Inch By Inch... Grow By Grow. (ILGM White Widow Fem)

Thanks for the reply, and apologies to both of you for the confusion!

No apology needed. Im here to help when I can. :blush:

BTW, your fim looks perfect.

1 Like

Are u calling me a big mouth??? Lol jk

Fungus gnats suck! So the good news is they donā€™t look like fungus gnats. Bad news I donā€™t know what they are. Sorry.

2 Likes

Loving this grow so far bro :facepunch:t5: Amazed at how we all go thru the millions of ?ā€™s. Then meet @dbrn32 and the ā€˜lightā€™ comes on. (Pun intended :joy::joy:) but seriously this site is great. And AWESOME LOOKING FIMMING up there. Makes me nervous even thinking about it

1 Like

No worries, @anon95385719. Itā€™s good to know theyā€™re not fungus gnats, at least.

Theyā€™ve been in there for several days, I discovered them when I returned home from being a away for a couple of days, and that was Saturday night. (Life has been busy.) At least they arenā€™t ravaging the plants, so far, but I certainly donā€™t want to discover that theyā€™ve been burrowing in the soil and creating a colony of something horrendous or something like that. Thanks for chiming in! Youā€™re welcome to mouth off on my thread anytime!!

1 Like

Thanks @PurpNGold74. Iā€™ve been a benefactor of dbrnā€™s advice in the past, and certainly hope to be in the future as well. There are a lot of good folk on these pages with loads of accumulated wisdom that they seem all too happy to shareā€¦ and itā€™s very much appreciated.

Thanks for the comment on the FIM. Weā€™ll see if it really takes. It looks good at this point, but itā€™s still early, and heaven knows I am capable of screwing this up yet. Peace.

2 Likes

I use the foxfarm happy frig soil and I didnā€™t add nutes for 10 weeks.

1 Like

Fungus gnats are black. DE works for most pests. But I have to cover the entire surface of the soil. NO openings, specially not for tiny little creepy bodies.

Whatever they are I hope I get rid of them. I hate bugs so much.

Sorry for the slow reply. Iā€™ve been under the sink and sprawled out on the kitchen floor, trying to install an RO filter. Now itā€™s just flushing before I hook up the storage tank. I feel a little out of my depth here, but Iā€™m highly motivated to get some low TDS water. :rofl:

DE seems like a lot of workā€¦ to apply it correctly. Iā€™m not sure our local Agway (garden supply store) carries it, either. If I do find it, how thick does it have to be on top of the soil? Are there other side effects (for the plants) for me to be concerned about? Is Neem oil not sufficient?

Sorry for all the questions!

Donā€™t apologize for questions. Better than doing it wrong.

DE u can get just about anywhere. Itā€™s actually good for your plants as it adds silica. It has to b layered on so the soil is covered. After u water it will turn to a gluey substance. Just add more on top to cover what the water washed away. Itā€™s not that bad to work with just takes a few applications. Much easier than an RO install. Just sayin

Thanks @anon95385719. Iā€™ll look for some DE. And I hear ya on the relative ease of application, compared to the RO install. Fer sher! (Work is interfering with my new hobby, but my new hobby is putting a real dent in my sleep schedule, at least this week!)

Yeah, I think Iā€™m good for nutes with my Ocean Forest soil, for a few more weeks at least. I do think that Iā€™ll start adding some Photosynthesis Plus to my waterings though. I saw it on another thread, and it seemed to have really good results for his plants. Iā€™ll dose it at half-strengthā€¦ though Iā€™m not sure how these fungi will respond to DE. Iā€™ll have to look into that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077MMGF49?tag=greenrel-20

Man sounds like your staying on top of it, I havenā€™t exp that problem, hope you get it figured out, thereā€™s a hippy cpl on YouTube that have a great guide , in one section they kill there plants on purpose and show you how to bring them back, and there question friendly, Iā€™ll try and link it to u , sometime today,

Good day Folks. @anon95385719: I just ordered some food-grade DE from Amazon. Do you recommend that I apply it before or after watering? (It looks like it might be arriving on watering day.)

After you water.
It should come with a duster also
If it were my girl Iā€™d dust her also, focusing on underside of the leaves. Along with the aforementioned top dressing

Thanks @Nug-bug. The DE I ordered did not come with a duster. (The duster was an extra $10.) If you, or anyone, has tips for application to foliage, aside from a $10 duster, Iā€™d be happy to hear them! :grin:

2 Likes

I use an empty Parmesan cheese shaker or spice jar. Iā€™m thrifty & like recycling and upcycling :blush:

2 Likes

Great idea! Thanks @SmoknGranny. Iā€™ll look for something along those lines in the kitchen.

1 Like

@dbrn32: I have a lighting question for you. (Shocker, I knowā€¦). My tent isnā€™t terribly tall, and my qb light is currently hoisted up about as far as it will go, and is just 20.5" above the canopy of my tallest plant at this pointā€¦ which is only about an inch taller than the others.

The light is sitting just 15" above the scrog net, in the picture below, which is located just 16" above the soil of my pots. I will lower the net four inches or so, before I start training the plants.

Can I adjust the hanging wires by clipping them kitty-corner, essentially only needing to use two, instead of four (though Iā€™ll overlap them and use four anyway), and thus shortening the suspension so I can hang it closer to the ceiling, or would that be problematic, somehow? (BTW, I just ordered another qb to replace that p.o.s. Amazon light that is currently hanging next to the qb. - Iā€™ll use the Amazon light for keeping plants in veg, while others are flowering in this tent.)

2 Likes

Sure can, do stuff like that all the time. The only thing you have to do is give it a little tweak or two to get the light level. It wonā€™t naturally just go level like the way hangers are being used now.

3 Likes