Indoor GrowJournal - 2021

The first pic - sunset sherbert looks ready to go water only but not the others.

4 Likes

Thanks for tuning in my friend.

The lower canopy of that plant is mostly white hairs still, so I did feed her as of this morning.

I was planning on beginning to flush her on Saturday, but I may go ahead and begin tonight or tomorrow !

1 Like

October 21st

Hey Everyone,

I’ve been slowing recovering from my accident and it’s been a challenge keeping up with everything - excuse the lack of updates !

Current Situation

I harvested my first plant earlier than the rest on October 10th.

I big leafed and allowed the plant to hang and dry for 9 days.

While drying, I noticed two small spots of Cobb Webb mold - I cut out and removed what was necessary.

During last two weeks of grow, I did notice the RH rising to 70% - got it to 50% by final week.

While drying, RH has remained around 45-55%.

A look at my mold issue and buds sacrificed.

The bud seemed to dry out nicely and was trimmed last night.

I left the bag open and stored in the dry room along side more plants drying to continue drying.

After checking this morning - I felt it was time to begin burping.

After burping twice and having the bag sealed for most of the day today, I’ve noticed a bit more of that fresh smell this evening.

As I’m concerned about too much moisture, I’ve moved the bag to another controlled room and have left it open for now.

I know it may be quite difficult to advise without being able to physically touch and smell at this point.

I would appreciate any guidance to make sure I’m headed in the right direction.

Thanks everyone for tuning in !

@dbrn32 @Davyg @Hellraiser @Underthestairs

3 Likes

Praying for faster healing. You did a great job and haul.
Just keep burping them it will decrease the humidity over time

4 Likes

Thank you my friend, I appreciate the Love and advice !

It looks great, smells great when a bud is broken open. Even smoking pretty well right now but I can tell by smoking that it’s quite fresh still.

The curing process has always been a challenge for me to learn as I’m allergic to the plant until it is fully dried and cured !

I wear a mask while trimming or dealing with the plant in harvest. If I try to smell the flower I will instantly have a reaction. It affects my lungs and breathing and I even break out with small hives if I make too much skin contact with the fresh plant.

Has anyone else ever experienced or known anyone that has experienced something similar ?

1 Like

Sorry I haven’t. As long you left them dry for a week they should be fine going in the bags. 3weeks or more of curing will have them the way you want it

2 Likes

Sorry altogether hear about the mold, but the rest looks great! Can’t really help with allergy either, but have you tried using a daily allergy pill to help offset?

2 Likes

Just a gram or two lost to mold, the rest has been salvaged. It’s my first time noticing mold indoors but I’m not beating myself up too bad. I was discombobulated for weeks and my pull is looking amazing so far.

For the allergies, I’m a natural remedy kind of guy so I do local honey for typical allergies. My theory along the same lines of how the honey works is to smoke a bit of what I’m allergic to !

My Gelato is still going for another week and is already the biggest indoor buds I’ve ever seen !

3 Likes

That’ll work too! I don’t take much of anything, but my wife could probably supply a small pharmacy.

4 Likes

That’s a nice harvest you have there :face_with_monocle::heart_eyes:. Be careful with your humidity and don’t let it drop too low or you will get that “hay” smell in there. I get the horrors if mine goes below 60% in the jar.
Take this for your allergy. There are two strengths to be had, I use the 180 as my allergy can be severe. We’re talking in a bath of cold water at 2am severe and this stuff kills it. I only take it until it behaves itself then the rest goes back in the cupboard till next time.

It’s absolutely brilliant, it stops hay-fever in its tracks as well

1 Like

All great advice already. They do look great. I think they gelato may have more than a week left in it. How do the trichomes look?

2 Likes

@Davyg

I have a small size dehumidifier in my dry room, it’s reading around 47% as my plants are hanging.

My first plant that I’m currently burping does have a slight hay smell as I mentioned the fresh smell. It was my first time drying only one plant and I felt it dried out quickly so I trimmed after 9 days.

The day after trimming, I noticed the hay smell begin as I started burping. I pulled the bag out of the room with 55% humidity and into the room with 47%

I wasn’t sure if I began burping too early or if I should leave the bag open to dry more. After last nights suggestions from the fellas I decided to close the bag and continue burping.

This morning, still a bit of fresh smell as the bag is opened. Nice smell as the bud is cracked.

Wondering if a moisture pack would help me although the bud does not feel extremely dry yet.

It’s been a long time since I’ve cured and I feel I may be having some troubles remembering all the details after my accident.

@Underthestairs - You are right, that picture was taken sometime last week or possibly even 10 days ago. I’ve been slow on my updates, buds have grown and shown some color !

All knowledgable advice greatly appreciated

1 Like

Sweet. I don’t know when it started flowering but it looks like it has a couple weeks left

2 Likes

Your humidity is way to low buddy, jar it and add a fan leaf or two. If that doesn’t work mist the inside of the lid and get that humidity up a bit in that jar. Let the humidity bounce up to around 65%, remove the fan leaves and let it settle back down and see how it sits. Don’t start burping until your humidity is a stable 62% for at least a week

1 Like

I appreciate the info, curing has not quite yet become my forte as this is when my allergies go nuts.

I have no idea how to monitor the humidity levels of jarred flower.

What I’ve always done is turkey bag it after trimmed. Allow it to sit open if still a bit damp, otherwise begin burping.

I keep the flower in the bag and burp 3 times a day, allowing the bag to remain open for an hour each time.

I’m currently curing my trimmed flower in a wide open room with a humidity around 60-65% - burping as mentioned.

I understand everyone has different techniques but can we all agree on a common ground for good RH levels while hanging and burping ?

I currently have my flower room around 45%, dry room around 50% and cure room around 60%.

Current Situation

After considering @Underthestairs advice - I’d appreciate some more opinions as I have never ran a ten week cycle or extended as long as my Gelato is running.

I’ve been flushing since the 18th and planned to pull on the 27th.

Bud Size.

Canopy Structure.

Slight yellowing on larger plant occurred within last 24 hours.

Smaller plants looking more ready.

I’m wondering if I should continue with my flush until each plant is ready or if the yellowing plants are in need of a feed.

My other question for the night is an issue I’ve noticed in my Veg Room.

I’ve been manicuring cuts of each of my current plants since I first flipped to flowering back in August.

As the runs have extended much longer than expected, I’ve had to do a few rounds of trimming to maintain heights.

I’ve used clean tools but my humidity and airflow have been high and to a minimum in that room as I’m still setting it up and I’ve been dealing with a lot.

Within the past 24-48 hours I’ve noticed what I believe may be “Apple Scab”.

Seems to be affecting the higher parts of canopy.

Hoping someone can help identify this issue and possible solutions.

Also any further suggestions with my drying, curing and burping situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for tuning in !

2 Likes

I use these mate, they’re brilliant. Drop the unit in the jar and monitor from your living room. I keep one in the flower tent, one in my veg tent and the other in my jar :face_with_monocle::sunglasses:. That could be light burn how far away are your lights

1 Like

Seems like something cool to check out next run but it’s a little late to be ordering and figuring out new gear right now !

I’ve always been very pleased with my bag method and my yield is past jarring quantities. I’m just trying to get a better understanding on proper RH levels that I’m shooting for throughout each stage.

I remember someone posted a chart earlier in this thread which called for 40% RH last week of flower.

In my dry room I’ve had a small DeHum running on Turbo continuously, RH had dropped into the high 30% range.

After talking here I’ve kicked my DeHum to Comfortable setting and the RH is around 50%.

Tomorrow I will try to get some readings on RH levels in the cure room and plan to continue burping.

1 Like

I drop my rh down when I’m in flower as well. It’s high in veg then I bring my second dehumidifier in and drop it. Having a high yield is a great problem to have but you will need to store it in a sealed environment somehow. Drop those hygrometers in beside your harvest and keeping it isolated from the outside world is the only way I know of accurately measuring your humidity. I know you’re not keen on buying more kit but this is the time to invest in something like this. It’s a long road to go to have a harvest spoil due to humidity being off :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

How far are you lights? And I don’t even start looking at trichomes till the pistils are 80+% brown. How many weeks since they started flowering?

1 Like

I’m all for continuing to invest, I just don’t currently have that time to spare as I’ve already began trimming.

I understand the sealed concept, I believe we both have similar concepts and just choose to use different containers.

When the Turkey Bags are sucked and sealed, I believe it may even be better than the Jar as you have the ability to vacuum all the air out of the bag with your lungs when sealing.

I’ve harvested hundreds of pounds this way that have always had much success. I’ve always just monitored this part of the process by touch, smell and smoke.

I’m definitely interested in learning how to properly monitor the RH levels throughout the curing process.

@Underthestairs

I flipped this run into flower on August 9th. The Gelato was last to flower, I’d have to double check my notes to figure out exactly when.

I’m now pushing into my 11th week. The Sunset and Zkittles that called for 8 weeks were just pulled last week. Based on that time frame - I may want to extend another week past my planned pull on the 27th ?

Thanks everyone for tuning in !

1 Like