I'm looking for suggestions for a basic pipe

I’m looking for suggestions for a basic pipe. My first grow will be ready to smoke/use in 3+ weeks. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Smoking in non vape devices causes lots of long term and short term health issues, I would strongly suggest you get a vaperizor. It also let’s you Really taste the flowers!

3 Likes

Thanks, yeah, I don’t plan on smoking much, but if a vaporizer works better then I’m all ears. I’m also looking to make edibles and tinctures.

Nicky, do you have a recommendation for a vaporizer?

1 Like

I have a pax3 dry herb vape and would recommend. Best part is the material that has been vaped (ABV) can also be used for edibles. It’s already decarbed. You could eat it right out of the vape pen if you wanted.

4 Likes

The Top of the line, Gold standard is STORZ & BICKEL. Here in Canada they have the only federal health Canada certificated vaperizor, the volcano it’s my go to. They are German.

The Arizer brand is amazing stuff, it would depend if you want a home model you plug in or a battery operated model. Both have their advantages but a plug in model will last like forever. Their solo 2 is a very well rated model. The company is Canadian!

Another affordable option is Boundless, the Terra is a good model. I started with a boundless CFV, the warranty was great as this model has a weak charge port and ide break it after 6 months to a year and they just kept sending new ones lol!
Finally covid hit and I stoped using it going out since we don’t go out anymore so the volcano we have got tons of use. Now my girls smoking vape cartridges she’s trying to get off because they are highly concentrated and addictive but she’s struggling. While I’m moving to Learning how to dose and enjoy edibles for days or nights I want to be stoned, my doctors urged me to get off smoking and as a healthcare practitioner I know they are right.

The Pax, DaVinci and firefly have been well rated for a while, personally I’m not a fan and I think they are over priced.

Do some in depth research but the two brands I mentioned you definitely will not regret buying.

Ask my any questions your want I have done a fair amount of research on them.

@Twilve1

4 Likes

I use a small vape called Dynavape. No batteries :white_check_mark:

3 Likes

I’m interested in vaping flower also instead of smoking.

@BobbyDigital it seems that implies that not all of the useful THC is extracted by the vaporizer if there is stuff left for edibles.

Do all vaporizers work like that? Leftover THC in the vaped flower?

I asked for a vaporizer at the dispensary and they sold me something I didn’t understand until I got home and realized it’s for concentrate not flower.

Anyway now that I’ve harvested my first couple batches, I guess I shouldn’t be concerned with getting every last puff out of every nug, but I’m wondering if some vaporizers are more efficient than others.

@Nicky what makes the volcano the gold standard? Is it more efficient? Or is the vapor it produces know to be less harmful to your lungs?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any info, and hopefully this is helpful to the post author also.

1 Like

I just destroy my lungs with long term use. Figure the coughing keeps my lungs clear of viruses and bacteria that want to make me sick.

I make pipes out of Cherry wood. Can make a half dozen in a setting. That way if the prick border patrol agents in Texas take my pipe away I have a backup that the dog can’t smell.

4 Likes

You can vape most of it off by stirring and repacking. It’s just after a bit all the terps are gone so it starts to taste like stale smoke. That’s when I discard it into my abv jar. But you can keep going.

5 Likes

The volcano has been out since 2003 and an original volcano is just as good or better than many today. Volcanos are full convection vaperizors which is rare, most are hybrids these days. Cheap ones are conduction.

The volcano is also the only vaperizor to undergo health Canada review and be certified for medical cannabis use, this is a federal process.
It’s also the vaporizer used in every cannabis study I’ve ever read.

5 Likes

A corn cob and piece of cane worked great for smoking Rabbit Tobacco when I was 8 or 10 years old…

3 Likes

Twilve-
Vapes really are easier on your lungs. The Pax 3 is a good vape, but I have the pax 2. Its less expensive and doesn’t have some of the “bells and whistles” that the pax 3 has. It really depends on your budget and whether you want something that is portable or not. Just do your research. If you Google “vape reviews” you can look that way. Make sure you get the appropriate vape for your needs. Some are for concentrates and some are for flower. Some have attachments for both. If you could try a friend’s vape that will give you some good info as well. You will have to play with the temperatures to “dial in” your vape. Good luck, and let us know what you end up with, and how you like it. One last little tidbit. Some vapes do better with finely ground flower, while others like a less grinded herb. The salespeople may be able to tell you on that. Peace…

4 Likes

I have a Pax 3 and like it though I have not had it long and only used it a few times, fits easily in a pocket and gets decent amount of vapor for a small portable “take with you anywhere” type of vaporizer. Volcano is awesome for home use, had one but gave it away to a friend that needed it more than I did, will have to get another volcano.

4 Likes

If you are looking for a desktop I recommend the arizer q extreme just got mine like 3 weeks ago and love it It can do bags or straight toke and all thier vapes are actually Rated high

4 Likes

Mr. Raiser-
I have not had good luck with vapes. You research and buy based on that, but you can’t return them once you realize they are not working well. I opted for the Pax 2 instead of the 3, but I get no visible vapor on any of the heat settings. And the Blueberry that goes into it is in a jar at 62% humidity. I have finely ground it and tried a coarser blend too. That is 2 out of 3 vapes that don’t seem to work right. My MIG vape has no air flow at all. Can’t get a pull to save my life. Any ideas on the pax that I could try? Thank you sir, you are, and have always been, very knowledgeable and helpful to so many growers. That says more in my book than anything. Trying to get grow 3 going. Got tails on my seeds and planted them but they have not come up yet. Tomorrow will be day 5 that I put them into soil. I may have to drop a couple more if I don’t have anything in a week or so. Peace…

2 Likes

My daughter borrowed my Pax 3 to check out a while back and she comes back after a few minutes and says she’s not getting much vapor from it. So I check it out and notice that the “oven” was very loosely filled compared to how I usually pack it, so I pack the oven like I normally do and give it back to her and it’s pumping out plenty of vapor. I tell the daughter you gotta really pack the Pax. LOL

I pack the oven pretty firmly and full to where the oven door barely goes back in place. Try packing it tighter than you’ve done before and see if it works any better. My daughter didn’t want to pack it too tight thinking it would decrease air flow but it has to be packed pretty tightly so there is plenty of contact with the weed and walls of the oven. I normally start with heat setting 2, then after 4 or 5 vapes - I stir the weed in the oven - then pack it back down and kick up to heat setting 3 to finish it.

3 Likes

@Twelve1

Based on what I read here and then what I read on review sites, I went with a x-max Starry v3.

It resembles the Pax shape and size but has a digital read out for temperatures instead of using your phone, and was significantly cheaper. Regular price seems to be 89 or 99 depending on where you buy it, but I found it on sale at a place called puff it up for $71 including a free grinder which I was planning to buy anyway.

The other nice features is a USB charger, another brand I was considering wasn’t USB so you would have to buy a charger for your car.

Should be here in a couple days. I’ll come back and post first impressions when it arrives.

3 Likes

Mr. Raiser-
I tried packing the bowls down on my pax 2 and still did not get any visible vapor on the exhale. I even packed it so tight one time that it was hard to get a pull off it. Its funny to me that I get the best vape performance from my cheapo Exus mini vape. You can choose what temp setting you want and the taste is good for the first couple of hits. But the Pax 2, Yocan hit, and Mig drez anniversary edition vape all have problems. I do get a little buzz from the pax2, but nothing from the other 2. I wish I knew more people here that had vapes, so I could try theirs. Because here where I am, you can do all the research in the world and still come up empty. Its frustrating because I am on a fixed income. Thanks for your help Mr. Raiser, as always you give good advice and tips. Peace…

2 Likes

Mr. Raiser-
I had one more question sir. How long should I give those seeds before I start over? I have never had any that didn’t grow. I dont know if it will help or not, but here’s what the seeds looked like before I potted them in solo cups.

Sorry, the camera didn’t focus right. The bb had growth coming out of both ends, and I thought the side with the bigger growth was the root. Thank you very much. Sorry for another bb “book.” Peace…

2 Likes

The vast majority of my seeds sprout in 4 or 5 days after planting or they never do, I’d give them 7 days after planting before giving up on them. I usually dig them up to see what happened.

Sorry to hear the Pax is not working any better.

2 Likes