Infrared Lights

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks.

“I am a first time grower and I have a ton of questions that I’m sure I will think of I’m the future and some you at already answered with your emails. The question I hae today though, is about infrared light. I have been researching this topic for hours today and have found so many different answers. Most of them revolve around security cameras and such, not me, I want to know about using IR as a light source, not primary light source, but maybe just an added effect. Do you know of any benefits? Or should I just leave the idea in the wind?”

1 Like

I’ve seen ir studies that suggest the ir helps resin production similar to uvb, and I’ve seen studies showing that that ir helps wake plant up at the start of light cycle and put to sleep at the end of cycle. I’m not involved in light science, so I couldn’t elaborate to either being true.

If you’re considering lights that provide ir vs lights that don’t, I wouldn’t let that be a determining factor. People do plenty good with and without it. If you’re thinking about adding some ir to your existing light system that may be another story. It shouldn’t cost much to do if you’re handy.

1 Like