I'm new to harvesting, I'm not sure if plant is ready

Hey guys, I’m very new to growing. I’m having trouble determining if my plant is mature enough for harvest. Any help would be much appreciated. I don’t know the strain. It’s been flowering for a little over 8 weeks. I looked at the trichomes with a jeweler’s loop and it looks like there are a lot of cloudy trichomes and a few clear and amber ones. I can’t tell the exact ratio of the trichomes. There are so many of them, it’s hard to tell. I hope the pics of the cola help. It looks to me like there are still too many white hairs. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Here this might help you. Also welcome to the forum.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community. Secondly you still have plenty of time left. Why? Because that flower has way to many white pistols. :+1:

Thanks a lot. That does help.

1 Like

I hope not too much time. I started flushing it a little over a week ago.

Well it looks way to early. What say you @Myfriendis410, @Covertgrower, @repins12

Let’s see an overall shot and one representative cola. In white light please.

2 Likes

I second this. We need to know if the flowers appear If they’ve bulked up yet.

1 Like

Great info. Thank you!

I third what @Myfriendis410 said :+1: :tumbler_glass: :v:

Sorry if the pictures suck.

2 Likes

No; that’s a nice sharp image. But I’m looking for a shot of the whole plant. And a shot of the whole cola. Trust me.

1 Like

I sent 2 new pics in my last reply. One with the whole plant and one with a cola. Those pics I sent aren’t what you wanted?

Only one came through.

Never mind: I’m high.

1 Like

Don’t worry, So am I, among other things :+1: :tumbler_glass: :v:

1 Like

Pretty little plant! If it were mine I’d give it another couple of weeks to bulk up. Watch and monitor your runoff TDS because she’ll start slowing down on uptake and you want to stay ahead of that.

1 Like

Yeah it ended up being a little shrub. It came from a bag seed so I’m just glad its a girl. I also can’t monitor the TDS; I don’t have the equipment. I’ll check amazon to see if I can get a monitor for next time. I’m starting to wonder if I should have held off on the flushing if it’s gonna be another couple weeks.

A TDS meter is less than $15 fyi.

Just run water for a couple of weeks. Monitor your trichomes.

1 Like

I very rarely monitor my runoff or even my solution in my hydro unless, I suspect an issue. In a jam, a cheap meter is better than no meter, in my book :+1: :tumbler_glass: :v:

2 Likes

I only go by trichome color when determining when to take em down. Like many others, I have been growing successfully for years, but still find it difficult to determine when color is clear versus cloudy. Could be my old eyes as well. Any who, when the trichomes start turning amber, say ~20%, bingo!!! down they come. Also, when insects are found, I spray the entire plant with a mix of old cigarettes butts soaked in water (10 or so) mixed with a couple drops of dish detergent, which makes a quart or so. One more tip, after I harvest and before drying, when spider mites or other are found, I immerse them in a mix of water, lemon juice and baking soda for 10-15 minutes, then rinse them in just water.