Indoor no-till experiment: the permajournal

Good to know you have been to my side of the pond and enjoyed some homegrown…:sunglasses::v:

2 Likes

i’ll bet that was a great trip.

Me either. I recently smoked some Gushers, which is Gelato #41 x Triangle Kush, and it was fantastic! If Gashers has this in the genetics, then I’d say bet on green!

2 Likes

2 Likes

So I prepped the makeshift pot today, and I totally free flowed on a tray for underneath the thing. I’m actually kind proud of it.

Had some cardboard laying around, so a taped a tray together and used some pieces to keep it off the ground;

Here’s the plastic from a rolled mattress added to keep it dry:

Fits like a charm!

Then I drilled about 15 holes in the bottom.

The pot is ready! Now we just need the beans to pop.

3 Likes

Do you have air vents in the upper bin?

1 Like

I don’t. I will have worms in there… My thought was that they will aerate.

What would you suggest?

Im curious, not trying to be a smart ass but what exactly is a No Till garden in a pot? I have never heard of people growing in pots that till them? So is this something new? Are people tilling them now?
Im curious? And so Ill watch for sure!

Ok so I feel I need to explain a bit here. Ive been growi g cannabis organically for a long time. I try to use o ly organic compounds and ammendments as well as omri approved pesticides if needed.
I have learned over time that cannabis is very hungry, and while it would be nice if I could grow successively in containers, it became obvious fairly quickly that it was far easier to replace soil in pots with renewed or new than attempt to do it in the pot. A pot is not an Ideal environment for rejuvenation. I take my potted soils and blend them into my outdoor veggie garden and it gets renewed at the same time as the bulk earth does. I then replace containers with renewed soils. The process of renewing in a true organic sense takes a few years of crop rotation and ammendments.
If you are going to do it in an enclosed environment, maintaining the biome and proper input balance and ph is really really hard. The inputs just cant happen fast enough and you cannot use salts and retain a biome, it just wont work.
That said, I will be here to learn and perhaps be proven wrong? I know others have tried the biome in the pot thing with varying levels of success, but inevitably it fails, deficiencies beging to rear their ugly heads and the cheating begins.

3 Likes

Well that dart destroyed my balloon.

I’ve been growing cannabis for about six months now and I’ve got a hobby on my hands that has me full throttle. I’m growing for no one other than myself and m quite happy to be proven wrong. I make no promises about cheating, and certainly no promises of success.

And that said I see all kinds of people going synthetic and having all kinds of issues…

I’m looking forward to the challenge and I’m 100% sure I’ll have some bud to smoke.

It’s my pleasure to have you contribute your experience, so lease feel free to make suggestions if you feel there’s a chance I can actually prove you wrong.

2 Likes

definately not darting your efforts! On the contrary, I applaud them, its through experiences like these that we learn. I will say this, if you grow as close as possible to the natural way, your end product will be healthier and better. The worst case is that your second attempt is not quite as happy as your first and so on.
Generally, many no till gardeners rely on diversity in the environment, thats where container gardenings fall short.
That said, healthy organic inputs are never a bad thing, and it means you wont contaminate your garden bed when its time to redo your soil.
Id like to explain the logic at this time. Plants through photosynthesis covert water and nutrients into carbon that makes up the material we see as a plant. Essentially the content in the plant were once in the soil, its magic really! If youve ever seen a 7 foot plant in a 5 gallon pot it becomes pretty obvious that that soil is fully consumed. Empty a pot and see what comes out? Soil? Nope… a rootball.
The rootball and stem and leaf material can all be converted back into the soil through decomposition. That process takes time and cant be done effectively in a pot. In a large garden, we have organisms whos sole purpose in life is to breakdown that material and return the carbon to the soil. In itself that material is not a compmete food for plant growth, and thats one reason why crop rotation is needed. Another reason is organism that can be hostile to a plant can build up in the soil if the host plant persists there for many cycles, whereas if you move tomatoes to different ground those organism dont have enough time to become an infestation because the host plant is gone. Anyway, a pot is not an ideal environment for organic lifeforms.

2 Likes

I think there are a couple good things there…

Stay tuned and let’s see which wheel falls off first !

2 Likes

Im in! Totally worth it. I had a failure trying to air layer a plant this year, so nothing is gained without the attempt.

1 Like

Ladies got moved to their seedling pots today. That puts us in track to build the soil next weekend before their transplant. That’ll give me a chance to clean out the tent after trimming my harvest that’s hanging there this week.

Love it when a plan comes together!!

1 Like

That’s day three of germ for their move to the coir/perlite mix. It’s a plain mix so I won’t give them too long there before moving them.

@scylents I’ve been vermicomposting for a couple years now, and I can give you just a few recommendations to go by regarding your worms.

1. keep their substrate moist (like a wrung-out sponge is recommended) but not wet! Wet will drown them.

2. keep the mix of carbon to nitrogen close to 50:1. Yes… 50 to 1 !!! Reason being, organic material gets very hot when decomposing and will kill worms very quickly if not recognized and fixed almost immediately. There are many resources on the net to help you figure out what is carbon (brown=paper, wood, cardboard, etc.) and what is nitrogen (green=plant material, vegetation, etc.).

3. don’t handle or disturb the worm bin any more than necessary, as they develop pockets (or colonies) where they feed, mate, and keep warm/cool together. You may see small yellow or orange balls in the dirt that look like fertilizer balls that are included in some potting mixes, such as Miracle-Gro. Don’t remove them! They are actually eggs that contain up to 20 young worms, but usually produce 3-6. However…the entire worm population (if you are using red wrigglers, which I recommend) can double every 60 days if taken care of properly.

4. keep the temp of their bin and substrate between 50°F-85°F. Heat will kill them. FAST.

5. include some shredded paper (no glossy, color paper. Just black and white stuff like bills, some junk mail, newspaper, copy paper, etc.) with every feeding if possible. Make sure you add some water to the paper beforehand to thoroughly soak it. You can then drain off the excess and squeeze some more out by pressing it against the side of the container you’re using to wet it (I use a plastic storage bin) before adding it to the bin.

Don’t know if I helped at all because I’m not sure if I read your post correctly and understood how you plan to use the worms. If you have any questions arise, feel free to hit me up though. :v:t3:

5 Likes

That’s outstanding man. I’ve honestly approached those worms like the rest of my grow… I just watched YouTube and winged (wung?) it!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The advice there is great, thank you! I’m a bit concerned now that I just threw in too much carbon. I’ll put some wet paper towel in there tomorrow.

I see condensation on the inside of the lid, but it doesn’t feel warm on any side… hopefully they stay alive for another week or two until I can put more wood scraps in there.

Question: do you mix up the stuff you put in there?? I ask because I wanna know if I should mix in the carbon or if it’s enough to just drop it on top…

1 Like

we just give them a bed of wood shavings/ sawdust and start throwing vegetable scraps in. The worms do the rest. They arent that picky

4 Likes

Trudy, meet ILGM!

ILGM, meet Trudy!

Our first Durban poison is out!!

4 Likes

That’s 4 day germ for both
Day 1 seedling for Trudy

4 Likes