Indoor Growing on a Budget Soil/ Soiless Grow Mediums (Not water or Aero)

You have some of the finest soil in the world to grow in. I use Alaskan Tundra in my supersoil mix and I think it really helps. The problem is that just using it alone is impossible because it turns to mud. I suppose you could mix it with cheap garden soil. I think I’ll try that with one plant.

2 Likes

I like end of season sales. Keep a close eye on the clearance aisles also :+1:. Did you use the test strips? If so, pros & cons? The good news about your ph pen is that it got you through the one Grow. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@OldSkunk I suppose I could give the native soil a try. Being new to growing, I was uncertain, and found FFOF, and everyone else used it. I used it to remove variables, from the already overwhelming amount being a new grower. It’s fine soil though, probably would be muddy. I have plenty of natural sphagnum moss to mix it with if needed for drainage.

1 Like

I’m just curious about the light system you built Any idea of total cost? I also saw you shop at the ReStore :+1:.

If you want I’ll post my supersoil mix and you could mix up enough for 5-6 plants. It’s a hot mix.

1 Like

Girls up at 4 & i swear these are like Little Shop of Horrors. Open up tent Everyday they’re screaming feed me. Also on some things like fans _ reflectors, bulbs ducting, ect, i have a back up. Bought all on sale on amazon or a 2 for. Lol, thought id covered all bases, & here i am using aquarium ph test strips

4 Likes

Which one? The seed starter or the big CFL grow light? Currently I’m trying to find a way to build cheap LED lights that put out great light. Not having much luck. I’m finding out if you want nice bright light, it’s gonna cost ya.

3 Likes

Please i want your recipe

1 Like

Hmmm. Let’s start with the seedlings light :slightly_smiling_face: What worked, cost and ease of assembly, pros and cons please. And is it easy to change or alter for increased lighting as warranted? I dared @dbrn32 with a $25 budget so I’m curious if it can be done :wink:

5 Likes

Big Walmart tub that we already had. Kitchen hood that was at the dump for free. 1 computer fan from a scrap computer. 8 rubber sockets for the lights at $2 each. I started with 8 x 23 watt 5000k CFls at $11. Those made a lot of heat, so I had to buy a cheap humidifier at Aldi grocery store to keep the plants happy. This grow, I switched to 8 x 12 watt LED spots with the covers removed at $1.20 each online for a 10 pack. All total $20 for the lights and $16 for the light sockets. It keeps a dozen plants happy for several weeks until transplant at 92watts draw. I think that’s less than 50cents a day at 18/6.

4 Likes

Awesome and thanks for sharing. The ability to upgrade economically is a plus for those on a budget & starting out and apparently has & is working out for you :clap:t2:

1 Like

A lot of reading and YouTube studies helped. My friend laughed at me about learning how to do this on YouTube.

Very nice!

@SmoknGranny I’ve seen 18-24” single bulb fluorescent grow lamps at both Walmart and menards for in the $20 or less range. I assume they are t5’s but possibly t8’s as well. Either would work for seedlings. You would just be limited to 2-3 of them. A weak light like that would require to be very close. I would caution to be careful not to get a t12 style lamp, as they offer very little light intensity.

I’m struggling finding a cheap 4-5 bulb fixture or splitter locally. Been looking on and off since last night. There are several options via amazon and eBay for as little $6. Otherwise, it’s looking like $20 or so and limited options via the big box stores.

If and when I tackle that, the bulbs are relatively easy. A simple bulb change to cold white and you could use same fixture for seedlings and vegging. Then when you’re ready flower, you install warm whites and change light schedule.

3 Likes

YouTube is my friend :heart:

2 Likes

It helped me get started. That’s where I found ILGM.

4 Likes

@OldSkunk same here :sunglasses:

1 Like

There were $25 t5s with reflector last March. Same ones now $50. I would just rather buy the photography bulbs for $17 and have 160 watts that doesn’t need to be right on top of the plants. I learned They like that light.

3 Likes

I think you bring out some informative points with your pros and cons. So between you & @OldSkunk the minimum average $$’s invested is about $26.00 dollars?

1 Like

For seedlings that’s what I came up with. I think it was $40 with the El cheapo humidifier.

3 Likes

I highly recommend YouTube as I’m more of a visual learner as I have found many others are.

2 Likes