I only got the 4x4 for room space not grow space I wanted to do 2 maybe 3 but it it’s not good I don’t mind doing just 1 at a time until I can afford $650 watts but that depends if I can get enough quality to make some money I’m in CNY top notch is rare n expensive af

I’m not looking to fill my 4x4 I just want to do 2 plants would it be better if had a smaller tent. Do you need 650 watts for 1 plant? Or is it my tent the problem for 1-2 or strictly my lights?

I don’t want to be a wet blanket here, but there is also more to think about here from an investment perspective than just getting the light right as well…

Did you’re set-up come with an in-line fan and ducting already? Do you have soil picked out? Do you have PH Meter and PPM Meter, fan for airflow inside the tent, nutrients, etc…

Many of us (myself included) came into this without a full picture of what is needed. Just want to make sure you’re going to be in a good place once your light decision is made as I’d hate to see you get started only to run into a problem you may not be planning for down the line.

While these are weeds, they still take a lot of time and "fair’ amount of initial investment to be set-up for success to grow indoors.

You absolutely do not need the “best” of everything, but you do need a good plan and some budget past the initial set-up.

Just food for thought as you embark on this journey.

5 Likes

I have 5 GG#4 auto fem seeds, 4x4 grow tent, 7gall fabric pots, SoHum living soil, great white, recharged, hygrometers, ph meter, 6inch inline duct fan with carbon filter, de humidifier, space heater and my 2 burple lights that I’m returning for reg leds I just want to have 2 plants.

1 Like

Is this light actually 400w I could probably get 2 of these VIVOSUN 400 WATT HPS MH GROW LIGHT WING REFLECTOR KIT

Or maybe one of these VIVOSUN 98% Ultrahigh Reflectivity 3-Mode-Adjust 1000W Double Ended Reflector Fixture

short answer, yes, you could do either. it would add MUCH heat though, those run pretty hot and twice the electrical usage monthly than the newer LED technologies :wink:

1 Like

My room is in the basement its 65* F normally. I purchased a small heater to warm it up. I cant afford even close to that much watts with leds but these kind are the same price and 1000 watts. I have 6’ duct fan with filter and i have a few fans. My only options are get lower watts leds or get these bulb lights and have way more watts and id have enough for 2 plants in my 4x4 i dont care at all about my energy bill

1 Like

Hey guys so im going to get the hps bulb light i want to have xtra money incase i need a bulb or something. Can i use a 600w for 2 plants and still get max yield n quality? For heat im going to get the air cooled n run a duct for it should i just get the 1000w? Can you get the a 1000w and use a 600w bulb? Sorry im not understanding the science n math behind watts = grams x room size. Can i hook my duct fan to or is it different and do you have to change bulbs for veg n flower?

1 Like

I believe with like the old mercury vapor lamps, you HAD to match bulb to ballast but i’m pretty certain with modern HPS and MH you can go LOWER than rated on ballast just not higher so you COULD get a 1000W fixture/ballast and use a 600W bulb. Check the manufacturer’s documentation, they should STATE in “bulb replacement” or “changing the bulb” or something what to use and what CAN be used. And to answer your other question about wattage, in a 4x4 i think i saw someone calculate you’d need 400W??? at any rate, people are using 600 rspec HLG LED lights and i would think 600W of HPS/MH would do you nicely for just 2 plants in a 4x4 but certainly wait for others to chime in. @Oldguy are you the one who still uses the HPS/MH systems for lighting. If not sorry for tagging you. Trying to get some good solid answers for @iDontKnowGrow on that kind of setup. Thanks in advance if it was you and you’re able to help.

2 Likes

Thank you so much i drastically needed help. Im not buying my lifht untul i know itll be enough this time. Are you in virginia? I have family in norfolk i love VA. but i almost got shot when i was a teenager them va gangs are crazy

2 Likes

Central VA, in the mountains now for 26yrs but grew up in Hanover County near Richmond. WELL familiar with the gang/crime/drugs issues in the tidewater area. 95 is the corridor from FL to NY for that sort of “trafficking” and Richmond is the midway point… lots of “trouble” came through there in the 80s and 90s :wink:

2 Likes

@TheVirginian Thanks for the tag brother. :+1:

@iDontKnowGrow
Yes. Still using mh/hps.
I’ve got a 1000 w with a magnetic ballast.
No changing bulbs. Has to be a 1k for it.
Both the MH and the hps.
Also run 2 600 w digital ballasts.
Again I match the bulb to the ballast.

A 600 will do 2 plants very nicely for coverage.
I ran 3 under ea of mine last indoor
I also have 2 xxxl 8 in vented hoods that help immensely with heat dissipation.
Specially when coupled to a 10 in hurricane 780 cfm fan. :wink:
Btw I’m in an 11x14 room.

:v::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Awesome thank you guys so much great forum community here. I think I’m going with the 1000w HPS from Vivosun just because my tent is a 4x4 I guess eventually I’m going with LEDs so I don’t think I’ll get more then 1 unless I get 2 600Ws I haven’t decided yet. Should I go with the DE bulb or the single I’m not sure about anything anymore. Can you run your exhaust through the light or is it a separate fan I believe I only have 2 intake circles on my tent. And is the bulb for seed to harvest or do you need a different kind for flowering? Sorry I’m so dumb I have learning disability so it takes me longer to get stuff down you guys have been great I almost started with burples n they seem so outdated I haven’t heard anything good about them sorry you answered the bulb question I’ll have to figure out the difference

2 Likes

here, i’ll tag @Oldguy again, but that’s how you do it, put the @ in front of their name when asking a question so they’re SURE to see it. new threads pop up in the forum all day and yours might get buried in the list. Being tagged puts a notification in an area only you can see and know to click on it because someone tagged you. If you ducted/ported (has the round hold through hood) hood for a fan/duct system then yes you can connect it. I’ll let him answer all that as he’s much more experienced in their setups

2 Likes

@iDontKnowGrow

With a 1000 w in a 4x4 ur going to have plenty of light. Maybe a bit much at full power tho.
Assuming you’re getting a digital ballast you’ll be able to turn it down a bit. Should work fine.

Yes. You’ll need 2 different bulbs for a grow.
MH for veg. (More blue ).
Hps for flower. ( More red ).
I use the eye hortilux bulbs for flower.
Little better spectrum coverage than a less expensive bulb.

If you’re planning by on going to led’s in the future then a single ended bulb will do fine.
No need to lay out the extra for a DE.
Mine are single ended and and I’ve got no complaints with the quality of my smoke. :wink:
Nice tight full frosty nuggets. :+1:

Harvest day on last indoor. 13 Ghost from Afficionado Estates.
Germ’d 11 nov 20. Harvested 4 apr 21.

On the exhaust. I wouldn’t go any smaller that a 6 in fan. A 1000 is going to make a lot of heat.

I think I touched on all ur q’s. If you’ve got any other questions or concerns feel free to tag me.

Blessings and welcome to the neighborhood.
:v::pray::call_me_hand:

Thanks brother but I just haven’t stepped into the future yet. :joy:
Someday I’ll make the switch to led. :+1::v:

3 Likes

@Oldguy @TheVirginian Yes sir absolutely all of my questions tysm. Thanks​:pray:t3: to everyone for helping me out. I’m sure I’ll have a lot more questions soon, Im slowing down now and just reading as much as I can till my lights come. I’m learning so much already this is truly a great forum lots of great people. Have fun and be safe tysm.:v:

2 Likes

Hello tysm for the help I am finishing setting up now. I went with a Vivosun 1000w HPS/MH air cooled dimmable light. There is no on/off switch and when I unplugged it jolted a spark flew out and took about 5mins to kick on by itself even the fan on the board shut off. I blew a breaker and it did the same thing again except the fan didn’t shut off this time, there must be a auto shutoff I assume. Is it normal to not have on/off? It has 4 different dimmable watt options but no on/off what is the best way to shutoff.

1 Like