Is my inline fan too big? possibly what's causing the crazy suction of air throughout the house?

okay so I’ve got too big of an inline fan…i believe it’s400cfm and im using it with carbon filter in a gorilla a 3×3×6 gorilla tent …also important to not ive got an a/c unit I have to run to keep temps perfect…both are exhausted out the window…now the piece of material I put up into the window wasmt by any means sealed air tight. I used caulking and even a can of flex seal in hopes of sealing and insulating from outside elements…when all is up n running and let’s say my house ac unit is off… I feel the hot air from outside being pulled in through the vents you can feel the air being sucked under the door any open crack in the house you can hear the air being sucked in is it all because of that inline fan being too big? electric bill jumped WAAAAAY up! hoping for something more efficient. Might be good to point out that the grow room itself is staying an excellent temperatures and everything looks amazing this is probably my grow using hid lighting inline fans etc.

Yes inline waaay too big. 400cf will cover 4x4x8. 4" fan would be adequate, or also implement a speed adjuster.

2 Likes

If you don’t have a speed controller on it. That would help. I use a 6" fan in a 4x4 tent. I only have to use in on half speed. And that is only because I used it to control humidity in my tent. It does move a lot of air.
For your electric bill. I doubt you would hardly even notice any change with just the 6" fan. They don’t use many watts. Mine is only 66w on low and 131w on high. So about .15 cents a day.
This may help you

2 Likes

i dont think it’s the fan itself rather it’s the suction power it’s creating which is in turn sucking the hot amd cold air from the house. also i do have a speed control device however it’s not like the newer ones you plug into wall then plug fan into that…are those any good? mine came from a friend amd has a weird 3prong little plug in which I have no clue how to connect to the fan…ill post pix once I find the thing…any help with the info thus far would help

1 Like

Well, I think I know who may be best to help you out here. I would only be guessing. @Countryboyjvd1971 would be my first go to for this issue.

1 Like

so I have this hyper fan speed control any idea if it works with hyper fans only or can I maybe disconnect this little three-pronged connection and figure out how to wire it to my fan

I can’t see the fan really pulling enough air to feel in as many places as you mention. I know I have a 440 cfm in my tent add you can feel it lightly but only if you are by the tent opening. have you tried turning off the fan to see if you still have the issue? I am no expert but some thing doesn’t seem right. Just a thought

2 Likes

I am terrible with electrical things. I know you probably want to use what you all ready have. Here is a cheep on on amazon. 13.00 Mine came with the growsun brand. it is a couple dollars more. I like that you can shut the fan off from there, flip a switch to run full out all the time or adjust to what you want.

https://www.amazon.com/iPower-Exhaust-Controller-Adjuster-Inline/dp/B0714FFG4F?tag=greenrel-20

Hyper fans are dc mixed flow fans. I’m not sure what kind of fan you have, but chances are they hyper fan controller isn’t compatible with it unless it’s a dc powered fan of similar voltage.

The problem you’re running into is drawing your intake air from within the house. You can probably slow your fan, get a smaller fan, or draw some of your intake air from outside.

2 Likes

where are you exhausting your hot air? And im using Amagabeli 6 inch Inline Duct Fan 455 CFM

thank you very much very helpful

1 Like

With both the ac and fan exhausting out the window your creating a negative pressure in your home. This allows uncondished air to get sucked in at window and doors ext.

I would try to add some kind of a air intake in the room with the tent. Like in the window with the exhaust.

And also slowing down that inline fan will help.

My tent pulls and exhaust the air from the same room. I leave the door open to pull fresh air from the house. The exhaust exits the top of the tent and is pointed towards the door. If i was to close the door. My humidity in the room climbs pretty fast. I have stayed with growing autos for that reason right now. They are super forgiving.

1 Like

Yes it’s an extreme negative pressure so if I were to exhaust and pull in air from the same room like Not2sureyet does it’s looking like that will be the most efficient which doesn’t seem like it to me but I don’t know crap. I’ve always thought venting that hot air would be best… as far as Intaking outside air Into the tent, I live in AZ and it’s getting quite warm right now. my little ac until has little intake …now I saw somebody rig-up ducting to it so it would pull outside air into the AC unit intake… would that help? I really thought by venting outside the window that it would be the most efficient way turns out with this negative pressure it’s creating is beyond inefficient

2 Likes

very helpful…i won’t rest until I get this figured out. it is exhausting! haha thanks so much for the help

Yes I would try to exhaust the tent into the room and hope your little AC will keep up. That way your not sucking air from the rest of the house.

This way the warm air from the tent will mix with the room air that the AC is cooling.

I may have a similar issue as yours here soon. I have a 4x4 tent I’m my attic with a 4in 100cfm exhaust and I took the air duct from my laundry room and put that to the tent with a damper so I’m sucking 100cfm creating a negative pressure in my home as well. But my tent temp is in the 70s. I just got to get threw this summer and I’ll do something better

1 Like

Oh ya, probably not the ideal climate for using outside air as intake. I would try just recirculating air in room then too.

1 Like

it’s VERY reassuring things are now running a bit smoother…definitely more efficient. that’s what I’m doing now exhausting into the room. amd have ac set on low at 70° f keeps tents around 75-77°. thank you and good luck with your issue. I was very much considering using the dryer vent also…hope all works out

1 Like