Inspector came to the grow area

Hello Farmers. Fortunately I now live in a legal to grow state. Although my friend is unfortunate and does not. She is worried now as she is unsure if the inspector seen her grow. So i figure id ask you guys for thoughts. Heres the scenario:

She is refinancing her house. Hence why the inspector came for an appraisal. She grows 9 plants out of her walk in closet. They are about 4 weeks in flower. Red hairs are just starting to appear. She moved the plants in the garage and covered the plants with tons of boxes and other junk so it looks like theres just a bunch of junk on the side of the garage. Unless you walk over a mower, a step stool to get to it an move a peice of cardboard slightly, the plants are out of sight. The inspector came about an hour ago and was very thorough going through the house multiple times with photos and videos. She took about 1 minute in the garage and was out. My friend thought she was safe. Then later the inspector went back in the garage for a couple minutes. As my friend went in the garage to check, the inspector was walking back from the hiding spot which means she STEPPED OVE THE MOWER AND STEP STOOL TO GET THERE. My friend is nervous if she took a quick peak and took a photo. My friend is unsure if things were out of place. Why would the inspector be there? Maybe there couldve been a slight smell but she had a mask so i dont know if thatll help. The garage is a normal 2 car garage and her car was also parked in the garage closest to the plants to prevent this. I dont know why she was back there. Anyone think she should be worried? Or why the inspector would be back there in such a tight spot? Maybe she was trying to take a picture from another angle?

3 Likes

I don’t know about your friend , but personally I know I would be concerned in a illegal state. You just don’t know who they’re going to tell or what they are going to say. Just my thoughts good luck

3 Likes

Thats what i said but i seen a picture of her hiding spot and I personally wouldnt think anything of it. I told her to be careful because you cant trust any one but so odd an appraiser would step over a push mower as she appeared to be a doing a walk through video of everything

1 Like

I hope everything works out for your friend . I know I probably wouldn’t sleep good for a few days.

1 Like

Home inspectors are trained to look for hidden damages. From a home inspection co. website:

“Sneaky sellers will block problem areas with artwork, shelves, entertainment centers and other furniture or personal items. Stacked up moving boxes against walls are another sneaky attempt by unscrupulous sellers to hide indications of damage. Make sure you make note of any thing that seems unusual or is blocking visual observation of areas inside the home, Don’t be shy ask the seller to move any such obstacles.”

Regardless of why . . . a stranger has very likely seen the plants.

2 Likes

I”ll tell her this. Shell probably freak out lol but better safe than sorry. Shes not selling just refinancing so hopefully not much. And apparently i was told just now she wasnt there for more than a minute so hopefully the appraiser didnt see anything but i always say better safe than sorry

3 Likes

I agree with frog, i flip houses on the side, my family been doing it forever and like said above those appraisers are taught to look for any and all things. Probably her making a hiding spot could have drawn more attention, thinking the home owner trying to cover something up. If the appraiser seemed to be normal then hopefully your friend will be ok. That’s there job to be nosy. Best of luck to your friend

3 Likes

My friend said the appraiser seemed normal and actually only took less than a minute in the garage. After she left she sent a thank you text for coming and she replied you welcome have a good day! I know that doesnt mean much but even if she did see, i hope she doesnt report it.

Also I more thing. I might be wrong but I live in the good old U.S.A where even if the appraiser did report it, for the police to get a search warrant to come search her property they have to have a Court order, or bring the case in front of a judge for him to sign, to get the search warrant. It’s not like TV where cops just coming busting in. I live in an illegal state as well. Any state or government agency has to have a search warrant to enter your property, Thats the Law. And it is always advised never say nothing to cops, and if they show up do not let them in.You do not have to. Policemen’s only job is to write tickets and fill there quota. Not trying to be a defund police person, but I’m sure we all can agree Much worse things going on then growing a few plants for your self

5 Likes

Exactly.i told her that but shes just paranoid. Shes concerned also if the appraiser did see and report it to the lender, if shed lose the house. Its only 9 plants theres no way. I wish i could upload a photo of here hiding spot but the way things were set up, I personally dont think the appraiser seen and just took videos of the floor because she has some paint coming off by where the car is parked from the garage floor. But its 9 plants crazy to worry about

1 Like

I wouldn’t trust absolutely NO ONE
I would definitely be a little worried.
You have all the what if’s???
Did they take a pic
Are they obligated to report stuff like this to the company?maybe.
Are they one of those anti drug anti marijuana folks that just are eager to eat on someone?
Who knows but if it’s an illegal state I would be worried.
Good luck

2 Likes

Exactly appraiser just probably taken pics. But I know what it is like, you start thinking too much, Never really been a problem on mine lol. But all seriousness hope everything works out for her

1 Like

Yeah little worried but if they show a pic they have to prove 100% where it was. Like said above there a lot that goes in to getting a search warrant. I asked a buddy of mine who is a para legal. Always good to have smart friends

2 Likes

Thats true no way of telling

1 Like

She said she walked like a robot in a straight line almost like she was taking a video of the whole house floor. So not really different in the garage than the rest of the house.

1 Like

Shes also hoping an answer from the appraisal. Im guessing if the appraisal is given without anything else, shes have nothing to worry about

1 Like

Let’s hope she hears from lender soon that everything is OK and closing for refinance will be soon. 1 minute in garage is a very short time. But, you never know. I wish your friend good luck and keep us posted please.

2 Likes

Have she been tipped prematurely, ignorance of the Law is our fault not the Law , if they all in flower can be an issue if mentioned in some places, in veg you would think it’s not a big issue , but the whole full process is not easy to obtain but most states have restriction on how many can be in full bloom and that might help a bit ?

Will definitely do. I told her to keep me updated and if she hears anything from the lender or anyone about this she should be fine if she orders another appraisal worse case but be sure to cut those plants and get rid of them. I hate to tell her that. But 9 plants i doubt theyll be a problem and even though illegal theres no way for that amount especially if she never had anything worse than a speeding ticket. But again i live in a legal state now so maybe things arent what i think. I really appreciate input

Yes this is true. In my state any more then 5 mature plants is a felony. Little ridiculous, but I can have 10 in a veg state and no problem. How messed up is that. I live where I can drive 20 mins over a river and it legal. Like 3 out 5 states that border where I live it’s legal.