Is FloraKleen a valuable product?

I know salts from fertilizers build up over time in the soil of a container grown plant, and may eventually cause toxic issues for the plant.

I have used FF Sledgehammer for several grows and I have to use gallons of water to flush the salts. The directions of Florakleen only use a small amount of the product in a small amount of water until you get runoff…and that’s it? How simple can this be - but my question is, How effective is Florakleen and do lots of folks use it?

1 Like

I use it but flush a larger volume of water than is recommended. It can’t hurt and I’m looking for both a TDS below a certain amount (250 ppm) and for at least a couple of days. That seems to get the solids level down enough for me to enjoy the finished product.

3 Likes

Flushing with just enough water to achieve the beginning of runoff seemed a bit questionable. What you say makes more sense in that the flushed out salts need to be removed - not just sitting there unless the salt’s chemical composition is changed.

Just as a starting point, what volume of flushing water with FloraKleen would you say to start with in a 5G fabric pot with Ocean Forest or similar soil? I’ll check the dissolved solids as you mentioned, just looking for a starting point or an idea of typical volumes you have used…

1 Like

I use it when necessary. I use 1 tbsp per 5 gallons water, and run half of that through, followed by plain water.

2 Likes

Here’s what I do: whatever the package recommends: a couple of gallons? I use straight R/O and water it in then leave it for a couple of hours. THEN I run 2 or 3 times the pot volume through in straight R/O. Watch the output numbers until you see a decent drop.

3 Likes