Is Fox Farms Happy Frog soil for seeds?

Hello. I went to my local Hydro store and asked if they had any soil good for starting seeds. They told me Happy Frog is ok. He didn’t seem too confident. Does anyone here know if it’s too hot for seeds? Any input would help. Thanks in advance

5 Likes

Happy Frog is an excellent seed starter soil! Ive used it for years. So light and fluffy. Just amended enough for a slight kick. Mykos as well… cant beat it.

Ive heard FF has a Light Warrior thats even better for starters, but Happy Frog fits that niche so good its not even worth chasing down.

16 Likes

I’ve always started my seeds in Happy Frog.

11 Likes

Like @PurpNGold74 and @MidwestGuy said. I start my seeds in FFHF and use it in my grow pots 2/3 FFOF on the Bottom and 1/3 FFHF on top.

7 Likes

Thanks everybody! I just got some new seeds and don’t want to waste any.

3 Likes

What did you get? :eyes:

2 Likes

I tried a different seed bank. DC seed. I got 10xbigfoot glue, 10x spaced invader for $175. They threw in 5xking og and 5 testers called time trip. So since I have you guys here, do any of you germinate naturally or do you use the paper towel method or something else? I germinate naturally.

3 Likes

24 hours in warmish water.
24 hours in dampish paper towel.
Straight into previously wet soil

4 Likes

I tried a method similar to this my last grow. Found it online. It said to make bottom 3rd michigannabis ( local super soil) and top 2/3s was Coco Loco. I ran into some issues.

3 Likes

I’ve never used michigannabis have used Coco Loco in place of FFOF never had a problem.

2 Likes

So have you ever had an issue handling the seeds once they’ve cracked?

2 Likes

Yup. I squished one tryna get it out the cup in my starter days… ive also clipped the head off a seedling tryna remove the seed after she came up with a helmut.

What seems to be ur issue?

1 Like

I’m not having one. I just wondered if people had issues with those methods. I’ve been too afraid to try it those ways just because of what you said. I appreciate all help man.

1 Like

For the most part like @PurpNGold74 does. I add a little hydrogen peroxide to my water. I also set the container of water on the satellite / cable receiver to a day to get it up to temp. Drop the seeds into it and cover them up. Tails in no time. Poor it all out onto paper towel, put is plastic bag. Make sure they good tails. Usually a day is enough. Then into seedling tray. This last time I think I broke a tail off when I put the seed in the pencil hole. At least that one did not sprout. First time for everything.

3 Likes

:joy: I’ve had that happen plenty of times and probably will continue to because I’m getting that helmet off.

3 Likes

Happy Frog and Light Warrior are good for seeds but I go straight to Ocean Forest. I’ve never had problems doing that. And that’s what I use till the end.

5 Likes

Twisty leaves is kinda normal for some seedlings. Especially if you havent fed anything aside from properly pH’d water.

Normally when I see that kind of growth, I immediately think drifting pH/rootzone distress

this is great to see! my latest plan for my 3 plants will be starting in Rapid Rooter plugs, then one gallon or less of FF Happy Frog, then all Ocean Forest, maybe with a little HF on top. There are so many conflicting accounts of FFOF being “too hot,” but your plants look like I want mine to look.

2 Likes

It’s better to be safe than sorry.

I should pick up some Light Warrior and do what you are doing. You never know with each strain if that one is more sensitive. Maybe I’ve just been lucky so far. :wink:

Happy Frog is more of a house plant soil. Try Light Warrior. I trust Fox Farms completely. All my nutes are FF.

1 Like

I also use the Rooter plugs for starting seeds and clones, then I transfer them into 1 gallon pots using Fox Farm Ocean Forest, and from there they go to 5 gallon pots in Fox Farm Ocean Soil. My plants really thrive, I also use FoxFarm Liquid Nutrient Trio Soil Formula: Big Bloom, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom (Pack of 3-16 oz Bottles) 1 Pint Each, and so far I haven’t had any issues.

4 Likes