Is it too late to top?

I’m rounding week 9 of my vegetative state on my gg4 photos. I did a bunch of video watching on fimming and topping this weekend because the difference is more clear to me. Last night I installed my scrog net and did some training. I felt confident enough in my abilities to top three instances of new growth. Didn’t want to go crazy since I still don’t know WTF I’m doing. Is there a time when it gets too late to do fimming or topping?

Also I just like to take a moment to do a little dance when you see all this beautiful new, even, spread out growth with its head pointed back up towards your lights after doing your first sea of green netting. :dancer:

4 Likes

It is not too late yet. Just veg her a bit more before flip. That is my med. Some ill veg 10-12 weeks in a 20. Height should not be an issue after the fim or top. This pic i fimmed way more than normal. Almost whole plant going to oil. Gg4 3x3 20gal. If was seeking big ol flowers i woulda done half this. Just my opinion. Lotsa different views. Most all are good. Being a photo and a gg she will explode no matter what you do to her in veg i have experienced.

4 Likes

What a beautiful grow!! I have my girl in a 3 gallon pot because that’s what was recommended. I have a 2x4x5 tent for growth space so I’m wondering if the 3 gallon is too small…? Maybe a moot point at this point.

Curious why you wouldn’t want big old flowers for making oil? Or did I misread what you wrote?

1 Like

I actually get more weight this way. You can transplant that girl to a bigger pot no worries if want. I start a 3 or 5gal. Trans to a 20 when tent opens up. I keep 1 in a 20 going in the 3x3 at all times. Being a photo and healthy you have options.

1 Like

Before flower, it’s never really too late. But it would be a rare exception where I’d want to top within about a week or two before flipping. Like if I had a really dominant branch that looked like it was going to race past the others if I let it go.

That’s sorta the “why” of topping, for me. You’ve got this branch that’s bigger than the others and growing faster. Topping divides it two, helping to even things out all around.

@Storm, it sounds like we have a really similar grow style. If you had a journal or something I’d like to take a look. Compare notes and whatnot.

1 Like

I am a lazy bum. I just read all the threads i relate to and post if have an opinion…lol. I jumped on the @MeEasy thread since such a comfy place for some bsing and earth dust knowledge for my learning curve with it. I am a very relaxed grower. Low tech but for lights and ventilation.

3 Likes

Did you keep any cuttings for clones? Something I do when I have the room to root and grow clones or keep a strain going :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

So I haven’t clipped anything off to clone. I would really like to though because I’ve become very attached to my very first plant ever and it’ll kill me to have to cut her down lol. I do know that she is a clone herself and had heard that after cloning too many times on a certain strain the genetics can start to break down. But as a person who gets too attached to plants, I don’t even really care it would just be nice to keep her around as the mother hen if you will lol.

2 Likes

I keep cuttings at the defoliation before light flip. It’s fairly easy to root them with a cloner. I use both, a Cloner and solo cup with soil or coco. As with a seedling, cuttings and the soil or water need to be wet and warm :love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

Like they said, long as you’re still in veg you can pretty much do what you want. Although if you plan on running scrog topping isn’t necessary at all. As long as you train to screen end result should be about the same with or without topping.

2 Likes

I have a bottom branch that’s maybe a thumb width from the top of the soil. Nice form but I think it’s too low based on photos of others lower branches at this stage. I think it would make a great clone but it would take off probably a quarter of my canopy with it. Would that be too stressful? I’m going to flip in about 2 weeks.

What are those white cup things? And how do you get them off after you’ve made such a nice root ball?

I also noticed she hasn’t grown much after the SCROG setup a few days ago. Maybe she’s mad at me? All of her twisted tops were pointing right back up the very next morning tho so…? :frowning_face:

1 Like

Can you post me a pic brother? :love_you_gesture:

The branch is about a pencil thick.

She hasn’t done any growing since Saturday after the SCROG aside from turn her growth back upwards toward the light. I tried lowering the light about 2" (HLG Diablo 200). Wondering if I should turn it up a bit? The topping I did on 3 of the branches isn’t producing anything but do look like they’ve scabbed over.

Also happy birthday :tada::partying_face:

1 Like

@OGIncognito also just noticed these little white spots on the leaves…? Salts? White mold?

1 Like

That branch under your thumb appears to split off into 2?? Yes you can cut and remove that branch if the top is never going to make it to the canopy height or close to it. The white cups came with that cheap little cloner (Amazon) I used sponge rooter plugs and trimmed them to fit those cups and they slide right out. Photo period plants typically experience a little adjustment time to HST but should resume growth a few days later. Look for lime green new growth. Here is one of the training methods I use after topping to spread the sides out to keep and even canopy, expose the lower bud sites and help with air circulation :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Geez those look great! Still waiting on the two jet fuel seedlings I should be getting this week. I definitely want to try topping them in the beginning because I didn’t know that was a thing on my first grow. I just ordered the clone thing with the little plastic cups you were talking about. I did end up cutting off that lower branch. It had two beautiful small branches on it that would have been perfect clones but I I’m not set up right now to do any cloning. Should I use anything to cover up where I cut off that lower branch? I also grow phalanopsis orchids and I usually will cover any cut sites with some cinnamon to prevent disease.

I almost responded to something you read on someone else’s post about pre-flowering. May I please ask you if there are any definite telltale signs of when she should be flipped? I guess I mean like telltale signs of pre-flower. Or does that just happen after you flip. I’ve been looking for that answer all day through the forum search.

Thank you so so much for the continued dialogue as well!

1 Like

A little tape with a dab of honey or nothing at all. You can still root those cuttings in some damp soil, light and the medium kept fairly warm with about 65-70% RH. As far as pre-flower for photos will come somewhere between 7-10 days after the light switch to 12/12 and roughly around day 14 you’ll start seeing those beautiful white pistils :love_you_gesture:.

2 things come to mind. Pest or scaling from the humidifier?? Check those spots out with a magnifying glass, a lot of us use a jewelers loop and under the leaves. The scaling is not so much an issue as the appearance :love_you_gesture:

1 Like