Recently a friend passed on three mother plants to me. They are poorly taken care of, and are too tall (tops very near the light in the tent, and light is at max height. You will see a lot of browning on them all over (crispy leaves).
I would love to hear your suggestions on saving them (and how exactly to cut them down to a shorter size).
Also, most of the green growth is at the top/top half…how does one deal with that if you are trying to shorten the plant?
Get some rapid rooters and clones and cut off some branches and make clones. You want the top 2-3 nones of the branches. Make clean cuts, cut off bottom leaves, dip in clonex then stick in rapid rooters. Put under dear lights and wait to root. You need to soak the rapid rooters in water first. I use a Tupperware container with a bit of water in the bottom and a used spinach container as a dome.
I would first take off all the yellow leaves. Then I would water them with some phed put water. Test ur ppms of ur water going in and then test the run off ppms and ph. Adjust accordingly. Then after u get that and they spring back to life I would start cloning like wicked said.
I would also start by remove if all the dead or dying (past the point of no return ) foliage and see what’s left and do as @Killadruid recommend bring them back
from the looks of
I need to agree with @WickedAle here cloning them once they recover is prob best there is. NO way to make them shorter
Thanks to everyone for the advice/assistance. I immediately took some clones off them, and started treating them well (a little nutrients, good watering cycle etc. So this is what they look like now (see pics). They seem to be doing great!
Also, I did get a larger and higher tent, which helped keep them away from the lights a bit.
I am going to cut clones from them once or twice more, but then flower them, and use some of the clones kept in veg state to replace these mothers.
Thanks again to all for the great advice!
Unfortunately, though, I did expose the initial clones to too much heat during their incubation, which killed them Only 6 survived (of about 36 I cut in total in two cuttings separated by one week).
I did not clear the dead/yellow leaves yet, but will do this also.