Inch By Inch... Grow By Grow. (ILGM White Widow Fem)

'Gotta sign off for the night, but I really do appreciate all the help. It’s fantastic!

4 Likes

This is the same strain as the plant I posted above imagecompletely diff color. Hard to tell with the lights but one is neon green and one is deep dark green both big bud

1 Like

Not sure you’ll find one labeled as grow specific. Just find a cheap one and look at how many gallons per day it will do. If that’s not enough, see what it takes to get a storage tank for it. I would imagine there’s some good info on YouTube videos.

1 Like

I actually think this color green is pretty spot on. I don’t like them to get super green, even in veg. She looks really happy to me IMO :+1::v:

4 Likes

Thanks @MattyBear. I appreciate the input. That plant, however, belonged to @anon95385719. My little one look a bit more like https://ilgmforum.com/uploads/short-url/7Ax7WQRuvrtzTPm271XIndBm4Zg.jpg The photo is a a few days old, and I’m currently away from home, but I’ll post an update when I get home tomorrow night.

1 Like

Here’s the one I use. It does use a fair amount of water FYI.

https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-Reverse-Osmosis-50-Gallon/dp/B00DOG63OY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529676847&sr=8-1&keywords=RO+buddie

I’m afraid I don’t know where to replace the “B” code with the proper reference. (?tag=greenrel-20)

@Donaldj, sorry. Not that up on where to stick this haha.

1 Like

Thanks @Myfriendis410. I’ve been checking this out, and have added it to my Amazon list so I can go back to it. It’s definitely under consideration. I like this better than the 5-stage units that initially popped up in my search, since I don’t really need all those other filters, mainly the RO filter to get rid of the TDS.

2 Likes

Be aware that it’s not all that efficient; ideal temp is important (78F nominal), and depending on the hardness of your water you can produce only 150 to 200 gallons before needing a new cartridge or two. I have not found any good deals on them yet. Most are $20 ea. It makes 5 gallons and discharges 10 gallons so 3 to 1.

1 Like

Okay, @Myfriendis410. I’m thinking of putting this under the kitchen sink and installing the extra faucet, which would mean getting the storage tank. What I don’t understand is where the “extra” water would go.

1 Like

It gets plumbed into your drain and is sent out that way.

1 Like

Day 22

Returned home from vacation this evening, and everybody is doing just fine. They still look a bit on the small side, but I’m trying to get used to that, and just be okay with it.

There is, however, some funky brownish growth on the surface of the soil. It looks kinda like mud, but I’m wondering if it is some sort of fungus. I haven’t watered since Wednesday, and the soil is pretty dry. (I am waiting to water until tomorrow, though, at the beginning of their light cycle.) Any thoughts on this stuff? They are in FFOF soil, though when they were in solo cups they were in a local product, Moo Grow Organic Potting Soil, so that is what is closest to the stalk.

Class Photo:

The single-fingered leaves on Plant #1 have withered up, and are about to fall off. Not a sign of stellar care, but she looks good, otherwise, so I’m not too worried about her.

#5, however, has a couple of brown spots on her leaves. I’m not feeding them any nutes yet. I’m thinking that this might have been a small case of light burn, but what do you all think?

2 Likes

It’s more likely to get light burn from getting nutrients or water on the leaves during lights on. If it was strictly from light burn, it’s usually the top half of the plant. @WonkaMan

2 Likes

Good point @Covertgrower. Okay, I’m not sure what it is. It doesn’t seem to be getting any worse… over night, anyway. I’ll keep an eye on it.

1 Like

Okay, while watering this morning, I noticed that the funky brown stuff that I’d spotted on the soil surface last night, was also on the exterior of one (#3) of the bottom of the pots.

@raustin, do you have any idea what’s up with this? (Today’s watering was the first since Wednesday [water going in was 6.6 - 6.7 and 60ppm, and the runoff was 7.0 - 7.1 and 860 - 790 ppm.])

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t know what that is. It looks like it could just be salt build up, but since it’s on the surface of the soil im just not sure. However, you’re watering a lot. Your plants are too small in that big pot to be watering to runoff, so it very well could be some kind of mold.

At this point, while the plants are still small you want to water in a circle around the plant toward the pot, away from the stem. This forces the roots to seek out water and grow nice and big. There just aren’t enough roots to drink up any more water than a few cups, so let them dry out for probably a week before you water again.

3 Likes

Okay. Thanks @raustin . When I watered today, I used ½ a gallon for all four plants (not each plant). It wasn’t tons of water, and I did circle around them, away from the stalks. But I hear ya. I’m heading our of town again next Thursday, returning on Saturday. I thought that I’d probably water them on Thursday morning, but I guess I’ll wait until I get back on Saturday.

1 Like

Yes, I doubt they’ll need another watering before you get back.

@WonkaMan I think @raustin was on to something when she mentioned salt build up. It’s probably that and minerals in the soil. Even though you don’t water to run off, I would bet that some of the water still makes it to the bottom.

2 Likes

Salt build up is pretty normal very rare to not have any fabric pots just give you a visual

3 Likes

Thanks @Covertgrower and @Donaldj. Starting today I’ve switched over to Distilled or RO water, until I can get my own RO system set up. So the mineral buildup should abate, but good to know that this is probably what this was. And thanks as always @raustin for keeping me in line… or doing your best. I’ll try to behave.

3 Likes