Is 4 ounces a good harvest?

This is my first question on here and my very first grow. I got my seeds from ILGM and planted 5 of the 20 White Widow Auto’s. I’ve had years of experience growing many other plants, but this is my first with marijuana, so I was just wanting to know if I had a decent harvest. I’ve never even smoked weed before, but I have chronic lower back pain and was hoping this would work to get off traditional painkillers-----[warning: skip this next bit in brackets if you don’t want to hear my rant about the pain management industry :wink: —I don’t really mind being on regular pain meds, but in the states they’re becoming nazi’s (because of the so called opiate crisis, even though when you do a little research, you find out that most of the unfortunate people who are dying aren’t even using the opiates as a prescribed medication!) even though I play by all the expensive rules (frequent visits, high cost visits, peeing in a cup like a common criminal on probation, high cost medication, and always changing rules which usually cost more money and definately more hassle). Pharmacists and their tech’s treat me like trash 75% of the time when they just see my prescription as opposed to days I’m bringing in a blood pressure medicine prescription or something…and I’m tired of paying a business good money to be treated like trash. Anywho, sorry for the rabbit trail and rant.]---- I’m just finishing my harvest and my first buds measured just a little over 4 ounces from my first harvested plant. My second plant came in at around 3.5 ounces. My third and fourth plants took a week or two longer and they’re just drying now. While my fifth plant has made the biggest buds and it’s almost 12 weeks old and still has a good bit of white hair or pistils (looks like it may take 13-14 weeks or something). The details about harvest on the plant descriptions talking about so many ounces per square meter are a bit confusing to me, because I gave my plants plenty of space between them. I know many people probably get much more from their WWauto’s who have been growing longer, but is 4 ounces a good harvest for the first plant? And I’ll guess by the ones drying that each of the plants produced 3.5-4.5 ounces. From all the talk about auto’s producing small amounts, I figured that the numbers would have been smaller. I did wait to weigh them after they were properly dried, but not cured. Not sure if they loose much weight with curing or if curing just more evenly redistributes the remaining moisture left in the buds. Anyway, thanks for any feedback.

4 Likes

3-4oz/ plant is nothing to sneeze at. Id say youre doing great

6 Likes

If you pulled 4 ounces off a auto on your first grow I’ve got to say that’s pretty good. You mentioned what they list on website description of how much you can get from plant. That’s basically what is possible under the optimal conditions. Which is difficult for most growers. You’ll lose a little more weight during cure. But overall you’ve done well.:+1:

3 Likes

Thanks Drinkslinger, that’s really good to know. I sure appreciate it

1 Like

I appreciate that Bulldognuts, I think we all feel a bit lost on anything new we do, and I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track because doing all the research on how to grow, there are so many variables to try to nail (light, water, nutrients, humidity, on and on) and it’s a bit overwhelming

2 Likes

I forgot to Welcome you to ILGM forum. If you get a chance post some pictures. If you want to get someone’s attention put @ before there name like this @markthegodchaser

I would say well done. I also grew WWA for my first grow. The cured weight of the four harvested was 366 grams (12.9 oz, just under 3.25 oz per plant). My guess is you will loose around 10% between the dry and cured weight (say 2 weeks in cure jars). I enjoy gardening so growing cannabis the first time was rewarding and a fun experience. I am hooked on the growing experience. Also, I grow it for my wife as I am not a consumer. I hope it provides you with the pain relief your are seeking. There are many very thoughtful and experienced growers on ILGM forum and I imagine some with a similar experience to you. Possibly someone can make a strain recommendation that zeros in on pain management.

1 Like

I’ve never grown autos, but my first harvest was about one ounce per plant. I’d say you did real good

I say your doing great.
I have 2 grows complete and 1 on the way. Average per plant for me is 5oz. This is with training and tying them down and such. With more light I’m sure I can get more per plant.
Most importantly is watching for deficiencies and getting answers asap to fix them as my last grow had a bad phosphorus( i think that’s what it was) deficiency and probably would have yielded 6oz or better per plant had I cought it in time.

Welcome to the community! Good job 4 oz is nice pull off a auto .

1 Like

4oz is great welcome to ILGM.
It a great place for info.

1 Like

The reason you see harvest metrics posted per square meter instead of per plant is because there are so many variables in how plants are grown. The reference to area is to more or less say it doesn’t really matter if you had 4 plants that collectively had about same size canopy as a single plant, both situations would yield similar amounts.

I would say you did pretty good though.

4 Likes

Hey man! I’m right there with ya on the pain medications!! All that unnecessary stress and ur treated like some low life criminal! When in fact ur really a government sanctioned drug addict!!! Even if u take those things as prescribed u always have to worry about withdrawal!!! Ask a pain doctor how many of their patients are drug addicts … they’ll look at u like ur crazy!
Now here in KY weed is illegal so… I’m a criminal … but before I was a government sanctioned drug addict (aka criminal)!!
I’m a US ARMY combat veteran with severe PTSD and live in constant pain from a broken back … pins, screws the whole deal. Thing is since I chose not to use opioids there are times when you need something. See how ur treated … it’s horrible!!!
I too am doin my first grow. I have no idea what strain they are. One is indica the other sativa. They have tons of buds!!! And I stole a bud or two … I may be in to something!!!

3 Likes