Is Growing Feminized seeds good for a beginner?

I have some autoflowers that I have for my first grow, that so far I’m doing ok with.

Some seeds/flavors I’m wanting to try is the Baking Mix (that includes Girl Scout Cookies Extreme, Cherry Pie and Wedding Cake) which are “feminized” from ILGM. or are these available as autoflowers?
Or are feminized easy for a new grower?

1 Like

The main difference between autos and feminized photo period, is that autos will grow to flower without any change in light schedule needed. They change stage based on time, not darkness.

Feminized seeds usually get grown under an 18/6 light schedule 18hours on, 6 hours off (24h total). When you are ready to start the flowering stage, you need to change the light schedule to 12/12. This will tell the plants that “fall is coming” and they will start the flowering stage.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community ! @Knowledgegrab28 has you covered. New Growers seem to think autos are easier to grow, they can be a little finicky. I feel like you’ll do fine with either one. You can also grow both if you like in the same space. I grow both but I always cater to my photos. Good luck

3 Likes

I’m not sure why the main site suggests autos to new growers. Photos give you much more room for error and mistakes. If you stunt and auto once that’s it, it’s stunted, it’s entering flowering anyway. It does not care. You can fix a photo in veg. Get it back to healthy and flip. Auto flowers transition into flowering once their roots hit the bottom of the pot, photo period transition to flower when you change their light schedule to 12/12. So you have time to rectify mistakes with a photo period. You do not with an auto

5 Likes

If u have a timer and descent setup photos are the way to fly. Everything about a photo is significantly better than autos but but. Autos are fun to grow and do give good weed. Not weed thats say top shelf but u get what u need it does the trick and has good taste and smell but photos are much better to play woth as a beginner because if u do mistake then u can fix before flower flip. Autos wont let u do that as theu flip usually after or close to 28 to 32 days from sprout.

3 Likes

I did my first ever grow with feminized and had no issues bringing it to flower with a timer. Considering I made just about ever mistake in the book, the plants still finished off looking happy and healthy (albeit on the small side due to mistakes) with some nice stinky buds.

Timers on the lights made it easy and still got decent buds in a NOT light tight space. So yeah, get a cheap timer and go for it

1 Like

The only thing feminized seed does is make it less likely you will get a male. It isnt a guarantee. Its like the pill or a condom… not a sure bet but a pretty safe bet.
The real reason feminized seed was invented was a way to copyright a plant. If the grower cannot get males then he cannot breed the line, he would have to hybridize the genetics and thus it would not be the same strain.
Autos have the advantage of being able to flower at 18/6 this can have a major impact on bud size… the downside is the auto cannot be cloned and you cannot decide when to flower the plant.
Photo regular are generally for those that want ultimate control over their grow and may wish to breed with a superior male. They can be cloned and they can be triggered anytime the female sex has shown…
In many cases, contrary to popular belief, the photo can be made to flower before the auto. Therefore, the autos only real advantage is it can flower in really short seasons outdoors and be ready to make bud under summer sun intensity, whereas photos require a blackout shade to do this.

3 Likes