Is 1000w HPS to big for a 39"x 39" x 79"grow tent?

Is 1000w HPS to big for a 39"x 39" x 79"grow tent?

1 Like

I think you’d be there off with 600 myself more than that is a waste in that tent @BobD1
Your looking for 50watts per square foot with hps

3 Likes

@Countryboyjvd1971,thanks I knew about the 50w,just didn’t know if over 50 is a waste

1 Like

@Countryboyjvd1971 is right. 1000 watt will most likely bring more hassles than benefits. A lot of heat to get rid of in that small of an area, and the need for additional co2 to put the extra light to work. Wouldn’t go any bigger than 600. There are probably even a few of the higher end 400’s that would do decent.

2 Likes

@dbrn32,thanks

2 Likes

@BobD1 @dbrn32 made a good point with the 400watt that actually would be spot on for your tent and anything you can do to reduce heat is in your benefit
Air cooled hood is best when using hps style light also just a thought
Happy growing :v: :cowboy_hat_face: CB

2 Likes

No problem. See what’s out there, and how costs compare. Sometimes you have to watch when you go from cheap bulbs to expensive bulbs. I’ve been out of hid game for a while, but it use to be some of the more expensive 400’s weren’t a ridiculous amount below the cheaper 600’s. And keep in mind that not all bulbs of the same wattage are exactly equal either.

@Countryboyjvd1971 is absolutely right about getting cooled hood. It will make a huge difference! And if you hadn’t already figured, probably want to make sure your ballast will run metal halide bulb as well.

So cooled hood with dual bulb ballast in 400 with good output will do. If you want to go 600, wouldn’t be terrible. But I couldn’t in my right mind advise you to go 1000 watt. In fact, a lot of people like the 315 cmh in 3x3. So that probably wouldn’t be bad either. Not trying to change your mind or anything, but if you hadn’t considered, may be worth looking into? I think @Donaldj uses them. Perhaps he would know if it’s a good fit.

1 Like

a 600w will out perform a 315w but there are trade offs a 600 produces more heat and uses more power and when I say more power we rarely consider the entire picture. To cool requires fans or AC humidifier possibly a 315w LEC is not as simple as a 300w power savings it is more like 400-450w less since they run cooler making heat easier to control and humidity as well. The only way that a 600w HID out performs a 315w LEC is slight yield increase not quality you will get better quality off an LEC with less struggles the added UV they provide makes mold and bugs almost non existent the colour spectrum makes your ladies look picture perfect start to finish. If I didn’t tell you my ladies were in flower you wouldn’t know (no yellow no purple or red lighting) just true colour white light entire grow. The UV also has the effect of increasing trich production resin and THC which is plants natural sunscreen :wink:

4 Likes

@Donaldj, thanks for the info. what is this 315w LEC( dbrn32 calls it 315cmh)

@dbrn32thanks, haven’t bought any lights yet. found the 1000w hps on kijiji. I just ordered my grow tent, now looking to light it up.

1 Like

Lec= light emitting ceramic
Cmh= ceramic metal halide
I’m sure Donald will know how to explain the difference, though I think there basically the same tech.

1 Like

@BobD1

A 1000 watt HPS is way to hot for that size of an area. 600 would work much better

Will joint

Anyone can feel free to correct me, but I believe lec refers to the technology in general and cmh refers to the specific bulb type. The 315 just refers to the power level I suggested.

To the best of my knowledge they are the same. One manufacturer may call their light lec while another will refer to their light as cmh.

1 Like

@garrigan62,thanks

@Nug-bug,@dbrn32,thanks

2 Likes

Pretty much the exact same thing LEC/CMH except that CMH if searched on google tends to get you the clunky old magnetic ballasts not the new digital ones which are digital :wink:

3 Likes

@Donaldj, thanks

There is an upper limit to light per sq ft. At 100w per ft a buddy of mine burnt up a crop. And it wasn’t due to heat, it was due to intensity. 50wt is what your shooting for :slight_smile:

@oldpro,thanks

1 Like