Indoor, sealed room inside a warehouse... materials?

im about to build a 18’ x 20’ indoor,sealed grow room inside of a warehouse space. I have to put up a moisture barrier which i will be able to seal the room with… i was going to go all out and just frame up the walls like a house but then i thought… the back side of the moisture barrier/panda film or whatever will “sweat” when its cooler on the inside and whatever the barrier is up against could easily mold. what kind of wall material should i use? insulation? would an air gap be enough insulation? like a double pane window…

Is this going to be a permanent room or temporary? Because my answer would vary between the two.

this sounds like a BIG project for a novice grower,
how much previous grow experience do u have.?
what is your budget for this build.?
is this your warehouse or a rental.? (if renting, how many years on the contract.?)
what is the warehouse’s ceiling height.?
how much power will be available to your area.?

About 5 years experience…3 year lease, 18’ ceiling, as much power as I have put in…budget isn’t huge but enough to do it right. On top of the 18’x20’ I’ll also have a 10’x10’ and a few 5x5 rooms… was thinking 10’ ceiling… 16 bucket under current system on 40” centers is going inside the room…

Semi-permanent… prob build a frame and “skin it”

If I had intentions on being there longer term I’d sheetrock and cover all the sheetrock with white FRP (fiberglass reinforced paneling) . No mold and no water damage or penetration. Its not the cheapest option but you can use thinner sheetrock and the FRP will add strength as well. It’s used a lot in commercial kitchens, bathrooms, indoor pool walls, and hospitals for areas that will have water or high humidity.

3 Likes

but doesnt the frp being up against sheetrock leave an invitation to moisture,condensation and mold? sheetrock will mold from high humidity alone… maybe frp or any moisture proof panel on the inside, sealed and sheetrock on the outside… with an air gap. but if the frp ever sweats… the sheetrock will absorb the moisture and then mold…

The frp won’t transfer any moisture through if applied correctly. It is glued to the walls with a adhesive designed for it and the trim pieces are designed to complete the seals. In fast food restaurants (sonic specifically) they use it because they can literally take a water hose and hose down everything with degreaser and water.

i got you… what about plastic cardboard? the thicker stuff…?

I don’t have any experience with it to say I would trust it.

You could use the green or blue sheetrock. It’s made for high humidity areas like bathrooms. Or there’s always cement backer board.

Like hardibacker or do you mean durock?

Durock for the cement backer option

and this is for structural purposes only right?

I was responding to this. Using bathroom grade Sheetrock or cement board would help with this issue.

Yeah… just thinking if any paneling is just structural then I’ll build a frame… put up moisture barrier and leave an air gap then Sheetrock or whatever on the outside so it’s not touching the inside “wall”