Indoor to Outdoor and Photo Period Change

May 19
Hello! What a great forum! Thank you!
I am basically a new recreational grower here in Michigan where marijuana is legal, medical and recreational.
I had some rogue plants here and there in younger years, but I am now more serious about gardening…vegetables and flowers too.

INDOORS:
Back in mid-March, I germinated 2 varieties of regular seeds (males and females) from Michigan hybridized outdoor stock. 12 of 13 sprouted great!
I have been tending to them very well, using an 18/6
inexpensive LED light source and a well recommended feeding plan. Transplanting to bigger fabric pots along the way…3 gallon. They were/are all very healthy and getting bushy (some early pruning), and were running out of room, so I needed to sex them and get rid of the males. I switched to a 12/12 lighting period and was able to tell their sexes in 2 weeks time
(8 females kept and 3 males and 1 hermaphrodite terminated).
OUTDOORS:
Finally…the Michigan weather cleaned up and I have transplanted the females into raised beds outside three days ago. From sunrise to sunset we currently have almost 15 hours of daylight and 8 hours of un-shadowed direct sunlight.
They all look great…smell wonderful but are all flowering, and we still have a month until Summer Solstice, 15 hours and 18 minutes of sunrise to sunset.
My Questions: What to do now? Let the plants continue to bud or prune off all flowers?
And…what should I do next year with regards to timing and lighting?
Sorry to be so long winded here. Thank you!

3 Likes

I would allow them to continue to flower, they’ll go back to veg naturally. You’ll get weird growth, but will explode in flowering.
Happy to have you on the forum!
Are you a troll like me? Or above the bridge? :wink:

1 Like

“Can’t find that confounded bridge!”
“Under the bridge downtown…”
The Trolls kicked me out!
Grin…
No Troll here…only the sincere.
Thank you for the advice!
Whew…so glad I can let em be!
Of course I will take care if feeding and pests…
Cheers!

4 Likes

@MichSurf it wasn’t literal, it was figuratively. This is a friendly forum, with no trolling allowed. But we do allow trolls, and other fellow Michiganders.

“Trolls” : people from the Lower Peninsula, who, in the minds of Yoopers, live “under the bridge.” (still another from that Stacey) I personally resent that label and think we should charge some sort of toll or something to all the Yoopers coming down from… uhh… err… never mind.

http://www.michigannative.com/ma_wordsphrases.shtml

Awesome looking girls! Hope you continue to update us on how they grow.

1 Like

Ha!
That is great!
I was never offended! I enjoy the teasing too!
Only been in Michigan since July 2018, so I am still catching on. It is so intelligent that Michigan legalized!
So…fellow Michigander…do we get all the same plant pests here as shown in the references?
Wishing all well!
Aloha!

3 Likes

Yes, unfortunately, most pests can/could happen here. I’m an indoor grower, but I may be an outside grower under the right circumstances some day.
Plants look great. Feel free tag anyone if need something. Happy growing.

1 Like

welcome :pray: and outdoor weed is the best indeed! Unfortunately you need to let the plants reveg. This kinda slows normal vegging for a while as you can imagine the plants clock has to reset.
What I do is start my plants around Jan 01 under Spyder lights, pretty good LED fixture… and around a month before I can put them out I begin tricking my plants. Like you I was on an 18/6 schedule but I know I wont see 18 hours of sun come May 01, but I will see dawn and dusk and at least 8 hours of darkness. Its the darkness that triggers our plants, not the sunlight. So I roll back my lighting a few times until I eat up the 2 hours of darkness which means in one month I roll back the timer to 16/8. This doesnt seem to be enough to trigger flowing but allows for the transition for dawn and dusk. I live even further north than you so my daylight hours are even shorter than yours. So next year try a progressive rollback of 2 hours for a 1 month period before planting date. Which for me is when all the snow is gone :laughing:

2 Likes

Thank you Cannabian!
Do you grow from regular seeds?
Being my first grow, I wanted to be sure to have at least a couple of females of the two varieties, so I germinated 13 seeds (lucky number). All but one seed germinated, so I had twelve “puppies”. I was amazed to be so successful already!
What a great diversion and responsibility to have during our Covid 45 period!
The plants really did well and suddenly I was out of room in my makeshift basement grow room, and I wanted to thin out the herd and get rid of the males. (Thank goodness that we were in isolation and without guests, as the house smelled like wonderful weed!)
So…I went to a 12/12.
By your rolling back to a 14/8, can you determine the sexes of the plant without flowering?
I so appreciate the information!
Thank you!
:+1:t2::pray:t2:This forum is so wonderful!
I am stoked by the support and community!
Cheers!:call_me_hand:t2:

1 Like

I am growing in mid west mi. Can I move plants outside
They have 5 set of leaves

2 Likes

Hello!
I moved my plants outside before that big rain system that just ended, and my plants look great to me.
By no means am I a pro at this.

I live about a mile from Lake Michigan in Allegan County.

Best wishes!

1 Like

Cheers Fellow Troll!
Hope all well.
Still growing the girls here and thought I would send some pics and ask a question.
It looks like they have continued on in flowering stage and have not had any problems.
I keep a close eye on them with regards to pests and other problems. If they are in flower mode, Am I limited on bug and mold treatments, should there ever be a need?
Thank you !

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @Piper1955 ? What kind of grow do you have going? Can you post some pictures?

You do have to be aware of certain pesticides that you can apply during flowering. Spinosad which is a bacteria, is safe to apply throughout flowering. Neem oil I wouldn’t use in flowering. It’s a very strong smelling solution. @MichSurf

Good morning!
Thank you for your replies and valued info!
Per my photos, should I be feeding vegetative, transitional or flowering nutrients?
Remember…I started indoors using regular seeds, two varieties, and Changed lights from 18/6 to 12/12 in order to sort out males.
My plants have been outside since May 17.
Thank you!

Looks like the started to flower then went back to veg. I would continue with veg nutrients now until around August/September when you’ll see it transition again to flowering. If this wil continue to live outdoors.

1 Like

Thank you!!!

Any ideas for discoloring?

1 Like

Morning,
Have you been feeding?
It could be natural die off of leaves, but difficult to say.
Berrien county here.

2 Likes

Hi
Yes…feeding properly…adjusting pH most of the time.
I am sure I confused them by flowering them before outside transplant.
I am not overly concerned…as I have several plants…in ground. Only these two in pots.
First grow…do I want to learn and be educated. It’s fun!
Appreciate the wealth of info.
Thank you!

1 Like

You’re welcome. Out of likes.

2 Likes

Happy Labor Day Weekend!
My plants are doing great…flowering nicely.
Here near Holland Michigan…Big Troll!
Any idea on when you will harvest?
I am aiming for 50% amber tricoms…
Does Michigan weather usually hold up?
I am tenting them for big rains.
Thank you!