Is it more common to Top first, or Fimm first?

To Top or to Fimm, that is my question… I will do both to each plant as I wish to have 8 equal size colas, but in which order? Topping would give me 2 big branches to support 4 above that would be Fimmed later… but on the other hand, Fimming would give me 4 solid branches to support 2 (topped) later. Which method would be better in terms of supporting the cola weight later?

Also, are these seedlings to young to top or fimm? I think I need to wait for one more set of nodes (I think they have 4 nodes each? Or are there more?

3 Likes

Most top after the fifth node and leave autos alone.

1 Like

I was just going to ask about autos.
So you would not do any training at all with autos , not even lst ( bending) ?

If they are autos I would recommend LST only until you get comfortable growing them. With feminized or regular plants, and if you are shooting for 8 main colas, you can fim first to hopefully get 4 tops (not guaranteed) and then let those grow out a few nodes and then top each one and that would give you 8 “top” colas :v:

5 Likes

Unless you’ve grown autos before it are willing to accept lower yields, I would let them do there thing until youve grown them a couple times.

1 Like

Fimming may not work every time…
But autos no no. Only top, lst yeah.

1 Like

Thanks this is my first time growing autos so I didn’t know, but I figured with grow time being so quick they may not have time to recuperate.

1 Like

The time frame for veg growth is so fast, the recovery time stunts the growth. It’s better to just let them do their thang

1 Like

I have 2 autos going now, one I topped and one I’m letting grow free to compare the growth rates.

1 Like

Thank you for your help.
How soon would you place germinated auto seedlings into dwc?

1 Like

Only soil grows. Cant help you there. :man_detective:

1 Like

Thanks, I will Fimm first then Top (for photoperiod plants). I have 7 new plants, only 2 showing in the pics above, and only 1 plant is an auto, the Cheese… Hmmmm… thinking back, I may have fimmed and topped my other auto cheese plants (and they turned out severely stunted and scraggly) so I’ll take the advice above… leave them alone, or just top (will see how healthy the plant does first).

1 Like

Thanks @Familyman, I have a hard time counting nodes… pretty sure I only see 4. So I’ll wait another week or and revisit the idea

I fimmed and LSTed my outdoor WW autos with no ill effects. It really depends on your comfort level.

2 Likes

what ever you do get those ladies into some better living arrangements… they look healthy enough

3 Likes

How did that work out ?
I’m thinking about topping my og kush auto. But i only have one baby to work with, so im abit confused wether to try it or not.

The un topped auto definetly produced more bud.

3 Likes

@ImAlex I have topped my autos on first and second grows but didn’t bother this time. I have never compared topped to untopped for yeilds. I would suggest taking the advice of far more seasoned forum members like @Familyman, they have helped me a lot. I was able to experiment because I had 8 plants… if I was growing only one and it was an auto I personally would not experiment.

1 Like

Appreciate it. @Familyman @Stryder1961

Im gonna let this one grow up just as it is.

I have two Ammesia Haze Autos going. One is a month old and the other about 10 days. Twice a day I lightly spread the tops of the plants and I’m keeping my lights no more than 18” above them at all times. My grow has 3 photos mixed in as well. They started in 18-6 light in the tent for the first 6 weeks and now theyre on 16-8 light to conserve a little juice.
All the plants are short and stocky with lots of growth from the sides of the branches due to the LST. From most of the advice Ive read here, Its not good to top the plant since its such a short lifecycle. The benefits of having a harvestable crop after only 3 months is the tradeoff from growing a photo which can be topped multiple times giving it time to recover and grow before the grower electively chooses to “flip the switch” to flower.
Photo’s below of my two Amnesia Haze autos as of today and a overall pic of the grow. All the plants are short and tite.

1 Like