Interference in cable tv lines

My grow tent is in it’s own little built in “walk in closet” room inside of an office workbench room. The closet is about 4 feet from my cable lead in from the outside and with the electric panel box. The cable company is coming because they say when they were working on the lines, they found my house has interference affecting the houses around my house. I have had problems with the cable for over a decade and they have never fully addressed this, but now they are coming. My 3 girls will be almost 7 weeks into flower when they are here. The noise from the extractor is loud. My husband plans on turning everything off while they are here, which I am assuming will provide with a nice smell, ugh. Husband says it’s nobody’s business. I have a medical card, but not supposed to grow. I was thinking of putting a layer of polyurethane on some wood on the workbench like I was refinishing something to disguise the smell. This is my first grow and it is certainly taking the fun out of it. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

Buy a shit ton of bacon and cook bacon while theybr there. Offering them bacon during their visit lol. Bacon disguises everything when cooked lol.

7 Likes

If the bacon could be frying in the office/workbench area, I can definitely see this working. Thanks for the smile!

3 Likes

Just have to watch using chemicla so the smells dont stick with the plant and alter the taste or smell. There is not a whole lot of thing to cover the smell of pot lol. Ma y be get some small knick knacks and spray paint in the area also. Idk. This is harder to figure out than trying to grow. Hope u get a solution going here. Good luck wishing u well

1 Like

5 Likes

It is the best part of a pig lol. About the only pork i eat besides ham. Ham and bacon. Rest of pork is just gross. Ive seen experiments with pork and coca cola and all the natural worms that come out of the meat before cooked. It was disgusting as hell. Turned me away from eating pork at all. Besudes the 2 i mentio ed. Just cant find it in myself to off ham and bacon tho

3 Likes

Welcome to the community Yeah that’s a tough one ! You may or may not be able to set the plants outside for about half a day to help with odor. Not a good situation, good luck

1 Like

If you use any type of wood finish make sure it has a very low VOC. Those can suffocate your plants if drawn into the grow space…

I’m leaning towards bacon. Haha ha

1 Like

What kind of lighting are you running… ?
Some cheap electronic ballist’s will send out rfi waves…
Also if your house was never grounded right with a grounding rod , could also cause electronic interferences…
Just some things to think about…
If you can figure out the problem before they come , than they won’t need to come…
Or at least they won’t be poking around…
:v::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Cable guy will probably hit you up for some herb.

1 Like

I appreciate all the input so far. Can’t move the plants as they are SCROGged. So far I’m thinking the chemical smell cover. Shouldn’t leach into the room if the room is closed up and just for a small amount of time. Also, I would remove the freshly “painted” wood directly after they leave. I would have moved everything a couple of weeks ago when I found out, but was put in the hospital for a bit. Now I’m trying to recover and worrying about this. This is my project and not my husband’s so he’s not as worried as me. He doesn’t smoke.

1 Like

Got a 600 watt HPS that was recommended.

I heard an interview with a former cable guy (it was actually a cable woman) and the things she described seeing would curl your toes, including but not limited to, grow operations, Russian mob coke operation, and my personal favorite a male sex slave (willing participant) in an actual cage in the basement.

I understand your anxiety, but I’ll bet dude has seen it all, will come in fix problem and you’ll never have any problem from it.

I hope the masking effort works and your plants don’t take on any fumes.

What strains are you growing out of curiosity, that are smelling so loudly?

2 Likes

I read another post about someone with the same issue.
Can’t remember if it was here.
But I do believe its what @peachfuzz said.
Its your ballist.
I think someone in that thread said that a ceramic made ballist doesn’t interfere with the signals.
But dont quote me on it.
I’d probably unplug it while they’re there.

Maybe go LED?
Good luck with it.

2 Likes

I did door to door directv sales for 8 years. That’s cable guy isn’t going to give two :poop: about your plant other than if he can get some bud from you. I would be more worried about them seeing it and trying to come back later to take it than anything else. As mentioned above They’ve seen it all and are just trying to pay their bills like the rest of us.
Happy growing, and smoke a doob and calm your nerves. Hope you have a fast recovery from your hospital visit.

3 Likes

I almost said that about how I’d be more worried about them coming back to steal from you, but didn’t want to add to the anxiety level :flushed:

1 Like

Yup bacon is the name of the game. Prob the best cover up you can use. I’ve done it several times. You could even go hard and burn the last piece. Sausage works also but not as well. I’d so happen to be cooking when they come and your husband is right it ain’t their business.

3 Likes

Is it a digital ballist…?
If so , than more than likely your house isn’t grounded right or the plug that your plugging your ballist into isn’t grounded right…
Cable guy won’t be able to fix the problem…
It’s an electrical issue…
I believe…
And as I said before , if it’s a cheap digital ballist , it might not have anything to do with your house’s electrical system…
Some cheap ballist’s put out rfi on their own…

:v::sunglasses:

5 Likes

Maybe throw a cast iron pan under that light get it good and warm then bake a cookie or two while you’re at it. I’m all for experimentation… worst case scenario… warm cookie dough. :joy:

I could be wrong on this, but if it’s the ballast, by turning everything off while dude is there, won’t he find no problem and then when you get back going the interference start back up?

That’s only if it’s coming from your set up, of course

2 Likes