iPhone Macro Lens

I currently use a jewelers loop and a pocket microscope to inspect the trichomes on my plants to time my harvest, but I am looking to add a macro lens to my iPhone for pictures.

I think there is major added benefit in being able to take a picture and inspect it longer.
I would also be able to track my prior year’s progress with pictures.

Here is what I currently use:

Carson MicroBrite Plus 60x-120x Power LED Lighted Pocket Microscope

KINGMAS Mini 60x Microscope Magnifying with LED UV Light Pocket Jewelry Magnifier Jeweler Loupe

Here is one I am currently looking at:
https://www.olloclip.com/shop/shop/macro-21x-lens-8-7/

I am worried that 21x might not be enough magnification, but I guess I could zoom in more on the picture once it is taken.

There seem to be a ton of cheap one’s out there, but I would rather pay for quality that will last and perform better.

Does anyone have any better suggestions?
Anyone had any experience with the olloclip?

1 Like

Check that out! I do think 21x is not enough, imho. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DHHBD9Y?tag=greenrel-20

I like the idea of having the loup on a keychain, but this 30x isnt enough to easily tell harvest time. Now i feel like i somewhat wasted my money because there is minimal utility to this. Def pay for quality. I think at least 60x though.

1 Like

Grab a 99¢ laser pointer, break it open, and take out the small convex lens. Wrap a paperclip, bread tie, whatever around it, then tape it to the back of your phone directly over the camera lens, carefully, obviously. You don’t want to scratch your lens. I think this applies, regardless of what you’re clipping or taping or whatever onto your phone. Turn off all your fans, take a video of all your buds up close, then take stills from the video, or watch in slow motion.
I have no buds to use for an example right now, but there are some old shots taken this way here:

1 Like

FYI, I reached out to a couple master growers on Instagram and they told me not to waste my money on a nice macro lens and just get a USB microscope on Amazon for $20.

I got this one: Portable USB Digital Microscope 20x-800x Magnification 8-LED Mini Microscope Endoscope Camera Magnifier with Stand

It works fantastic and I am able to take video and pictures with it.
It has great lighting and it’s also easy to focus.

I know its not exactly what my question is, but this was the solution to my overall problem.
Looks like bluntlyey420 was right on the money.

Thanks for the advice!

2 Likes

Even though this is an older thread, I must say: This solution does NOT work with iPhone. Please take a look at the USB plug. No iPhone has this. So, you can’t just take your iPhone out to the grow and snap some pics. And yes, I do know about the use of “adaptors”. The problem is that, by the time you get all these things connected, both hands are full and you can’t touch the screen to focus or steady the bud on the plant with your hand either.

1 Like