Indicas Growth Cycle

Am I correct that an indica will still continue its veg growth a few weeks into flowering? Is there a general guideline for, say, the percent increase in foliage after pulling the trigger on flowering?

I’m trying to balance when to switch to flowering and manage my canopy so it doesn’t have bare spots, yet not end up with an out-of-control jungle.

All plants go through a “stretch period” when switching to flowering. Depending on the strain, it varies. Lighting conditions come into play as well. Best guideline I can give you is when you think they’re large enough, just flip them.

2 Likes

As covertgrower said, all marijuana “stretches” right after you flip to 12/12 and continues right up until buds begin. Some strains will double in height, some grow just a few inches. I’d flip to 12/12 before they’re almost where you want them.

Are you growing in a scrog, sog, or just au natural?

1 Like

I’m growing SCROG. Will be, that is.

Lots of things can cause a stretch, lighting, heat, genetics, and of course switching to flower.
I take it your talking specifically about the switch to flower though.
So yes plants will stretch in the 2 to maybe 3 weeks after the flip, indicas will stretch but not as much as sativas (they really stretch).
But you can prepare for it if your worried and it’s not to hard here is how:

1. Take the total amount of vertical (height) growing space you have in inches/cm.
  2. Take the total from #1, and subtract the height of your lights when it’s at its highest point.
  3. Next, subtract the height of the pot/container your plant will be in.
  4. Finally, subtract the amount of space you’ll need between your light and your plants.
  5. This varies depending on the lights; CFLs only need about 4", HIDs need 12+".
  6. When your plants height reaches half of the number you’re left with, initiate flowering!

Now that being said if your are scroging the general idea is to fill your net 75%, it will depend on strain due to genetics determine stretch alot Durring flip.

8 Likes

My fixture only needs 8" from the ceiling and is only 6" thick. And supposedly can be as close as 6" from the canopy. So by this model you need 37" and apparently I only need 20" that gains me 17" of plant space. Not trying to brag because I use the supposedly word. Im not sure 6" at full blast is gonna be good ? Maybe?
What I do know is that it doesnt really matter if you dont have penetration , what good does it do to have a 6 foot tall plant if only the top 2 feet are getting meaningful light? I think the main benefit is when you use tables or haveba low ceiling, then the 17 extra inches matters.

I think the idea is that your growing a bigger plant that spent longer in veg and thus its roots and stems are more well developed meaning it has a bigger highway to send the good stuff to the buds up top

1 Like

I get that, but bigger doesnt necessarily equal more! And the fact that the faster you can turn a full canopy into buds is generally better for you returns. Thats yhe main reason most drug dealers use SOG.

Personally i like the natural form of yhr cannabis plant its the reason my greenhouse is 12 feet high! It seems the trend is to let outdoor run and heavily manipulate indoor primarily because space is a concern. Power is expensive too so growing Thai indoors to its full potential cost a lot of money, assuming you have tall ceilings? The tallest plant I can grow indoors now is 4’6". So really, very few varieties of cannabis can be grown without either shortening the veg cycle or manipulating it, with the exception of dwarf varieties.

Autos lol