Is city tap water ok to use

FIRST TIMER SETTING UP HYDROPONICS AND NEED TO KNOW IF CITY WATER IS OK TO USE OR SHOULD I LOOK FOR A WELL. WELL WATER HARD TO GET. PLEASE HELP.

SAM SMITH.

City water or well water can be fine for your plant. With either one you will need to know the TDS/PPM and the PH of the water. The chlorine isn’t necessarily as bad as some people try to make it seem. It also depends on how you want to grow, purified water from and R/O system with very very low to zero TDS/PPM is better for hydro, but not absolutely necessary. No matter the water you need to be able to keep track of your PH and adjust, between 5.5 -6.0 is best for hydro, and 6.0 - 6.5 is best for soil, but in soil I wouldn’t be as worried as long as you keep it under 7.0.

Exactly what I would have said. Good one MacG.

The PH is the most important aspect of determining a water source. for hydroponic applications; You want to have your PH adjusted to 5.8. Plus or minus .3 = 5.5-6.1 is OK range for hydro.

And, as mentioned above; You want to know if you have soft, or hard water. I consider soft water to be in the 0-150 ppm range. above 150 ppm is hard water. Hard water contains more minerals and metals than soft water.

Finally; Best way to go is to buy a Reverse osmosis unit and filter your water to almost 0 ppm; Resulting in the ability to know exactly what you are putting into your reservoir. Hope this helps :slight_smile: