Is a 190 cfm fan enough for my tent

I have a odd size small tent (3ft x 20 in x 63") which comes to 26 1/4 cubic feet. Going to be starting my first ever grow pretty soon want my setup as good as I can afford to make it even if it delays the start (already has). Discovering as I go that most of my first choices were made based on BS “independent " reviews. Will a 190 cfm 4” with filter and straight duct run of 6-8" maximum be able to achieve the minimum air exchange requirements.?

Are you going to be using a carbon filter?

1 Like

You’ll be close. Will probably end up depending on how much of static load your duct and filter puts on fan. I have that exact tent, I run ac infinity so and phresh 6x16 filter in mine. It just barely fits inside, but I don’t really have to run above 50% and sometimes less than that. It keeps my grow extremely quiet and efficient, and there is all kinds of reserve left should I need it.

If you’re on a tight budget this may not be best setup for you. Filters are wear item, so I would opt for better fan over filter and you can upgrade filter at replacement time if need be.

1 Like

Yes. Whatever brand I go with, I’ll be buying the kit even though I can get the duct and clamps free. Hard to determine right now how much more I will need beyond basic 3 min exchange rule to account for heat removal. The house tends to run chilly at floor level during the late fall and winter. I’d guess around 66 to 70 degrees and very dry usually. Hope I’m not throwing too much information to the question. I know it’s difficult/impossible to give an exact answer without knowing all the variables.

So 6" would probably be better suited for it? I’d rather spend more the first time around rather than finding out during my first run that it’s not cutting it. Also any opinions on vivosun? They present the appearance of quality on a budget but I’m skeptical after narrowly avoiding the blurple blackhole thanks to the forum.

1 Like

I have a vivosun 6" and a AC infinity T6

The vivio are standard duct fans, they are loud and powerful, do you care about noise? If yes get a AC infinity of no the vivio will be fine get a kit.

For me I found the vivosun duct fan was cheapest and then I got the viviohome filter kit.

2 Likes

Thank you @Nicky. You give great advice. Wasn’t too worried about noise but since it’s right next to my bed I’ll give ac a close look. Oh and sorry about speaking out of turn in @Stosh67 's thread. I valued the same advice you gave me regarding kingbrite but being located overseas and having to deal with import fees pushed me towards hlg for my beginner light.

2 Likes

Your not speaking out of turn your giving your view that’s fine =)

I also own one vivosun fan and one AC infinity, ide like to get another AC infinity or a new house so I can put my grow not somewhere I can hear it lol

3 Likes

Thanks. I just meant that I’m a little bit green to be throwing my 2 cent in just yet.

1 Like

I disagree
You just had a very active thread on that exact issue, you heard lots of arguments.

2 Likes

I’m running 2x 6” Vivosun fans. They’re great - cheap and powerful. But I can hear them humming from two rooms away. I’ve got one cranked up to 100% though. Considering, they’re not any worse than my actual air conditioner in terms of noise, just always on.

I’d go for the AC Infinity if I was re-purchasing for my first set up again. It has the potential for remote control etc that Vivosun doesn’t inherently have. I’d also probably stuff an 8” in my 4x4 but that’s beside the point.

1 Like

Like Nicky said they are 2 different designs as far as fans go. If you go with ac infinity you will definitely want the 6". Just take s look at your filter size because it will be a tight fit in your tent.

1 Like

When I first set the 2x4 tent up I originally had a 4 inch vivohome fan in there worked ok loud but only worked for a week and a half to 2 weeks and died. Sent an email they had me send in pics and a small video of what it did or didn’t do so I did and never heard another word back from them. I won’t waste a dollar on any vivohome stuff their returns r ridiculous and they basically ignore u after they see the video u send of shit not working.

1 Like

I’ve only ever bought viviohome filters because they are the cheapest I can find lol

2 Likes

Went back and redid the calculations using ac infinity’s site for the percentile increase for each component and came up with 94.5 cfm for the minmum requirement. The 4"vivosun fan and the ac 4" are about 100 cfm above that. What is the advantage of upsizing to 6"ducting. Are the estimated values that chart was based on too imprecise or does it have more to do with the physical limit the 4" diameter?

A 190 cfm fan won’t move 190 cfm of air with any filter attached to it. The duct will also reduce amount of air. There isn’t really a standard because they’re all different. 4" duct is just like 4" hose, its going to have greater restriction than 6".

Plus there is some considerations to be taken for noise. The vivosun fan is designed to run at maximum power. It probably comes with speed adjust, but all it does is reduce the voltage that the fan depends on to make the blade spin. Which in turn will reduce bearing life and be louder than necessary. Even the ac infinity fans which operate differently 4" at full power will be louder than 6" at half power where they are moving roughly the same amount of air.

You also should put some consideration into sizing to bare minimum requirement.

1 Like

Ac I definitely have sturdier looks and smarter design features with basic and lite versions that fit my budget so I’m probably going to buy one of their t series if I can or add the t controller later if not. The filters don’t have to be ac just the same diameter. Better plan than the v sun kit I think.

2 Likes

There isn’t going to be any duct to speak of really. Shortest run possible because the 2ish x 3 tent is literally crammed into a 2 x 4 closet. I do have familiarity with airflow and ducting so the how to set up part is a no brainer for me.

Had to partially disassemble it to get it in there lol. Just making sure 6 is not over overkill before shelling out. Thanks @dbrn32, I’m sure I’ll have plenty more questions for you down the road. Also thanks @Mark0427 @Nicky and @Graysin great advice as always.

3 Likes

Oops didn’t rotate the pic sorry.

2 Likes

Hope you allow the exhaust to go somewhere and the fresh air to come in somewhere, is there w window cracked in the room?

If not your growth will be effected and a exhale co2 bag would be worth a shot.

Alot of people think they don’t work but for situations with little to no fresh air is what they are meant for.

2 Likes