Is it necessary to let your plant sit in darkness before you harvest it?

2 Likes

Following this as I’m close to harvest and have been wondering if there is any benefits to this seen people saying anything from 24-72hrs of dark to increase potency, trichomes etc but on the info I’ve read I’m not sure if there’s any fact to this matter🤔

Ps sorry for jumping on your thread hope all is good :love_you_gesture::sunglasses:

7 Likes

Necessary , no, but most of us do it even if it is a wives tail. Some say it clears out salt still in the plants system. Some say that every day a plant is in flower you develope 1% more thc but lose .5% to light damage so a dark period maximizes thc value.

9 Likes

No worries, we all want to learn

1 Like

sounds good to me, I was thinking about a 48hr period. I just have to time it right so I leave time to trim before I dry it

1 Like

Thanks @GreenSnek i had read this was a good practice just wasn’t sure if there were added benefits to leaving you plant in dark on that what to you recommend on time scale as I’ve read anything from 24-72hrs can you shed any light on this?

And @Mosaicmind9x very true my friend this is a fantastic community and the learning is endless :love_you_gesture::sunglasses:

1 Like

Terpenes evaporate off during the day it is the plants natural defense for the light and heat when we do a period of darkness befor harvest it lets those terpenes build back up and allows for better terp profiles after the cure some say it’s definitely necessary but it’s not… I’ve had a couple harvests and I noticed the difference between plants that have had it done and plants that haven’t, some say it boosts thc but I honestly don’t believe that but it definitely does boost your terps!

7 Likes

So I guess my follow up to that one is this process… washing your buds after harvest… thoughts?

Thanks also @Teffygreenthumb very informative I shall give it a go and see how things work out :love_you_gesture::sunglasses:

1 Like

Seen a lot of people throughout the form highly recommending bud wash as it removes all the nasty stuff that accumulated throughout the grow although Kobe never done this my self it’s something I’ll be heading towards for cleaner healthier buds

Although this video says powdery mildew I believe the process is the same for just a standard wash feel free to correct me if I’m wrong :love_you_gesture::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Same video I watched yesterday lol

1 Like

Grate video very informative @Mosaicmind9x think I’ll be giving this a go at the end off my auto grow :love_you_gesture::sunglasses:

2 Likes

this is amassing

1 Like

I just harvested half of my Maui just before lights out and put the other half in 48hrs of darkness. They’ve only been in jars for a few days but absolutely no difference between the two at this point.

9 Likes

Thanks also @BobbyDigital Grate info, it seems there is no definitive answer to this question I guess I may come down to each person’s personal preference , stay safe :love_you_gesture::sunglasses:

1 Like

Basically what it is. Much like the drilling the stalk, ice baths, clipping leaf tips, etc.

3 Likes

Good convo✌🏾

1 Like

@BobbyDigital drilling the stalk? Ice baths? Haven’t come across anything like this so far can you point me or tag me where you seen this please bud :love_you_gesture::sunglasses:

They’re techniques used at the end of the grow. Theory is they stress the plant causing it to go into overdrive with its defense system (trichomes). I’ve never noticed any differences in those regards. The ice bath I did notice a difference. It caused the buds to condense and shrunk by about 1/3rd. By the time of harvest it was back to normal. The theory of producing more triches doesn’t make a lot of sense when you think about it because any new triches are going to be clear, immature triches. Here’s the same bud before and after ice bath

Maybe the techniques help it ripen faster but I haven’t noticed any difference there either. A technique I do believe in is flushing the plant prior to harvest. I have noticed quite a difference there.

7 Likes

Thanks @BobbyDigital that again was very informative I don’t think I’d be overly keen to drill holes in my girls don’t think she would like me very much, as much as everyone would like more trichomes what your saying about producing new trichomes by this method is spot on wouldn’t make sense to mature the trichomes to add new non matured trichomes, I can see a major difference with the ice bath wondering if this would be practical earlier in the flowering for extra production of trichomes and did this leave the buds more dence? Yeah Im currently flushing my one the now I wasn’t sure on this but the guys hear steered me on the write path my only problem I’ve got cloudy trichomes but the girls still firing white pistols also not something I’ve encountered before

6 Likes